Noun games/activities

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 13, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I am trying to find something fun to do with nouns this week (whole class). The internet is making me angry as I keep getting online games.
    Does anyone have any fun games or activities for 5th graders????

TIA

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

just nouns? the mad lib things are always funny. which could still be done with just nouns.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 15, 2008

You could play the fly swatter game with them. Two groups, one representative from each. Put "nouns", "verbs", etc. on the board. Call out a word. Have them slap what it is.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

Isn't it crazy that we're still teaching about nouns in 5th? And I'm sure the middle school and high school teachers are saying the same thing.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2008

Luckily, they pretty much know their nouns. Pronouns- not so much. They also don't know verbs, adjectives and Lord help me- adverbs :banghead:

I like the swatting idea. Maybe I will misspell some nouns or something. We are doing plural and possessive nouns this week.

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

i give them each a post it and have them write their names on it. then i have them put their post it on a noun in the room. after they finish, they have to write a sentence using their noun. then we present it to the class and the class has to find the noun in the sentence AND the post it. :) got them out of their seats and they enjoyed finding the weirdest things to put their post its on.

LC

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2008

OOhh, I like this, too!

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 15, 2008

actually, i think i gave them 2 post its per student. :)

they loved it!

i also made a worksheet that said "i know my nouns" across the top of it and they had to find, in magazines, 5 pictures and 5words that are nouns and cut and paste them to the page. it was a fun assessment. :)

have fun!
    LC

10. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

My 4th graders LOVE Mad Libs. If only we didn't have to do a little refresher every time we play on parts of speech.

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

Oh yeah! I teach high school (9th) and I just finished going over the eight parts of speech. They all acted like they had never heard of them before. I should just be doing a review, but it always turns into more. Why can't they remember?

12. holliday

holliday Comrade

Sep 17, 2008

I teach 7th and planned on spending maybe 2 weeks on nouns - here we are at week 4! I hate how much of my time gets eaten up on basic review!
    One game I play is to give small groups a picture (I usually use a laminated calendar page) - one per group, and give them X number of minutes to write down as many nouns as they can see in the picture. I make it a contest. We then go through each group's list talking about whether everything they wrote down qualifies as a noun. They really like this activity!

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2008

I can be so dumb sometimes....

I have a "I have, Who has" game for plural nouns. :rollseyes: And, sadly, 2 of the cards were on my desk (they had to be relaminated because it was peeling). One of my kids saw it and went "OOh! Are we going to play the I have game with the nouns?" I said, "No, I don't have one for nouns." SHe says, "These pieces are for nouns."
    I felt dumb :lol:
    And, my desk is always neat, so it is not like I lost them. They have been in plain site for 2 weeks. I kept putting my tape dispenser on them because I didn't want to dig the other 30some cards out. I guess it is a good think I was lazy because I'd have never known.