Novel reading advice needed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Nov 24, 2018.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Nov 24, 2018

So I'm teaching an older grade now (5th) and we'll be reading our first novel. I'm trying to figure out HOW to pace this...

Would it be silly to focus solely on our novel and hold off on our regular basal reading books? I'm thinking if we don't anyway, the novel will spill over into Christmas break. I don't want that gap. I guess I can just wait to start our novel AFTER Christmas too...ugh...lol.

I'd still have to incorporate our Vocabulary and Grammar Workshop too, so it wouldn't be ALL novel for the entire time every day.

I'd love any advice/help!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 24, 2018

I would focus on the novel and skip the basal for a while. Make sure to have lots of journal assignments, interactive work, and interesting options to choose from to extend the novel. Will you be reading aloud at all? I used to have them read a chapter and then I would read it aloud with them following along. What novel are you going to use?

4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Nov 24, 2018

That’s what I’m thinking to do- focus on JUST the novel. Yes, I was planning on reading aloud too but might do what you said- have them read independently and then read it together. Do you have them read it independently during class time or as homework the night before?

Our first novel will be “Hoot”. It was recommended by a colleague and she feels it’s grade appropriate. I plan on doing extended activities- as you said...just not sure WHAT they are yet but I’ll get there! Lol

I decided to wait until we get back from Christmas break. That way there’s no rush or gap either. It’s my first time doing this, so I’m hoping it all works as I plan! I’m nervous! Lol

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 25, 2018

I'm out of the classroom now, but novel studies were my favorite thing to do with my 5th graders. Hoot should be fine. Some things I did (with novels in general) was to have them keep journals to answer daily questions for each chapter that I assigned for them to read; have them note any questions, predictions, favorite words; identify important events, etc.

Other activities:
    Keep a large character poster and add each new character and show chapter he/she appears in the book
    Do the same for settings
    Put butcher paper on the walls or board and have groups illustrate pivotal scenes
    Write letters to main characters giving advice
    Have students annotate blank character outlines with personality traits as they encounter evidence in the chapters
    Make comic strips of key scenes

Obadiah likes this.
  6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Nov 26, 2018

Wow, Daisy! So many great ideas...thank you :)

I’ll def have to select a few to start using and go from there. I’m hoping they enjoy this book!

Thanks again for all of your awesome input!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 26, 2018

I hope you have a great experience with the class!

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 10, 2018

I love novel studies just for the discussions alone. In 4th we have 3 class novels. Save me a seat, the one and only Ivan and unbound. I love picking books that have deep themes they can apply to their own lives.

We do all sorts, answer comprehension questions, write an opinion writing on the ethics of zoos to go with Ivan. Create Google presentations, vocab in context, predictions, find themes, write to characters in the book etc. I'd stop and do just the novel and also do some nonfiction that is connected to the novel.