Not sure HOW I'll make it to June!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by susanna74, Dec 14, 2010.

1. susanna74

susanna74 Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

I'm a first year teacher and NEW to special ed. I did my undergrad in elem ed and now going through a program to get certified in SPEd. I have 2 years to get it done. I wasn't getting any leads in getting a gen ed position. So, I made the decision to go into special ed (resource). I used to work as an instructional assistant for 8 years. I worked with k-2 and have also done resource. I loved it! Now, I am teaching resource and working with primary grades. It was supposed to be with k-2 BUT after I was hired they added 3rd and 4th grade. I really do not like it at all. The mentor at my school is very helpful BUT is constantly redoing my IEP's. She gives me assessments to do and after I get the data, I input it in the initial IEP and it's not what she wants. She tells me that it doesn't tell her anything. Well why the heck did you tell me to administer the test? I find it incredibly annoying. I love working with the kids in the primary grades k-2nd. I can't stand 3rd and 4th grade. Most of my experience is with k-2. I did my student teaching in 1st grade and loved it!! This job, I like, but I hate it. I hate planning because I have 4 grade levels to work with. I feel like I'm rushing through each lesson and not getting anywhere with these kids. I can deal with them though. My problem is that these IEP's.......just thinking about them makes me ill. It really does. I wish this mentor would just back off. If I make it to June then that will be great, but surplusing starts in spring. If I get surplused then I could get out and pick a gen ed class for the following school year. BUT if I don't, then I don't know what to tell my principal. I'll stick it out for my 1st yr but it's going to be hard. I have so much fun with the younger grades. It makes me laugh because everyday when I'm with kindergarten or first grade, I just have a different attitude than with the older grades. It makes me smile.......3rd and 4th.....not so much.

3. glitzeyes

glitzeyes Rookie

Dec 15, 2010

I am sorry to hear this. I would suggest discussing your concerns with your mentor in a professional manner..try something like, I noticed you have made changes to the IEP's I have created. Can you please explain why you made these changes so I know how to better improve? Also ask for help from other 3rd and 4th grade teachers for tips on how to plan for them.
    I also have to be honest with you and say that I see 3rd graders as the ideal grade! I loved 3rd grade during student teaching. I always thought I wanted to teach 1st grade but once I had experience with them I discovered just how needy they really are. It killed me that when I wanted to do a simple cut and paste project with them, that I had to stop and do a glue mini lesson first! I enjoy how 3rd graders are able to do things more independently but yet, they are still sweet like the children in the primary grades. I will say that that some grade levels suit some teacher better than others and there is nothing wrong with that...but work hard to embrace your job..think about why you are a teacher...and don't forget how many recent graduates out there such as myself would do anything to have a job, no matter what grade it was. I hope you find happiness in your job again and that things improve very soon!
    Also any tips you can give me on how to secure my first position? I did just accept a long term position for the rest of the school yr teaching 7th grade life science (my licensure is K-6 elementary, 4-8 science in Alabama and I recieved my education from Minnesota and have my inital licensure there in K-6, 5-8 science..)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2010

What specifically about the 3rd and 4th graders are you so unhappy with?

Also, in resource, why are you teaching so many lessons? The general education teachers should be the ones doing most of the teaching. Your job is to support what is going on in the classroom and work on helping the student to meet his/her IEP goals. You should not be teaching the curriculum-otherwise you aren't resource!

I agree about asking your mentor to explain the changes and why she wanted you to give a certain test if it doesn't give the information needed. Also, keep a good file of the tests and what information that they give. This way you know when to use them in the future. Maybe you will want to sit down and write an IEP with her so that you can see how she wants it done...

5. kab164

kab164 Companion

Dec 16, 2010

I live in a rural area with a very difficult job market for teachers. People don't leave so jobs don't open up very often. It took me four years to finally get a job (Title 1). Last year I also signed up for an LD endorsement in the hope that I'd get a job faster. Now that I'm in the school, I realized how hard it would be to be a new teacher and also in special ed with the paperwork, etc. Our special ed teacher is fantastic, the kind you want to be someday (she was my supervising teacher, she has taught both regular and special ed). Anyway, even she is overwhelmed this year so I am so thankful I didn't end up starting out in special ed. It would also be very hard to get all the classes done in 2 years while working.

I'm sure you will do great. Don't give up. I can't imagine 19 page IEPS, but you can do it!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

Also, don't think about making it until June. Set smaller deadlines...winter break, spring conferences, testing, spring break, memorial day, etc.