Novel Guided Reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OUOhYeah, May 7, 2016.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 7, 2016

Has anyone ever done this? Where you work with 3 groups based off of lexile level and do a guided reading unit with them vs. doing the leveled books? You still do progress monitoring and testing, but mostly you do 3 different books a quarter.

3. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 7, 2016

I forgot to add that we rotate each book. For example Group A would be my low group and they would start out reading a book, then Group B would read another book. Group b would then read Group A's book during the second quarter.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 7, 2016

I wouldn't use Lexile levels, but I do something very similar to this. I make it a little more open though (If Group A wants to read Group B's book second quarter, I'll present it as an option, but would have other options, also).

5. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 7, 2016

What do you mean? So you do Guided Reading Novels?

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 7, 2016

How do you have the kids read the books? Do you have them read independently, or together?

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 7, 2016

It's kind of a guided novel study. I have a few stop-and-teach points in mind with each book, but the students are largely in charge of monitoring themselves.

8. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 7, 2016

Perfect that's exactly what I want.

9. Jac91

Jac91 Rookie

May 9, 2016

I do 3 Lit circles a year for my 3rd grade class! I created jobs for the groups and they are in charge of guiding the discussion themselves. I still have stop and teach moments but it's mainly them deciding what they think is important to talk about. I do it with the extension books for Journeys but hope to re-do it so the students have different book options all based on the same topics. I just polished my last Lit Circle for Sarah, Plain and Tall so if you need any advice or would like to see my Lit Circle Sheets I'd be happy to help!

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 9, 2016

I'd love to see your lit circle sheets, if you wouldn't mind sharing!

11. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 9, 2016

Just posted something about guided reading also. I am trying novel guided reading now to see how I like it. I have the chapters that the kids have to read each day then I have a task or questions to go with their book. I am really liking it so far. It keeps them engaged. I used maps scores to find their lexile range and then I am using that to put them in groups. I have them do work independently but then when they meet with me we have discussion etc. Next year I plan on moving each group up lexile levels each round as long as they are ready.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 9, 2016

Are you guys using this lit. circles/guided novels as your reading comprehension/thinking instruction or is this more of their independent reading time or something more?

13. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 9, 2016

I love Sarah Plain and Tall and would love to see your Lit Circle Sheets and anything you have on Sarah Plain and Tall.

14. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 9, 2016

The way I want to do this is I to use it more for an Upper Grade Guided Reading version of what they do in 1st/2nd/3rd grade. I want to challenge my students more. I felt like I had to work within the system of little flip books, but I feel like as a middle school teacher I prefer getting into novels and as someone else stated they seem to be more engaged that way. I can pick the novels based on lexile level from MAP results. Then I can use running records and progress monitoring to help me with instructional grouping. Then, I can chose the books and do a guided reading with my students.

What I want to do is this:

Group A - Reads Matilda
    Group B - Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key
    Group C - Hatchet

Each group will rotate and I will spend 30 minutes with each group. Hatchet will be my high group and Joey Pigza will be my low group. Each book will come with activities and skills we will work on throughout the quarter(s). The other stations will be word study and writing station. I will want my students to keep a journal and a folder for literature, then I will keep a folder for guided reading.

15. Jac91

Jac91 Rookie

May 10, 2016

For my lit circles I created 5 jobs for each group. The groups have been mixed abilities because I have to use the same books for the entire class during the Lit circles. Every day we meet as a class to do activities based on the last night reading (for example today as a whole class we made advertisements for the perfect mother just like in the novel Sarah Plain and Tall) Students then meet as group and review their jobs from the night before. The jobs are as follows:

Guiding Guy: In charge of making thick discussion quesitons
    Dictionary Dude: In charge of looking up new words
    Jazzy Journal: Writes a journal entry in the POV of one of the characters from the night before
    Prediction Person: Makes a prediction and picture about what will happen in the story
    Connection Cadet: Makes three connections to the story (text to world; text to text; text to self)

After reviewing they then begin the next days reading as a group and I make them stop to make connections as the read or ask questions as they read. Then they pick new jobs for the night.
    I'd love to share those sheets but I'm not sure how. I also give my students chapter check in to assess their comprehension of the chapters read.