Nouns, Verbs and Synonyms in Kindergarten?!?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Oct 20, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

Ok, so I am wondering how many of you include this in your instruction. The reading curriculum I follow wants us to include so much of this, and from what I see on lots of kindergarten blogs, it’s being taught. However, there is NO way my little guys are ready for this at this point. I’m still trying to get them to identify all of their letters, let alone sounds. I feel like I’d be taking valuable time if I started teaching verbs, nouns etc. when my guys need to learn other stuff first. However, I also have this feeling I’m not preparing my kids after seeing so much of it on blogs. What is your take??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2012

I teach these in the context of morning message. We aren't working on them independently. But I might ask the students to help find the noun or verb in the morning message. We also play with synonyms; I ask the students for other words that mean the same as a word. Again, we usually do this during morning message.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2012

We call nouns naming words and we call verbs action words. We do it auditorily as well as make books of "naming words" if they can write them. If they can't, they can draw pictures of naming words.

The other thing I've been doing with my children is talking about compound words, syllables, and we've been doing some prefixes and suffixes. It's pretty exciting!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 20, 2012

I was just having this conversation with another teacher yesterday. I think we are being required to introduce more and more every year, which gives us less time to focus on the foundational skills. :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, yes, we introduce it. Do all the kids understand it, no. Will they retain it for 1st Grade, I'm not sure. But some do get it and we are required to teach it now, so.....

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2012

Our curriculum series suggests using naming words and action words too, but I would much rather use the terminology that they will use for the rest of their school career. We introduce both terms to them so that they understand what a noun is, but we don't just call them naming words.