Not so soon...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PinkCupcake, Sep 17, 2011.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 17, 2011

I thought I would last longer into the school year without getting sick! I have a slight sore throat and very little of a voice left. I'm hoping it clears up enough by Monday. I don't want to use any sick days so soon.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

Neti pot, vitamins, orange juice, and water. Stat!

I hope you feel better soon!

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 18, 2011

I've been sick one this year already! It was over Labor Day weekend. Not how I wanted to spend my weekend. This weekend I don't feel the greatest.

Taking my vitamins. Need to schedule a flu shot.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

Me, too! Such a bummer!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 18, 2011

We've had kids for four weeks and I've been sick three times. My immune system is weak but that still seems like a lot!

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2011

I am stuffy today. I am thinking and hoping it's just from sitting outside in the cold for our yard sale yesterday, and sleeping with the windows open because the cold air feels wonderful. I hope it doesn't develop into something else.

I feel like Caesar and I should be on a neti pot commercial - I know we have both mentioned using them several times on here. lol. But I definitely second that.

When I start to feel bad, there is this smoothie by Bolthouse Farms called C-Boost. Usually they are in the organic or veg section with the Odwalla, Pom, etc. type drinks. I chug the whole thing and I swear by it for warding off a cold.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

It would be a very weird commercial, I'm sure. :lol:

I definitely stand by the neti pot, though. Sometimes I feel like kicking myself for not discovering it sooner in life.

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

My voice is done! I can only handle saying a few words at a time. No offense to any subs, but I don't wanna call one for tomorrow. Mondays are crucial introduction days to the topics!

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

I'm fighting off a cold right now; being able to rest over the weekend is helping it. Currently I have four students with NASTY colds. I've never had so much sickness so soon.

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

I learned about the Netipot last school year! Great invention. I went a lil horse earlier this school year... but so far smooth sailing! (knock on wood)

12. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

same!

Started like a dropped bomb on Thursday 1/2 day off; not better Friday; sick all weekend; last night worse (continual); taking today off. Doctor's office says its a "bug" and not to eat solids for 24 hours after vomiting. Clear liquid diet, then add solids like mashed potatoes --you know the drill. Its yukky and I wish they would send the sick kids home from school so others will stay well.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 19, 2011

The Monday before school started I got sick. I was feeling better by the first day on Wednesday, but I lost my voice by Thursday and Friday. The students were aware what was going on and for the most part were well-behaved because of it. I also was not okay with being out of school because it is the beginning of the year and I knew I could make it through the day no problem (just really sucked for my voice).

I hate using Neti pot but it does work-- I tend to use it a lot over the spring and summer months because of my allergies. I don't touch it though unless I'm desperate because I hate the sensation of water going through my sinuses. I also stick to consuming a lot of warm liquids-- I tend to get better faster when I don't really eat but I do consume tea, coffee (with skim milk), brothy soup. Extra sleep is also very important!

My voice is still getting better-- it takes me a long time to have full range again-- and I'm feeling okay.

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 19, 2011

My voice is much better today. I was drinking water like crazy throughout the day. I also put Lysol wipes to good use before school!