Not sure about job- need advice.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MaleTeacher, Mar 23, 2019.

1. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

I am working as a second grade teacher at a title 1 inner city school. Regardless of the problems (with some kids and parents), I do like teaching there. The administration actually cares about the teachers and students. The problem is that I am not making a lot of money. I was recently offered a fifth grade job from the Baltimore City school district, and it's starting salary is over $9,000 more than what I make right now. This would help me a lot in terms of finances, but I am worried about taking the job offer.
    I do not want to end up at a school were administrative support is small or nonexistent, and were students run the place. I already make friends at this school, and just feel nervous when trying to think of the possible situations (both the good and bad) that could arise if I chose to quit and take this new job.
    Has anyone else been in my position before? If you took the new job, was it better than what you previously had or did you regret it?

3. JimG

JimG Comrade

Mar 23, 2019

What was your impression of the admin when you interviewed?

4. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

I never interviewed at the school site. I just did a phone interview with a Teacher Ambassador from the district, then an EPI professional inventory assessment. The next day I had a 15-20 minutes conversation with a recruitment officer. Three days later I get a call from the district human resource department with a job offer. They want me to teach either fourth or fifth grade, and they can place me at any school they want.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2019

Ask for a tour before deciding.

Aces, a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 24, 2019

I’d not take a job offer without seeing the school and talking with the people.

Aces and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

I don't think that would be possible. I work in Indiana, and this is for a teaching placement in Maryland. I would have to take my PTO days and drive over 6 hours just to meet with administration. They also don't know which school they want to put me in. However, I do know that it will be a title 1 school, regardless of the location.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 24, 2019

Alarm bells are going off in my head...

otterpop likes this.
  9. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 24, 2019

As someone who started off in Baltimore City, no. Just don't. It's a mess, all kinds of major issues. Lots of terrible mismanagement and bad administrators. The cost of living is probably a lot higher, too, and $9,000 is probably not going to end up making that much of a difference. Also, a lot of schools are in truly dangerous neighborhoods. My sister volunteered at a youth program for summer school programs last year, and at one school she said she could literally hear gunshots outside of the school. You have no idea where you would end up being placed. I know of at least a few people who ended up with nervous breakdowns after working there.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 24, 2019

Yeah, I would seek employment elsewhere. This reminds me of a shady district I applied to back in 2014 — despite being warned by other teachers working there — when my career was just getting started because I was enticed by the money. Well, there were gunshots literally down the road from where I was interviewing and I got up and left immediately without looking back. It’s not worth your safety to work at a school just for $9,000.

11. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Mar 25, 2019

Yes, I am worried about bad administration. I currently work in a shady (ghetto) neighborhood, and the school deals with gang violence. I agree that the cost of living is higher, and that $9,000 might get eaten up by rent quickly. However, I do not plan to live in Baltimore, but 20-25 miles outside of it. I will ask if I can get placed into an early childhood grade (K-2). This is where I have most of my experience, and would feel most comfortable with.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 25, 2019

I wouldn't take it. You're basically talking about moving from one state to the next to a school district where you could be placed in any school without seeing any of the schools and without talking to your potential administrator. The cost of moving, getting a new place and the possible negative situation wouldn't be worth $9000 for me.

13. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 25, 2019

All I can give you is the benefit of my experience. Why do you think Baltimore City has to recruit teachers this way?
    There was a series of investigative reports done by the Baltimore Sun last year about probably several hundred reports of student on teacher violence that were covered up. Not just high school! Years ago, I worked in a school and the kindergarten teacher told me about having been stabbed in her ankle with a pair of scissors (she was out on medical leave for quite awhile.)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 26, 2019

I would stick it out this year in your current school and keep applying elsewhere. I agree with the other posters that there are a lot of red flags in this situation.