Not sure where I stand!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by angelteacher, Feb 8, 2007.

1. angelteacher

angelteacher Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I am so frustrated! I taught for 2 years back in 95 when I graduated from college and loved it! Everyone told me what a great teacher I was, my principal loved me, etc. etc. I was out for 6 yrs. w/ my kids. I have recently gone back to teaching 4 yrs. ago (this is my 4th year back). My first position didn't go too well. I was thrown into a 5th grade class w/ 30 students at a special school and told they didn't use text books and to figure things out on my own because there was only 1 teacher per grade level. Well, the principal visited my room the 1st time and said things were fine and then after Christmas break her whole attitude changed and it was one thing after another and long story short, she didn't renew my contract. So, I was back to square one, and had to totally reapply w/ the district. Well, lucky enough, I found another position at another more traditional school pretty quickly and had a great two years. The 1st year I taught 5th grade again and then moved down to K the next year and just loved it. I felt like I had finally found my niche in the education world. I love the little ones. Well, that school ended up becoming a bi-lingual school so I had to transfer out. The school I'm at this year started well and I'm teaching K again. We have an instructional coach who regularly does "walk throughs" in our room and then we would conference w/ her afterwards. Everytime she came in my room she would say how great things are going and that she was happy w/ what she saw. Well a few weeks ago she came in and stayed about 30 min. When I went to conference w/ her, she had this 3 page evaluation form which rates the teacher from 1 (needs improvement), 2 (meets expectations), and 3 (exceeds expectations). I had one 3 and mostly 2s, but did have about seven 1's. I asked her what I could be doing better and she said "Oh, I'm not worried about those. I just have to have somewhere to show growth at then end of the year." So, I thought well okay. Then, that Fri. the principal comes in and does a full eval. on me for 45 min., goes thru all my lesson plans. Then, I don't hear from her again until Mon. morning and she wants to set up a meeting w/ me and the instructional coach. The meeting was supposed to be today and she emailed this morning and said to bring my lesson plan book. The instructional coach was out today, but she said we would meet anyway. Then, 30 minutes before the meeting she calls my room and says she needs to reschedule. She's out of the building tomorrow all day. So, I guess I'll have to wait AGAIN until next week. I am very nervous about this meeting and am hoping I'm not headed in the same direction as the 1st year I taught. I hate this because I work so hard and I think I'm doing my job. I conference w/ the other teachers and we're all on the same page as far as what we're teaching, my kids are showing growth on the tests they have to do. They're all at the same level as the other kids in the other classes are, some of them are higher. I just don't know why I'm always the one to get singled out! I love my job and love teaching...........Why won't people just let me teach? What am I doing wrong? Why do they wait until close to the end of the year to tell me they're not happy w/ what I'm doing? I'm so frustrated and if this principal doesn't renew my contract, who's going to want to hire me again? I can't afford not to work and don't really want another job because I want to be off in the summers w/ my kids, which is the main reason I chose teaching as a career. Wow I was long winded. Sorry, I wrote a book. I'm just hoping someone can give me some insight or helpful advice!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2007

HI and welcome.

Is it possible that you're jumping the gun? That things aren't as dire as you think??

If not, then take these postponements as a chance to build your case. Find a way to show the progress the kids have made, and make a case for your continued employment. Point out the number of times that the educational coach has previously been in your room without mention of any problems. (Can you document the visits somehow-- did you write down the dates or can you figure them out?)

4. angelteacher

angelteacher Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

Well, that's what some other teachers think too that I've talked to, but I just have a bad feeling! I think I'm so "gun shy" from my 1st experience, that I just expect the worst! I do have the dates that the educational coach came in. So, I will definetly bring those up and I can make print outs of the growth charts my kids have shown. Maybe she just doesn't like the way I'm writing my lessons. Thank you for your quick reply!

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2007

The best thing to do is go in with a postive approach. As Alice mentioned, have backup documentation. Be able to explain why you teach what you teach, etc. Remember, sometimes lesson plans on paper don't appear to clear to an outsider. So explain yourself. If things are not as bad as you anticipate, then realize that every evaluation will have some areas to improve upon. Take the advice, smile, and continue to do your best.

6. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Feb 9, 2007

Oh, the love/hate relationship of feedback. We love to receive good feedback, but hate to receive bad feedback.

As far as the lesson plans it may be a simple format issue or additional requirements. Just last year, we had to rewrite several lesson plans in order to show exactly which state standards each lesson addressed. Some parents had suggested we weren't addressing all the state standards.

We were encouraged to show how not only were we meeting the current grade standards, but a higher or lower grade standard as well. Many lessons taught go beyond the "requirements" and require students to "stretch" beyond the current grade into a higher grade's standards.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

I know in our district (and I am assuming most if not all in the state and across the country) the principal has to do at least 2 formal observations in each classroom. S/he also makes a written evaluation that goes in the teacher's permanent file.Could it be something like that?

From my understanding, the instructional coach must go from classroom to classroom to observe teachers? It may be something very simple that she would like to discuss with you. Our instructional coaches do not do that but they are always offering suggestions or help if they can. They will often come into the classroom and teach a lesson or work with a group, if the classroom teacher asks. It could be something as simple as that. I wouldn't be too quick to "jump the gun" yet. If they were really concerned about what you were doing, I would think that they would tell you right away instead of waiting until a meeting could take place (especially one that keeps being post-poned). Don't worry...I do the same thing every time I am evaluated or the principal wants to talk to me. I get myself all worked up for nothing. Good luck!:love:

8. angelteacher

angelteacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

Thank you all!

I am feeling better and plan to look over my lesson plans this weekend, so that I can be prepared for anything. The principal was in this afternoon and I never heard from her. Maybe I am jumping the gun........I hope! Thanks again and I'll let you all know if I ever meet w/ them!