not subbing enough

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Pickleodeon, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Pickleodeon

Pickleodeon Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

Hi, I'm brand spanking new to this forum. I have a subbing job at a middle and elementary school, the district that I graduated from. I just got back from hiking for 6 months in September, so I missed the window to apply for a full-time (art) teaching position (I knew that going into it). Now that I'm back, I've only applied to sub at this one district because last year I subbed for about a month this time of year and got called almost everyday. I was working weekends then too, and got hired full-time there and quit subbing.

Last week subbing I didn't get called once. People keep telling me to go to more districts, but I just don't think it's worth all the hassle. Find a district that needs subs, apply and fill out gobs and gobs of paperwork, find the school district, find the school, find the office, get hired, find the classroom, try to remember 2 students' names, REPEAT at several other schools.

I already know the district I'm in, for the most part, as far as schedules and arrival and dismissal and things go. I know some of the teachers there and feel semi-comfortable. As unpredictable as subbing is, I feel like it's a tiny bit easier at least knowing my way around the school itself. I'm not exactly the most outgoing person when it comes to new schools, teachers, etc.

So, where am I going with this? Well, since I don't sub everyday, and subbing just feels like a hassle most days- trying to figure out the teacher's plans, hoping that I called in the morning, trying to figure out what my paycheck is going to be every time.. I'm wondering if it'd just be easier to get a 9-5 everyday job. I like consistency, and once I have my own classroom, I'll have more control over that, but until then, I'd just like to work steadily.

Is this not in my best interests to get out of the teaching world? People keep saying, well, you have to get your foot in the door at districts so they'll hire you later. I don't know.

3. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

I totally understand about wanting steady work but its true about getting your foot in the door with subbing. I was a substitute teacher and I just recently got hired for a full time job. I was subbing at a school and one of the teachers I was working with recommended me for a 3 week sub position. While I was there for 3 weeks the principal came and observed me a few times. At first he told me that he would mention me to other principals in the district. A week or so later he decided that I was actually too good to lose and offered me a position for a teacher who was retiring :)
    Don't give up on subbing because it also looks good as experience. I say if you can make it work then you should stick with it. If you don't mind driving then why not sign up for more districts. You'll figure out the schools and the routines pretty quickly and then you'll have opened up so many more possibilities!
    Anyway, good luck!

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2009

A quick read of your post suggests that your heart might not be 100% into a teaching career. Is it?

In any event best of luck to you.

5. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 15, 2009

It seems that you are not designed to go with the flow that I required with subbing which in my opinion is a part of teaching as a regular teacher too.

If I may help you, here are the tips:

Get a composition book and partititon it to the number of districts you sub for. For each district, write this entry for each subbing day: Date; Job Number; Type of Assignment (either full or half day); Teacher's Name & Grade; Subject (if not elementary); Exact hours of schedule that day - Example 7:30-2:15 or 7:35-3:00.

At the end of each pay period of each district, fill in an entry of a line with dashes and write "Close" in the middle of that line.

There you have the data to calculate how many days and hours you work for each pay period. When you turn in a timesheet, your copy will show what day you turned it in. Group your copy of time sheets of different districts by district and put in separate ziplock bag and archive them.

Each time you get a pay check, pull out your copy of time sheets frocdm that distcrict and check to make sure you get paid for the correct amout of hours. If everything is correct, write a note stating that you got paid for that period; if not correct, write what is not correct and what day you contacted the payroll, etc.

This approach of developing an organized system prevents you from having to figure out how much you are making, etc. on a daily basis.

Hope this helps if you still want to sub.

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

Those are great ideas CurrentSubber!

7. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

8. multilingual

multilingual Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

If you really want to teach and get experience, I would go through the "hassle" and apply in other districts.

Do you know what was one of the most impressive things that I would remember and call back subs? It was when they had a business card, wrote me a letter that they enjoyed my class and would be glad to be back, etc. I now work at the district office and I have even had subs come in and introduce themselves and give me a business card-and I definitely spread word about them!

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

Hmmm....you want to sub every day, but you don't want to sub every day? Sounds like me!

In my area, budget cuts and other job losses have limited the amount of meetings and inservice days that subs have to be called in for. One district where I work has limited inservices and trainings to half a day and two teachers have to share a sub for one day. I've actually lost two sub jobs there this year because the schools overbooked. Added to that is the fact that the sub pool is larger because so many people are out of work and think subbing is easy money. The combination of those two things may be why you're getting less work than you did last year.

What you do has to be your own decision. I left a corporate job and got my credential last December. After subbing for a couple of months and not being able to afford it I quit subbing in April for a full time office job, thnking going to school had been a colossal waste of time and money. I hated every minute back in the office and it increased my resolve that teaching was where I wanted to be, so I went back to subbing this September. I'm making a whole lot less money than I was before and only working two to three days a week and that's in three districts. My hope is to get my foot in the door and get some letters of recommendation so I can apply for full time teaching positions for next school year.

If you're not sure what you want to do, and if you don't want to spread yourself to more than one district, maybe finding another job outside teaching would be a good thing. At the very least it could give you a comparison to decide where you want to be.

10. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 17, 2009

I am having the same problem. I am able to sub in 3 different districts and a charter school, but I am lucky to sub 2 days a week. I am really considering applying for an evening/weekend job, but that would mean no time with my family. Not sure what to do about it yet, but still hoping for more subbing jobs to open up as the bills don't stop just because I am not getting work.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009

I can kinda relate - not wanting to spread myself around different districts. I am a bit compulsively organized and it goes against my grain to have the potential conflict of sub calls to deal with. So, I just stay with the largest district in my area and market myself from school to school. And, I understand wanting to work consistently at a 9-5. When it comes to finances - you have to do what you need to survive. If I had a family and needed the consistency, I'd probably work as an aide to stay in the field of education.

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

I think if you can handle working in multiple districts then go for it!

13. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

I understand how you feel. I just graduated with a teaching degree in May and have been subbing for around 2 months now. I love it and dislike it at the same time. It's great to get my foot in the door and to stay in the field. But I too hate the inconsistency and not knowing when/if I am getting called. Some weeks I'll only get called twice - and other weeks I'll get multiple schools call me in a single day! Anyway - what I decided to do is get a waitressing job that is during the evenings and on weekends. I told them that I'd be willing to work 1 or 2 lunch shifts a week, but they know that I'm subbing too. This way, I am available to still sub 3-4 days a week, but I know that I have another job with a guaranteed 25+ hours per week, so I don't have to worry so much about not having enough money if I don't get called one week to sub alot. It would be great if you could get some sort of job that makes it so you could still sub, even if its not everyday.

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 19, 2009

I have a 2nd job starting at 5pm and going until closing which is 9:30 but we are usually there until 10 or 10:30 doing "recovery" or in otherwords cleaning up putting clothes up, returns up, straighting the floor etc. It is a garanted 5 hrs and I work either 3-4 days a week normally. I need to since I go to school also. My parents help me with school , but I have to pay as much as I can. Which is normally half and I cover the cost of buying used books.(books bought by another student )