not teaching this year - What would you do

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MisterG, Sep 16, 2007.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

Hi all,
    My contract was not-renewed for this coming school year so Im unemployed. My wife was hired as a teacher in another district so we moved, but out here in WY, there are few and far between districts so my teaching opportunities are pretty much non-existant. Im not sure what to do. I simply can't afford to sub as that pays less than 100 a day (other districts pay as little as half that, believe it or not). I also can't afford to work as a part timer either, although that would be better than subbing.

So basically, it looks like Im not going to be involved in Education this year. Ive been out of school for three years, two of which I have taught and one of which I was a para. Now Im not teaching again and its bumming me out big time like you wouldnt believe.

Ive tried looking at Headstart and the local CDC, but I think I wouldn't even be qualified as those are younger aged kids.

Soo....Im desperately trying to find a job. Big boom going on out here, lots of labor jobs...something which doesn't really turn my crank. Thinking about going into the trucking biz and becoming a driver if I can get a CDL.

Lol...I can't even get training assistance through the Workforce Investment Act because I said I might go back to teaching if I was offered a position. Nevermind the fact that school already started and the 2 districts in my area aren't hiring and that an open position does not mean Im going to get the spot, lol. ARGH!

Either way, we are short on money as without my working, we are in more debt than income. I need to get a job and get working and get some $$.

So, heres my question after all that, lol.

I Hate not being in the field, but since that doesnt seem likely, I don't really see any options. Im thinking about, as soon as I get back on my feet, going for my Masters in Education (probably leaning towards Technology). But, is that a wise choice? Two out of three years as a teacher, one of which resulted in a contract non-renewal?

My concern is that Im not marketable that much as Im on and off it seems. I don't really have anything that sets me apart from anyone else (outside of being a man...which Im told is a plus?, lol).

Would going for my Masters be a wise choice or not? Anything else out there that I might be missing as possibility?

Thanks,
    Ryan

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 16, 2007

I am sorry for your situation. I don't know about the area you're in
    but in TN most people wait until they have a teaching job to work on their masters. The main reason I hear is that most school systems want cheap hires. We are also a tenure state so many wait until they have tenure to make the investment of time and money.

I agree that you do need to do something to make a living in the mean time. The CDL option is a good one. Truckers make good money. Construction usually pays well too. Good luck to you and keep us updated.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 16, 2007

That's a tough situation. I worked for a temporary agency once and you would probably be surprised at the level of jobs they were filling. Some companies were using us to "try" out employees because it was cheaper than going through a whole interview process and getting someone that didn't end up working out. I don't know much about the industry out there, but it might be a thought. An office job while you waited out the education system? The pay wasn't bad either.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

I work for a non profit agency serving adults and children with developmental disabilities. I am making more than I made a a teacher in the city. I have my MS in Sped, but that is not a qualification- just a BS in a related field. If you are interested in being more or less a Social Worker there are usually openings in non profits all the time. My schedule is flexible and I have benefits. My job also allowed me the opportunity to return to grad school and get my Masters..... with reimbursement. Hey, I don't know if getting your Masters is a good idea or not, but I did it, and I have no regrets. personally, I don't want to be in grad school while teaching full time.... I figure when it's my time, the job will be availlable. Hang in there, don't give up

6. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2007

Miss Frizzle, now we know why you're having a tough time getting a contract--because you have a Master's degree. I never could understand it because you're so dedicated and knowleagable, and you seem like you're very personable, too.

MisterG, I'm really sorry about your situation. First, is there a way you can have some of your bills lowered for a while? If it's debt, can you ask them if you can make smaller payments until you "get on your feet?" There are credit counseling agencies that can be your mediator if you need it, and most creditors are willing to work with them. (I took a friend to one once, and they helped her for free.) I only have student loan debt, and when I was subbing they let me make smaller payments and for the bigger one, put me in deferrment until I could pay. (Which was two years!) Even your mortgage company will probably work with you.

I think your idea of getting a Master's in technology is a good idea, because if you want to be in teaching it could get you back into it since there aren't many of those kinds of teachers around. And it could also lead to a job in another field where they welcome higher degrees.

About the truck driving, what does your wife think? Would you be away on trips a lot or could you drive locally? It doesn't sound like a job that will satisfy you, if it doesn't, you could be really miserable and end up getting stuck in a job you can't stand?

I don't think not having your contract renewed is going to keep you from getting a teaching job in the future. You lasted two years and plus, I have known several teachers that happened to and they were able to get contracts in other districts who felt they were going to be good teachers. If something was wrong, you could say "I didn't do well in this area, but I have learned this or that and I'm more prepared to meet this whatever, blah blah blah." :)

You are a "minority" in teaching and in some states they actively recruit male teachers because of that. Virginia, for one, has it on their list along with Special Ed and Math/Science teachers. Seriously, they have special programs to help males get into education. (How do I know, I was thinking of moving back there a few years ago and wanted to know if they'd take my credential.)
    I hope things get better for you soon. We'll be praying for you.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2007

MD actually recruits male elementary teachers, as well. What's your certification? Our cost of living is rather high, but the starting pay is pretty good ($45,000, I think). And we have a high need - We actually have had to look overseas and hire teachers from the Phillipines just to fill spots. A nearby district started the year with almost 200 vacancies. Most of those are secondary and middle math/science/sped, but like I said, I don't know what your certification is.

Getting a trucking job sounds great, but it also isn't going to help get your foot in the door for next year. If I were you, I'd sub and take an evening/weekend job to supplement your income. There are some things that are more lucrative than retail that have high needs on evenings and weekends - security, hospital work, UPS order processing, etc. Yes, you'd be gone a lot, and working many hours, but you'd be doing the same in trucking. And it's not nearly as taxing to sub as to have your own classroom - no assessment, no report cards, no parent conferences, no planning and prep work.

Another option - look into TA positions. But, again, the pay is so low that you'd probably have to supplment with a second job.
    Kim