Not Staying In Seat

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Oct 13, 2016.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 13, 2016

deleted

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Oct 13, 2016

I am not sure what grade you teach, but I am in 5/6 split and have a few wanderers. Here is what my class looks like on most days. :)
    • To leave for the washroom, I have a magnetic white board with their name cards by the door. They use this to sign out when they leave. One boy and one girl can be gone at the same time. They don't need to ask to leave, but they can't leave during the teaching of a lesson. If they abuse this (i.e. leaving the class too many times), then they lose this privilege.
    • Most lessons are created so they can either do partner work and move around. The only time we are sitting quietly is during a test or during journal writing time.
    • For some, I have them do a short walk in the hallway when they need to move around.
    • If students are getting restless, we go outside for a brain break. We will either do laps or play a fun playground game.
    • One of my students sometimes needs to move. We have an agreement that he can do this as long as he is not being disruptive to his classmates.
    • I find that those who wander or don't pay attention will miss key instructions. the natural consequence is homework. I don't have a lot of homework in my class, so this really works for me.
    • I am not sure how much school support you have, but students that are disruptive are sent to another teacher's classroom with work to be done. I have spoken to a few of my students about how their actions affect others in the classroom. In order to be in the classroom, there are expectations that I have.
    • I give some students assignments in smaller chunks as too much is overwhelming which could cause wandering.
    Parent meetings can be stressful. List all of the positives and then go into how he is in the classroom and how it effects his learning. Make sure to tell the parent what strategies you have tried and what other ideas you have. I have also asked parents what strategies they find work best for their child at home. While we can't do everything that works at home, their may be a couple ideas that can fit into your routine.

Good luck! It makes for a tiring day for teachers.