Not sure what to expect

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mdawson, Jul 7, 2007.

1. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

Hey all! I guess I'm looking for some ideas and suggestions. I have my Masters in Elementary Ed. and I'm working on my Masters for Special Ed in the areas of ED and LD. I have just been hired for a new school that will be opening. I will be working with emotionally disturbed children. I have no idea what to expect or even how to prepare for this. With it being a new school everything seems a little unorganized. The building isn't even ready yet. I am very excited and ready to give it my all. I'm just really nervous.

3. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 7, 2007

Do you know what grades you will have? Is it self-contained or resource? The range of children with the label is very wide. These could be kids who are just sensitive, have anxiety, or they can be blatantly defiant or aggressive. Do you know how many students you'll be working with? Have you seen IEPs? Sorry for all the questions, but I'll be able to help you out more with some background :) I work as a self-contained teacher for kids with ED, grades 3-5.
    Take a deep breath :) Everything will work out!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or you just want to talk :)

4. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

I know the school serve students from K-12. I'm not sure what age range I will have. I will have 8-10 students and there will be two liscensed counslers in my room with me. I haven't seen any of the IEPs yet. I don't think they even know what the enrollement numbers will be! I was told that I will start on August 14 or 15 (I think that is for a conference). They are not even sure when the first day of school will be. They said it might not be until after Labor Day.

Thank you so much for the reply. Are there any good books that would help give me better insight into working with ED children?

5. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 7, 2007

Someone in another thread recommended "The Tough Kids Toolbox." I haven't read this one though, so I can't speak for it personally. Love and Logic might also be a good one to try. Any book having to do with social skills will help as well.

Will you be the head teacher in the room? If so, you might want to try thinking about some sort of behavior management plan. I've found that going in with a plan for behavior and laying it all out the first day is really beneficial. Speaking from experience, these kids really need structure and will find ways to manipulate the system if at all possible. That being said, it can really be a fun job and you'll find that the kids latch onto you and look out for each other.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2007

Is there a ED coordinator that you could contact? I would see if they could get you a mentor whom is a ED teacher and I would see if you could get a name of a teacher who does not mind being contacted over the summer.

A behavior management program will be one of the most important parts of your classroom. Our ED students have a lot of behaviors. Our teachers set up a point system where they earned rewards... You may also want to set up a "quiet" corner in your classroom. I would also look into social skills activities. Since you will have 2 counsellors, they will hopefully help you in this area.

7. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 7, 2007

I agree. Depending on the position, you may have an isolation room in your classroom. I have set up a token economy where the students earn money based on behavior. We also have a charting system so we can document every behavior that occurs throughout the day.