Not sure from here....

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by HeatherY, Sep 25, 2009.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Sep 25, 2009

I just came into the school year last week to break up two large classes. One of my kids is a gigantic behavior mess. He is always in everyone else's business, out of his seat, shouting out, talking to himself (his voice is VERY loud), trying to help other kids, and generally being a nuisance. He does not get his work done unless you prod constantly (because he is too busy doing bad behaviors). He gets defensive and sullen and combative. This is not new, his old teacher told me she saw the same thing. He is fully capable of doing the work, and is aware that he is not behaving properly.

The parents want him moved to the old class because at least there he was working (so it is assumed). The P does not want him moved. I almost think he might have ADHD or something along those lines- a social skills problem or something.

Do you have any ideas about how I could manage him? I am thinking a behavior contract- he has to read it if he is doing those behaviors. But I don't think for this child that is enough. I was thinking I might want to try some kind of tracking rewards system just for him. Like on his desk. I check him every ___ minutes and if he is on task he keeps a button and if he is off task I take a button and lost buttons = something...... What do you think? Any other ideas? I am going crazy!

3. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 26, 2009

Have you tried talking to the parents about his behavior at home as well? Does he actually do his work? Why not give a ton of praise for the things he does do appropriately and do not reinforce the behavior that is inappropriate. If he is bothering a child, teach the child to talk to him and tell him politely, "No thank you" or "I'm doing my work right now." Maybe that will help him realize what he is doing if you get the children involved.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 26, 2009

I wouldn't make a system where you take things away--it turns into a game with the behavior kiddos, and leads to frayed nerves for the teacher. (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, lol)

Reward the positive, give him a button for the good things you see. Have a set number of buttons for him to earn a reward. I'd even let him choose what it would be. (i.e. A coupon to get out of one assignment, computer time, small prize, etc.)

Oh, and have a set time for button counting/cashing in. That way he doesn't interrupt with "I have X buttons now!"

Kase has some good advice too.

5. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 26, 2009

In my practicum, we kind of did that system. We had a child who was very aggressive. We set up a token system with a velcro board. The teacher would wear a watch set for 15 mins. If he didn't have any aggressive behavior in that 15 mins, he was able to grab a token with a teacher and stick it on the board. If he had aggressive behavior he didn't get a token. When he got to 10 tokens he was able to pick something from the treasure box. It really worked. But we really reinforced the positive behavior. We almost over-exaggerated it. HAHA. All kids are different, so some ideas may not work.