Novel in an Hour

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsC, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2006

Has anyone tried this? I used it today with some success. We used a little more than an hour, but, basically in just under 2 hours, the class covered a novel! I read the first chapter, then each group of 6 students was assigned a portion of the novel to read and then present in an interesting way to the class. I'm feeling pretty good about it and would like to try it again and would love some feedback from anyone else who has tried this approach.

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jan 13, 2006

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of this approach.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Jan 13, 2006

I think I understand the benefits, but I have never tried it. Each group covers a portion of a novel as they would a selection from their lit book (although I am not sure I could cover that many skills in an hour). A benefit may be that someone may choose to read the entire novel? The exposure is the main benefit that I see. However, isn't it a bit confusing for the group who gets a section several sections past the whole group section?

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2006

The benefits as I see them:
    - exposure to a novel or author they may not choose on their own or a novel that ties in with a classroom theme
    - focus on identifying the main idea and providing relevant supporting details (an important expectation in our provincial curriculum)
    - ability to focus on one literary element in a small section that is part of a whole
    - group skills of cooperation, compromise and problem-solving--they had a difficult task to complete in a short period of time with people they may not ususally choose to work with.
    - drama (many groups acted out their section, could use narration and tableaux, etc)
    - adapting a piece of literature for presentation in another form (play, radio play, poem, rap, etc)
    - use of a variety of graphic organizers we have used for other activities--storyboard, story web, timeline
    - listening skills--they needed to listen to other groups to understand what happened in the rest of the book (it was great watching the "lights go on" as they realized the importance of something that had occurred in their chapter)
    - fun--the kids loved this activity, and I was able to link to many curriculum expectations
    - sense of accomplishment for the kids--they went home saying that they had "done" a whole novel in a day!

I know that this isn't for everyone, and depending on how your school, district, or state standards are written it may not be able to be done. For me and my class, however, it is an activity we will definately do again!