Not sure what else to do!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Amorgan883, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Amorgan883

Amorgan883 New Member

Jul 11, 2014

I have been subbing for the past 4 years at my target district, and became one of the most often called subs in that district. I graduated in May of 2013 and have been actively trying to find a full-time position since then. I've had long-term sub positions that I did excellent at (per what everyone told me). This summer I've applied to around 25+ different schools in Central Alabama. I personally hand deliver packets that contain my cover letter, resume, professional references, and a copy of my teaching certificate. Out of those 25+ schools, I have only heard from 1. The school that I did have an interview at is in my target district and I had a principal, counselor, and several different teachers that I know "talk" me up to this principal. I've subbed in this school many times, so I was already familiar with the principal and the school. I had a teacher that I know who set in on my interview and she said that I did a fantastic job. I sent the principal a thank you letter that briefly described why I would be appropriate for the position and how I enjoyed talking with her about her vision for the school. The principal said that she would contact me sometime that week...and...I still haven't heard a word on the position. It can be so frustrating! I don't know what I've been doing wrong!!!! :help

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

It could be that you have branded yourself as the best sub in the district and they need to keep you in that position because you are the best at it. I hope I'm wrong but I've seen it happen with paras who get their teaching degrees and still get passed up for available teaching positions at their schools. It happens with teachers who seem to be able to handle all the difficult behaviors. You'd think they'd get rewarded by not getting those types of students on their future rosters but that doesn't happen. I learned a few years ago to stop accepting all that was thrown at me. My work load is much more manageable than it used to be. Maybe you will need to have a sit down with the principal and explain that you want to move into a teaching position to have that stability. I know that our best subs are retired teachers. The few we had who who consistently passed over for available positions finally left subbing with us and found employment in another district.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2014

I don't know the Alabama market, but it sounds like your resume and/or cover letter might need some revisions.

5. Amorgan883

Amorgan883 New Member

Jul 11, 2014

That's where I am at this year. I have told several of the principals in my district that I will not be subbing this year because of various reasons. I've applied at districts in multiple counties. I even have some connections in other counties that has put in good words for me with those principals, but still nothing. I'm at a loss at this point. I've had many teacher friends look over my cover letter and resume and they said everything looks amazing. I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with the fact that I went to school out of state and maybe that's why I'm being over-looked.

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 11, 2014

Keep in mind the number of applicants for positions. The school/district may have criteria that must be met in order for a hire to take place. You have great experience but the district may go with someone who has been teaching for longer, maybe even five years. It is a matter of luck, timing, and who you know.

I've been in your situation. It actually felt cruel. I even student taught in one district and truly felt used. It was just a matter of my perspective on things. Now I see it all as a learning experience - hard to say but true.

Apply where they want you as a teacher - look out of the area and at private schools. Someone wants to hire you. You just need to find them.

Also consider the fact that your time as a sub may not be counted into salary scale determination. I was a sub for too long before I knew this. It was not until I was under contract as a sub for an entire year that I got credit applied - where I would be placed on the salary scale.

Good luck, I totally empathize with your situation.

Keep your chin up.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 11, 2014

Have you considered Tuscaloosa? I read an article yesterday concerning a need to fill 28 certified positions.

8. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

Something like this happened to my friend. While getting her credential she was at a school wearing various hats from TA to substitute to librarian. She stayed at that school for 10 years. When she finally got her credential they still never gave her a teaching position so she moved schools and got a classroom of her own. I'm sure there are many factors but them liking you where you are could be a reason for keeping you where you are. It's like being punished for dong a good job! Not cool. Good luck on your search!

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 11, 2014

I don't want to come off as rude but you haven't been waiting very long if you graduated last year. Most of us on here have been waiting years even for just an interview.

Did you ever think about subbing in other districts and not focus on your target district? Sometimes when you branch out, you find something when you least expect it. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  10. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

full-time experience > subbing experience and unless you bring something to the table, your not even going to get an interview. Its a tough fact of teaching. Where teaching is easy the applicant numbers can reach over 100, where its difficult the applicant #'s are close to 0.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

I know subs that waited 3+ years before they were even able to get a full-time job. Here's some suggestions:

1) I don't see any harm in checking in. But only ONCE, not being a badger about it. Principals are busy people and sometimes checking in (ONCE) helps. It shows you're interested.
    2) Keep working on your resume and cover letter. Highlight any experiences that show that you can handle a class on a day-to-day basis. See if you can get any long-term assignments if you HAVE to sub again for another year. My last long-term assignment helped me answer my interview questions that scored me a full-time job tremendously, one of the reasons why I got the job. Maybe express interest in not only full-time, but for any long-term. It's a totally different experience unlike day-to-day. Oh, and make sure you put those long-term assignments on your resume :)
    3) There were times when there were openings at schools I kept subbing at, and I didn't end up getting them. In most cases, it's called nepotism. My first year after subbing at one school for like a year, a special ed position was opening up. After I found out (early in the year too!), I rushed to the office expressing my interest, and was told "Nope, got filled, sorry!) And the school I worked at this year for one of my long-term assignments, a bunch of openings were open, but the principal already staffed everyone before the school year was over. Things like that happen.
    4) It's true, some principals might use you as a sub and that's it. All because you're good at it. Yes, it's totally wrong, but it happens. And any school where I mailed my resume to them, I'd get called back…to sub. It's so frustrating!
    5) Look for other districts, or out of state if you HAVE to. If you can't go to them in person, mail your resumes out in attention to the principal so it will go straight to his or her office.

12. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 11, 2014

I am sort of in the same position as you, except I just graduated this May and I am getting interviews, but not getting called back. Yes, it is frustrating. Some advice that I have gotten from this board and others in the profession to help both of us:
    1) Keep a positive attitude. (I know it is hard, but I feel so much better about the process since I changed my attitude.)
    2) Take a long hard look at all of your materials... I just did this and re-did most of them and then sent them to a Principal who is a friend to have her look at them! Waiting for her response.
    3) We have to remember how competitive this profession is and that means we need to make ourselves stand out at all times.
    4) The right job will come to us when the time is right. I know this isn't what you, or I, want to hear, but it is the truth. There are so many factors that play into this and most of them we really don't have any control over.
    If you ever want to chat, please send me a message. :)

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

Everyone has said to check your resume and cover letter and I agree with that. I also wanted to add that your university likely does this for free. You might also join an alumni network if you aren't already in one. Also, sometimes colleges have career fairs where schools will go to specifically look for grads of the school's education program.