Note Taking Techniques

Discussion in 'General Education' started by megawinn, Mar 9, 2011.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

I am teaching my students different styles of taking notes that they could use in college. I teach tenth grade World Civilization. I have already used basic outlines, picture notes, illustration notes, venn diagrams, concept maps, timeline notes, and other graphic organizers. Any other ideas? Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

Have you taught them Cornell notes?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 9, 2011

What's that one method called...Lotus notes? I know that is a computer program, but I think that is what the technique is called...I know I love it!

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 9, 2011

I use cornell notes with my classes, and most of my PowerPoint lectures are formatted in that style. I teach the same subject you do, so perhaps this will be helpful.... If you'd like an example, I have one uploaded: Agricultural Revolution PPT

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 9, 2011

How about T charts and 4 boxes? That's what we call them anyway. T charts list headings/questions on the left and details/answers on the right alongside corresponding headings/questions. 4 boxes is simply a square quartered off into boxes. Students come up with four big ideas related to the topic and list details about or illustrate the important information. i.e. The topic is Aztec civilization. 4 boxes could be for agriculture, religion, military, Technoctilan. I may have misspelled the name of that city.