Not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Mar 3, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

Today I saw them interviewing someone...turns out it was for science...I don't know which position it was for. I asked my principal if I could speak with him for a few moments after school...he said ok...but didn't seem to happy about it. I talked to him first about our science tournament, and how that went...again...no real response. Then I started talking about how I wanted to update him on my progress, and the things I have been doing to try and improve. He nodded most times...and said he had been asking my deparment head if I had been doing certain things...and she said yes.
    He said he was concerned b/c one day he walked by and I was at the computer...and the kids were talking. He went to the computer guy, and asked him to pull up my screen...and they saw that I was looking up science sites (all legit he said)....but that I should be doing prep work at night...not class. When he went back to come tell me about it...he saw that my powerpoint was up and I was teaching again.
    I always incorporate websites...videos...facts...into my lectures...so I'm sure that was the case...but he told me I need to be "bell to bell" teaching.
    So...that was a set back today. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I just want them to be honest with me...so if they don't want me back...I can look for another job before it is too late. I am still trying to put my resume out there...sending things...but no responses :(
    My next formal meeting is the end of this month. The AP and P still have to formally review me. The AP came in today informally to give me some tips, but she was busy afterschool so I couldn't speak with her. She said she would come back to another class too.
    I want to still fight for my job if I have a chance...but if I don't...then I don't want to waste energy trying to prove myself.
    Sorry...not feeling too happy right now :(
    Hope you all had a better day than me.

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2009

I know how you feel when you see your possible replacement in the hallway. Last year mine came for a tour of the school and well it actually turned out that I was sorta related to her. Her husband is my BIL's best friend but they have known each other since they were like two yeas old. The kicker is they live right behind me now so I see her EVERYDAY. But enough about that. It sounds like you principal is just trying to find things that you are doing wrong. Mine sent the kinder team emails from the new teacher and she would forward them to me as well. I think I would look for another job even if they haven't told you formally. BUT I would keep trying to improve. Last year after I resigned I kind of checked out of teaching for about 3 weeks and I feel really guilty about it. I was angry at the kids and myself and I just stopped caring about what I was doing. I am really sorry that you are going through all this.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2009

I don't know what they expect from teachers sometimes. I have sort of befriended a new math teacher at my school and am sort of mentoring him because our math dept is in shambles.

(Basically the matriarch of the department was dethroned by a newer teacher to be dept chair, because the matriarch did what was best for kids and the department, and the new teacher does what she is told and tattles on anyone else breaking the rules, and now the whole department is split into two sides. And then in comes a new guy who has no idea what all this drama is about.)

Anyway, I digress. He was yelled at, it sounds pretty intensely, because he was gave some kids a review worksheet on something that would come up in the next unit after their test, for the kids who finished early. That IS bell to bell instruction. Most teachers would just let them goof off until everyone finished. But he got slammed for giving busy work. And then he was told if he was going to give an assignment he should have given it out of the book instead (isn't that busy work, too, then??) AND the dept chair had told him giving the worksheet after the test was a good idea, and then she threw him under the bus when he got yelled at by his coach. And who goes around yelling and getting in people's faces over stuff like this, anyway?

Sorry, I hijacked this thread a little, but really, I wonder what they expect of us? My kids have questions that I can't answer ALL THE TIME, and if I have a resource in my classroom, why wouldn't I just jump on and look up the answer?? They seriously need something better to do with their time. And you might be better off at a job where they don't pull up your internet screen because they see you at the computer. Ridiculous.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 3, 2009

Wow.

All I can tell you is I couldn't work under those circumstances. What is your P., a spy?? so you are looking up on the computer? How did he know you weren't looking up something a kid had asked about, or decided on the spur of the moment to follow an idea the class threw out?

As for "do your work at night" that is a bunch of crap. We all work waaaaaaaaaay more than we are contracted, but for him to try to pin you on that is kinda Nazi-like.

At my school we had to cut a lot of specials, so there went our planning time. We all agreed, with the blessing of our P., that the planning had to be built into the day somehow. So kids get seat work for 1/2 hour and teacher plans for the next day. Or they get to watch a movie on topic and teacher gets to plan. We are more into "Let's get creative" than "let's teach bell to bell."

Brother. I hope if you do get hired somewhere else, it will be a school with a better fit for you. You sound like a fantastic teacher to me. When I hear about all you do for your classes, you make me want to be more efficient and do a better job. I know I have too much slack time and I am constantly trying to tighten up so we don't lose time. It's hard.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2009

It is ridiculous that they are that mistrusting of their teachers at your school. I worked my first 4 years at a school where the rule of thumb was micromanagement by the principal. Awful!! I never knew how awful until I accepted a job elsewhere and was left to teach and handle my curriculum as per my professional expertise. My current principal leaves us to teach within our department teams. She does a great job of allowing us to develop as teachers and never make us account for every minute of what we do in our day. I am there to deliver a curriculum in an engaging manner. that's what she hired me to do and that's what she allows us to do. I hope you get the opportunity to develop without fear of being misjudged. It's a good feeling to feel that your principal trusts your professional judgement. You'll find that school. Don't stop looking. Everyone has that first "awkward" teaching position that we look back at and shake our head.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

Thanks for the support. I'm applying to the CDC right now...lol.
    I am really trying...it's just not good enough, apparently.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 3, 2009

I think it is good enough, but that you might find a better fit somewhere else. Every school has its own personality. If you came to my school, you would be up there with the very best of the teachers! Teachers with years and years of experience. I say, look seriously for a different school. If you get offered a contract anywhere, take it. Jobs are hard to come by. Good luck to you. I just want to reiterate - you truly sound like a super teacher. I'm not just trying to make you feel better. I think the problem is the administration and their idea of what their job is.

I still cannot believe he went to the server to see what you were doing online. How about "She is an adult. She is a professional. I will assume she is doing her job."

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

Thanks again. I will still do my best until the end. Just gets hard when I don't know what to really expect.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

I hope I didn't come off as judgemental. I KNOW you were doing what you should have been, not shopping or emailing.

But sometimes it's all about perception.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

I completely understand what you are saying. I know it would look bad. I have seen other teachers do the same thing...I'm sure he has too.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

:hugs: st. I'm not sure I can add anything that hasn't already been said here. I would go ahead and apply to any open positions that you see because you never know what is around the corner. I'm sorry that you are being put through this stress.

14. blessedteacher

blessedteacher Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I hope that everything works out for you.

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

Thank you

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

I agree to apply other places, but I would be very careful where you accept a position. You might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. That's what happened with me. I was so desperate to leave my middle school position, I took the first job offered to me. It was that awful private school elementary position. If I had done more research, listened to dh and my mom, etc., I might have saved myself a lot of grief and found a better position. We have to be careful in times of desperation to calm down and really think about what we're doing. When I was laid off, dh told me I wasn't allowed to apply for jobs for two weeks, simply so I could really figure out where I wanted to go next. I hated that thought, but I'm glad I listened to him.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 4, 2009

Alice - you did not come off as judgmental. You gave a good perspective. I am not used to such micromanagement. We are told the expectations, then left alone and expected to do what we should. So I have been a bit spoiled, since that is what I respond to best.

Probably if I went to another school somewhere, I would have to change a lot of things about the way I teach in order to fit in.

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 4, 2009

It's really ridiculous that you got in trouble for being on the computer. Like someone asked before, what in the world do they expect of teachers? Geeez

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

I did the same thing as Jem... things were bad at my MS, but they were 1,846 times worse at the HS. That's were I learned the true definition of "micromanagement" and "APs who will do anything to get rid of a teacher."

Take a step back. If it happens again in class where you have to go to the computer to look something up for the kids, have some sort of assignment on tap for them to do while you're looking. As simple as "organize your notebook" or "write three questions you want answered on the topic."

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

Thanks for that idea.

Well...I thought I would at least have my part time job to fall back on...but I was let go from that today :(
    They are totally cutting the position (I answered phones at car dealership).
    They also cut 3 full time people too.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

Oh no, st. :hugs: I am so sorry! Hopefully bf still has a job?

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

Yes...for now...
    I'm just really praying that I can keep this teaching job...

23. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 4, 2009

Yikes, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of you PT job. This sure is a rough week for you.:hugs:

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 4, 2009

Oh, scienceteach. I'm so sorry.

Dh works with car dealerships, and his job has gotten 200% more stressful. Cars aren't selling, and dealers are freaking out.

I really hope this turns around soon. I have a friend over today who is working on resumes and applications. I'm trying to help her brainstorm-even the grocery stores and cafes around here are being super picky and want professional resumes.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

Can you pick up some tutoring?

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 4, 2009

:hugs: st

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

ST, I'm sorry you lost your part-time job.

28. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

ST,

I just sent you an PM.

Melissa

29. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

thanks again, everyone...
    I'm trying for another part time job...anything really...just in case