Note taking lesson plan

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by inlovewithwords, Sep 8, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 8, 2007

Hi! I'm teaching exreme struggling readers and writers. I need to teach them how to properly take notes. I need a lesson that is going to at least try to get them interested. Does anyone have some lessons or activities to show them HOW to take good notes?

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 8, 2007

What form of notes do you want them to take? Outline? Two-column?

4. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 8, 2007

Probably two column. But I'm really not sure. I think it will be response journal type. On the left hand side are the facts, and on the right is how they respond to the facts and where they ask questions

5. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

Are they taking notes from the board? If so, that column shouldn't be too difficult for them. (If not, another suggestion follows this first one.)

As for the other column...

Introduce types of responses one at a time, and model. Maybe the first and easiest one would be drawing stars next to really important information. Model this as you present the notes.

Next, maybe add questions--why is this true? Where did this come from? How does this work? Model, and once they take notes, provide time for them to write their questions: "Now that we took notes on this section, go back and ask two questions." Having a poster with sample questions or prompts would be helpful: "Who? What? Why? How come? What happens next?"

As for an introductory lesson, perhaps have them take "notes" one something other than literature--a TV show or movie? They could take notes on the plot or a character. They know what to write down, to discuss later. So, they take notes to reference later and to give them something to work off of. This should be a decently easy concept to transfer to classroom notes. This may be more conducive to taking their own notes.

If you want them to respond to their notes, be sure they can regularly take notes first--either by copying from the board, or picking out important information from lectures. Get that down first before adding the further cognitive element of response.

Does that help at all? Keep posting--I have no problem bouncing ideas!

6. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I always teach note-taking on the first day(s) of school. I would be happy to share my lesson plan if you want it. Just PM me with your email and I will send it out! Good luck!

7. lisapoet

lisapoet Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

I'm new here and don't know how to PM, but I'd love to have a copy of your note-taking lesson plan. lisa.rodrigues@tusd1.org

8. Corndog

Corndog Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

notes

I teach note-taking in my class. I used two column. One of the things I do, after modeling with some other information I have to get to them, is through articles that I know they will find interesting. I get funny stuff off "The Onion", we read it in class, talk about how articles are structured (first lines, last lines, etc.) and we do the first one as a group. Then we do it in groups of three, then pairs, then on their own. So becoming independent is the slow process, but it works eventually. I also liked giving them open-note quizzes so they could see that the notes were accesible and worth their time.