Not to Snitch a Cultural Norm

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mr. Windchill, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Apr 23, 2007

60 minutes Clips Regarding Snitching

The link above is to a few clips from a 60 minutes special about how in many communities, predominantly poor although I fear it reaches far higher, that snitching today seems to be a crime against humanity.

It amazes me how students in the school don't bat an eye when it comes to breaking a rule, sometimes serious rules, yet take issue with someone who calls them out on it. It troubles me that the good students are okay with letting others get away with breaking rules/crimes as opposed to alerting teachers to help weed out the troublemakers.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2007

I take it you don't teach primary grades.

4. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 25, 2007

I have found both extremes....

Some kids LOVE to tell. You just have to know which ones to ask. Others will smile and bat their eyes and refuse to tell you that something BAD just happened.

But you are correct about snitches. I work with Hispanic students, and they have been taught through music and their peers that "ratting someone out" is worse than what the original person did. The kids will often hurt the snitch.

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 25, 2007

I understand what you are saying MrWindchill, but I idendtify with the Good kids who don't report when they see someone doing something wrong. In middle school I had the fear for my life if I told that someone was selling drugs, had a weapon, or coppied my test. I was smart enough to know my school wasn't going to protect me from those who would harm me if I reported them.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 25, 2007

Hatima,
    I find that so very sad, and hard for me to understand! I can kind of understand the fear of retaliation in middle school, if more people DID "snitch", then the "bad guys" would lose both their power and their freedom, neither of which they deserve to have!

7. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 26, 2007

pwhatley, the school offered no protection to the students commitings small and serious offences, the police had came on campus several times and were almost powerless to the teenage gangs...the students were often known gangmembers who did have lengthy violent criminal records. The law limited severly what could be done, and the kids didn't care. Those of us who did just had to hold our breath and hope we'd "make it." (not fall into the pressures to join the gangs and drugs).

Part of the reason why I went against what I knew was right, to tell, was students at that middle school had been stabbed (almost died) for telling. It is really scary...the gang problem at that school is much worse now.