Not taking health insurance

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rbart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 20, 2013

I have health insurance through my husbands work right now and he is a public sector employee. For this year we do not want to rock the boat so to speak so I will not take the health insurance offered through the school. The board meeting for my approval is tomorrow night PLEASE keep your fingers crossed for me. So my main reason for writing this post is because last week I received a letter from my district stating temporary/subs will be limited to 4 days a weeks due to the health care mandate. I don't have the letter in front of me so you get the idea... :blush: I was a sub in the district so this is why I got the letter. Yesterday I get a call from the districts insurance person (where right now I have a verbal offer) and they say to me I will send you a form to your new school in September to get your cash instead of benefits form. I automatically say ok. :dizzy: then I say what is this for again and they say not taking the health insurance. They said to me since you didn't take it last year during your lts. once again I say ok thanks so much. I didn't run it past my husband but he agreed once I told him about the call that this year we will keep it the same even though my plan would be cheaper since I would be a lower pay scale or so we think. My paranoid brain thinks it was a tests. I know it's crazy. A friend of mine said it doesn't matter if they hire me I can take their insurance. Any way I guess this was more like a rant but I'm so nervous about not getting approved and people keep saying they approve 99 percent of the time.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

I'm so confused.

4. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 20, 2013

I'm sorry. I guess I'm just wondering if even though I told them I would not take their insurance. ... Can I change my mind later. I have not been board approved yet but they already assumed I would not take it since I did not take it during my lts.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

You probably have a set period of time, like 30 days, to decide to enroll in their insurance. If you already have coverage, though, you might not need it. I am double-covered (my own insurance plus my hoosband's). For me, it's the best move because I'm going through some expensive medical things at the moment. The double coverage helps a lot if you need it.

6. London

London Rookie

Aug 20, 2013

There is usually something called an open enrollment or open option period. Usually at the end of the calendar year. This is the time that you can choose to change/add/opt out of health insurance plans.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 21, 2013

There will usually be an enrollment period where you have to decide before then.

8. NozyCrunch

NozyCrunch Guest

Aug 28, 2013

If you think you don't need another health insurance plan then your decision is okay. But if you can lose the job because of not getting that insurance from school then I think you should grab it. It is still a benefit even its somehow costly. Sooner or later you'll definitely need this extra coverage. Goodluck!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

I hope whatever you decide to do works out for you!
    Rebel1