Not with the program...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kabd54, Sep 18, 2007.

1. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 18, 2007

It's 6:15 p.m. and I'm sitting in my classroom, not at all ready for tomorrow. I am having a really icky start to my year. I'm so disorganized, I can't seem to get my act together, I'm getting two new students in the next week or so, I'm up to my ying-yang in paperwork, we have new IEPs (AGAIN) this year, and this is so NOT like me. :(

Is there anyone else out there who feels out of sorts and having a rocky start to the year? Please tell me it's not just me!! :unsure: You know what they say about misery loving company (although just exactly who "they" are I've never been able to discover!!:lol:).

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2007

You need to go home!!!
    I am not having such a rocky start, but I am NOT enjoying it much this year. Hope that changes.

4. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

I'm feeling disorganized also, and it's only the fourth week of school and I'm exhausted! I never feel like I'm completely prepared for my classes, I'm always remembering last minute things.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2007

Surprisingly, I'm not feeling disorganized this year--YET--but I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, because organization and my name should not be mentioned in the same sentence. I know that in the next couple of weeks though, when IEPs are due I'll be going crazy. I do feel somewhat unprepared with my students, though; I have a couple of new ones this year who are proving to be difficult. They grumble whenever they need to work (excuse me, but that's what we do at school) and have serious attention difficulties. I'm having difficulty programming for them.

Hang in there kadb54, go home, put your feet up, and have a nice glass of wine. (We have a PA Day on Friday so should be able to regroup a bit--how about you?)

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2007

I felt that way all summer (im a day camp director) it was just not my best summer, so I get the feeling of not being together. It hasnt carried over as much in to the school year (thank god)! Good Luck!

7. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for your words of encouragement and commiseration! I did go home and hubby had made dinner (God bless him!!!). Now I'm online and I'm feeling somewhat better.

I just feel like I'm barely managing to keep my head above water. I know what I want to do, but it's getting my act together that's proving to be the problem. I want to start my centres, but I can't seem to figure out what I want them to do and how I want them to do it. :unsure: Even their programming... I'm failing miserably right now. It's busy-work review stuff. I NEED to write my IEPs so that I have some direction, but they've changed them again :)down::down::down::down:) so now it's more work, because I have to figure those out, too!!!

Ah well, c'est la vie! I guess I'd better stop feeling sorry for myself and give myself a shake. :thanks: for listening!

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2007

It is not just you

9. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 18, 2007

Thank you, Irishdave!!!! You know, that feeling just stinks. You know that you have all this work to do and you sit around, doing anything and everything to avoid it. Maybe it's not even avoiding the work as much as it is trying to kickstart the neuron pathways into some semblance of usefulness.

I have to stop moping around and spend some time getting down to brass tacks. That's what I'm going to do tomorrow. I'll stay late at school, when no one is around - it's nice and peaceful then - and I'll get my act together and make some decent teacher-type decisions.

I am teacher, hear me roar.... with apologies to Helen Reddy!!

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2007

I don't know why........but I'm just not having fun this year. The first time in 15 years this has been the case......:(
    I guess you could say I'm feeling out of sorts, too.

11. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 19, 2007

I'm feeling out of sorts too. Mine is a different type of out of sorts, as I'm in my last semester of my education (I do my student teaching in the spring! :eek:hmy: :eek:) and I just feel lost with all the work. I almost missed open house at my oldest daughter's school last night because I was so lost in work. My youngest daughter started preschool and started her occupational therapy and I can barely keep on top of what is happening to her. I find myself doing everything last minute (I have to read 2 chapters and write a summary for the class I have in 2 1/2 hrs...I haven't started it yet :p). The only thing I feel like I have been able to keep on top of is what's goign on with my son, but that's because he's only 17 mos so he doesn't have much going on. :p

Anyways, you are not alone in the least. Must be somethign in the air. :lol:

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2007

When I am feeling like that I try to take it
    ONE TASK AT A TIME
    to avoid feeling overwhelmed by everthing and to get some satisfaction about what I have accomplished.

13. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 19, 2007

What do you do to avoid the procrastination though? I think that's my biggest problem...I'm looking at what I have to do and it's overwhelming me, so I just shut down and procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate. :p

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2007

rogue, have you thought about making a schedule for yourself? I did that in college b/c like you I was a procrastinator. It really helped out. I just worked backword from when it was due and broke it into baby steps. I feel sometimes that I'm not with it either. It's not a good feeling, but I always manage to get myself out of it. :) Good luck with everyone!

15. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 19, 2007

I have half-heartedly tried a schedule before, but usually it gets screwed up when one of my kids is sick and I need to take them to the dr. or my babysitter is sick and I can't go to work or class. Then, I usually abandon it because it is so screwed up and I just don't feel like I can recover it.

But, I will try again because I think this is really the semester that I desperately need it and I will DEFINITELY be needing it next semester when I'm doign my student teaching.

Thanks, smalltowngal! :)

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2007

No problem!! I know it helped me get through those last few classes before student teaching. We didn't do a lot of classwork while student teaching so I kind of slacked off then.