Note-taking in second grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MCG1116, Feb 15, 2008.

1. MCG1116

MCG1116 Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

Does anyone have any good ideas to introduce taking notes? Any read alouds or strategies to teach this to second graders?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2008

I would start by taking an informational poster (ie science) and going over the information with them discussing and modeling how to find relevent information and how to organize it. Then you could move on to more complicated information.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Feb 15, 2008

Note-taking for research or note-taking while listening to a speaker?

5. MCG1116

MCG1116 Rookie

Feb 16, 2008

Note-taking while listening to a story. Listening for the important parts and how to write them down so they can eventually answer questions or write a response to the story.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

Personally, I think second grade is too early for traditional note-taking. The children are still struggling to read, make complete sentences that make sense, and to spell in a way that they can read later.

I think modeling it on a big piece of chart paper would be a good way to start. Read aloud, stop dramatically, and say "What important thing should I write down?" Do it as a group at first. After you have done for several stories, then I might try to help them to do it. But be prepared for frustrations, and 20 little hands going up multiple times to say "What did you say?" "How do you spell _____?" I didn't get that, how do you spell _____? Did you say -er or -ur?"

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2008

I think doing whole group for several stories is the best advice. Also, when you start letting them do it on their own, you might want to copy some notes on paper leaving blanks for some things that they can fill in while listening to the story.

Though personally I think this type of note-taking (getting notes off a taped reading) might be too difficult for 2nd graders.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2008

I use post its to 'save thinking' in fiction reading- an example might be a mini lesson on how I might get clues about what a character's 'insides' are like by the things they say and do in the story- so readers might put a post it on a page in thier books during reading where they get an idea about a character in their books. In nonfiction reading post its come in handy too- we are in a biography study right now and kids are taking notes on important events in their biography reading...

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

Note taking is really not too hard for 2nd graders. I would start with a graphic organizer so they can see how you want them to take notes. If they have something to follow, the transition to independent note taking will be smoother.
    See if the third grade teachers have a specific way they want notes to look like. If they do, you can start with an introductory graphic organizer that will lead up to that. It's best to be consistent with students learning a concept like this. There are many ways to take notes, and some ways work better for different students. The young students need to learn how first.