Note taking apps for second grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JenEd, Oct 8, 2019.

1. JenEd

JenEd Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

My school is moving to more technology based (yay, not ) and my principal is requiring me to use a note-taking app with my second graders. He wants them to take notes during my lessons using an app. This doesn’t even make sense to me because they shouldn’t be taking notes in second grade. Does anyone have any app suggestions that second graders can use to take notes?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 8, 2019

I don't have an app suggestion, I just want to let you know I agree with you -- second graders aren't ready to "take notes" yet. It is not developmentally appropriate. Sorry you have to do this.

ms.irene and bella84 like this.
  4. JenEd

JenEd Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

Thank you, I’m glad you agree. Not sure what I’m going to do.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2019

My grade 7 students have a hard time taking notes without a lot of teaching; I can't imagine it with grade 2.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 8, 2019

Question the research that is driving this project. Request information about the length of time that the project has been up and running, about the immediate effects as well as long term effects, question how taking notes at this young of an age may keep the students from being able to spend their energies looking for cohesion and making sense of whatever facts are hidden as clues in the literature. Ask how trying to take notes will affect students who are not at grade level in reading skills, and ask if adding a stressor might cause them to shut down entirely instead of building vocabulary and building on what they know. Wow - I would have so many questions that I would be the last person they would want to see coming down the hall, as I would want them in my classroom constantly to make sure that what they think is going to happen is going to be the result they get. My number one question would have to be this: If you suck all pleasure out of reading, how will this encourage reading going forward?

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 8, 2019

Did some quick research, and when I look up note taking for very young students, they are talking about getting a picture of notes on the board, notes on papers, notes that tell parents to sign, etc. They're hyping it as a tool for ADHD and other SPED students, since these picture "notes" can be stored in folders as appropriate. I'm hoping against hope that this is what OP is talking about, instead of taking notes on the plot of "The Three Little Pigs".

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 9, 2019

What curriculum do you use? Does it have an online component that might have a notetaking platform?

9. JenEd

JenEd Rookie

Oct 13, 2019

No, he wants students to actually take notes on each lesson. Like if reading "The Three Little Pigs" he wants them to write on the app "Characters", "Setting", "Plot" "Problem" "Solution" and write about each one. And for math, if I were teaching place value, he wants them to draw a hundreds block and label it "Hundreds", a tens block and label it "Tens", and a ones block and label it "Ones." I understand where he's coming from to some degree, but while they're taking these notes, they're not focusing on me and what I'm doing and following along.

10. JenEd

JenEd Rookie

Oct 13, 2019

Lucy Calkins for reading and writing and GoMath for math. I'm not sure if they have online components that might have a notetaking platform. That's a good question!

otterpop likes this.
  11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

I don't see a problem with them doing the thinking or even the writing that you've described here. But I don't see it as "taking notes"... and I definitely don't see it as something they should be doing with technology at that age. It seems like teaching them to use a paper graphic organizer would be most appropriate for that sort of thinking. If it has to be on a device, can you create a template that they can type into? Although I have to think that it will be much more time consuming to have them type all of this than to simply have them write. This grade is still working on handwriting. I'd be shocked if most are prepared for efficient keyboarding.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Tired Teacher, otterpop and vickilyn like this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 13, 2019

GoMath might have an online note taking component if your school pays for student accounts. I believe that's a McGraw-Hill curriculum. I'd be surprised if Lucy Calkins had anything that would work for this but I could be wrong.

If you're school doesn't have something like this to suggest that you use, they need to be helping you find a platform of some sort. You can't require your students do that without admin giving some suggestions on how to make that happen. Edmodo or Google Classroom could work but would be very hard with your age of students.