Novel for Marine Science?

Discussion in 'High School' started by manatee23, Aug 16, 2008.

1. manatee23

manatee23 Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions for a novel to read in marine science? We have historically read JAWS, but well, I'm sick of it and I don't know of a better alternative. :help:

3. trina

trina Companion

Aug 17, 2008

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson is set in a crabbing town and goes into a lot of detail about crabs themselves and the crabbing life.

Old Man and the Sea?

4. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Aug 17, 2008

The Old Man and the Sea and Moby Dick seem to fit, even though I wouldn't really use them.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

Did you ever hear of the book The Brendan Voyage? Modern day (well, maybe the 1980s) sailors recreate what they claim was an Irish expedition to the New World prior to Columbus. I read it many years ago and it was fascinating.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 18, 2008

The reading level is more like 6-8th grade but Shark Beneath the Reef has a whole lot of ocean life descriptions in it. It is however not the most interesting book in the world! If you do use it, here's a great web site with vocab, chapter questions, and other stuff:
    http://www.missmaggie.org/
    You'll have to click on "lesson plans" and then "a great catch" to get to the correct page. For some reason after I get to the page the link at the top is just the home page one so I can't get you directly to it.

7. manatee23

manatee23 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks for all the replies, I did some searching on Amazon and came up with
    Deep Storm by Lincoln Child (I’m a big fan of his and Preston’s work, just picked up this book today so I may use it if it is any good)
    Or
    The Log from the "Sea of Cortez" by John Steinbeck
    And also
    Toxic Tide by Catherine Hosmer (haven’t heard of it before, but it sounded pretty good).
    Heck, I may even use 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea??? (at least it has a movie ;)
    Again thanks for the replies, helped get my mind going for some ideas!