Not Rehired After Your 1st Year?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ms. I, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2007

This is for all you 1st year teachers who didn't get rehired.

So, what are your future plans? Did you get another teaching job, get a career in a different field, become or return to subbing, are you taking some time off, etc.? Are you finding it difficult to get hired again because districts are wary of you being at your other district for only a year?

I'm one of those who didn't get rehired for the 2007-08 year & it doesn't look like I'll have a teaching job for the next year. I guess I'll return to subbing until I can figure out my next step.

Let's discuss!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

Did they tell you why they didn't rehire you? That's a bummer. It sounds like you have your head together and are being realistic about subbing again. I worry when I hear people are still looking at the end of the summer. It's best to get everything together for subbing just in case that next teaching position doesn't come. Best wishes to you.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Actually, the principal said that, "I wasn't a good fit for that school". That's all I ever found out. The bummer is that she (the principal) won't even be there next year either!

I admit I didn't try as hard as I could have to find another job. I'm actually looking into switching gears to the health care field. Honestly, teaching isn't my passion.

Thank you for posting!

5. b2teach

b2teach Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I'm glad that you admitted that teaching was not your passion. There are a lot of people teaching right now who should not be in my opinion. I mean, I know that there is a great need for teachers but some people just don't fit the profile correctly and end up leaving the teaching field all together. But there are some great teachers out there and you guys should keep up the good work.

6. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I'm in the same boat Ms. I. I knew that they weren't going to hire me so I resigned before the district could fire me (my mentor told me to do this so it wouldn't be on my record that I was fired). I have been subbing at another district to get my foot in the door so I will see where this leads to. I love teaching and I am definitely not giving up. I saw one of my ex students at chick-fil-a recently and she said I was her best math teacher and that she wants to be a teacher now :) . I was on cloud nine for the rest of that day. I am definitely not giving up.
    good luck to those that are still trying.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2007

So when filling out those job apps when it asks the very specific question of: Have you been asked to resign from any certificated postion & if so, explain...what does everyone say?

There's numerous people in a lot of careers who aren't exactly passionate about their jobs for that matter. That still doesn't mean they aren't d*mn good at their jobs. Those people just make it up in their mind to either do it or not & make the best of it. I personally did not get into teaching for the summers off, the pay, etc. I do like working w/ kids. It's a shame that this 1st experience of not being rehired may make me sour on staying into teaching altogether, but that's how things go sometimes. If all else fails, I earned a MA degree in Education & 2 credentials no one can take that away from me! :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

I guess it depends on how you left your last job... My principal has told people (who weren't 'good fits') that if they resigned rather than being fired she would tell those who called for references that it was a 'numbers' (budget, people returning from leave, RIF, etc) decision-

You can also say that you were looking for a district that values professional growth, that you were looking to re-locate for ease of commuting (if the new job is not near the old job), that your position was eliminated (make sure your previous administrator is on board with this one as above..) along those lines...

9. LisaCUP2001

LisaCUP2001 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I actually had this happen to me this year. I had a HORRIBLE principal that a moved away to teach at her school...and she turned against me and didn't help me when i needed it...told me to figure stuff out for myself :mad:

I quit because she basically told me to make a choice...resign or get fired. I didn't want it on my record so i resigned.

I put my application back online and had another job in the middle of the year in a week! ;)

My advice...let that school go...keep looking...lots of jobs come around once school starts and they realize how many students they actually have!! :)

10. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

NEVER feel bad if you don't have a job near the end of the summer! (However it does make you start to sweat!) I work for a large district which routinely does not hire people until July or later- go figure. I guess it's a budgeting thing.
    Also, many positions open up just before school begins leaving principals in difficult positions. My principal thought he had all positions filled for this coming year, and found out 2 days ago that 2 more teachers from our building are going elsewhere.
    If you want to teach, sub and do whatever else it takes to get your name out there. Sub at a variety of schools in a variety of districts. Let other teachers, administrators, parents..... know you are looking for a job. I have found in most job searches that WHO you know really does make a huge difference. (And that's not just in education......)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks all for your info.

czacza, those reasons sound good. But, w/ my situation, my principal isn't returning back either next school year & even if she was, I wouldn't trust what she tells other districts for a reference. I know I did my best, but I don't want to be blackballed.

LisaCUP2001, I'd really be interested in knowing how you explained yourself on the next job interview w/o badmouthing your horrible principal?

12. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

That is so harsh I can't believe they just said you "didn't fit". If you like teaching you really should keep it up...don't let one bad experience bring you down. If you don't like teaching then move on...no one said you have to stick to one career and one career only.

13. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I would go back to college and get your reading endorsement. I had to take 3 extra reading classes and could teach Title I classes. They always are looking for teachers who have extras in reading.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks. Yes, in the older days, didn't saying that someone "isn't a good fit" grounds to sue the workplace? I agree that that isn't a very ethical/nice thing to say. I mean the term "does not fit" can be interpreted to many different things. These employers better be careful how they word things to people. In my situation, my principal said that right in front of the union president! Apparently, she didn't see anything wrong w/ that wording.

15. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

well keep your chin up...you are better off not being in a place like that. Good Luck:)

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

\I think it's perfectly acceptable to say this- it might actually be kinder than why a teacher is actually being let go... I don't know what the grounds for 'suing'might be here? Not a good fit could have to do with classroom management, philosophy, pedagogy, parent relations, public relations...numerous reasons...definitely seems more PC to me than other things they could say.... :whistle:

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2007

Well, I don't know about other people, but I'd much rather know the truth, so I can improve next time. For example, if I didn't manage teaching time effectively or collaborate w/ other teachers as well as I should have, let me know! In fact, I think a boss saying, "doesn't fit" is kind of a cowardice move on their part. They get off easy w/o having to go in depth explaining themselves & who knows, maybe some of them can't really put their finger on it themselves, which would be even worse.

Plus, before the day I was told I wasn't going to be rehired, I never had any indication of anything I was doing wrong. A good boss will sit their employee down the moment they notice a problem, so that employee can make changes right then. I honestly think the principal had a plan from the beginning of the school year all along. Not everyone on this earth cares about others succeeding. There are many vindictive, two-faced people out there.

I was planning on going to the principal during the last week of school to find out exactly why I wasn't rehired, but due to personal circumstances for her, she was out for the last month of school.

It's really something how things can unfold.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I'll speak as one who was "pink slipped" three years in a row.

After I graduated, I put in my application to teach and to sub. There were no teaching jobs in my area, so I took the subbing job. I ended up working every day but 5 all year, and that included two long term subbing positions in the area I wanted to teach.

I planned on subbing the next year because it looked like nothing would be available. As it turned out, early in the summer they had a position open up in my area for a half-time plus position . . . basically four classes per day, one more class than half time. I took it.

At the end of that year, I was let go because the school went to block scheduling and closed their alternative school, both of which meant teachers were lost from the school. I decided to go back to subbing.

A couple of weeks before school started, they asked me if I'd like to teach ONE CLASS at another school and be an aide the rest of the day. I agreed. About two weeks into the school year, a position opened at that school. I was NOT hired for it, but that same day I got a call from the superintendent asking me if I'd take a full-time position as a homebound teacher and keep my one class. I took it.

At the end of that year I was again "pink-slipped" because my one class was due to overload of kids, and they moved to the next school. I planned to sub again . . . but was also told that if there was enough funding, I could have the homebound job again.

About a month before that school year began, I got a call from the school where I had worked the year before offering me a one-year position for a teacher who was going overseas for a year. Naturally, at the end of that year I expected to get yet another notice. However, the superintendent called me around "pink slip" time to tell me that he didn't have any idea what it might be, but he could promise me a full-time teaching position the next year. That position turned out to be the same one that I had the year before. The returning teacher moved to a new position, and the teacher who was hired the year before was let go. (She wasn't from our town and planned on moving out of state within the next year anyway.)

By that time I had been employed long enough for the school to offer me a continuing contract. I've been there ever since! (I'm starting my 15th year.)

I always made sure to do everything just like they wanted, or try darned hard anyway, and I let them know that I wanted to stay in the area . . . and we're rural without tons of people wanting to come here unless they are from here.

19. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Last year at our full district back-to-school teacher day one of the principals got up and proudly announced that for the first year they would be starting the year with a full staff...... and then a teacher quit later that week before classes started!
    Positions definitely continue to open as the year begins (especially when you look at the "how do I resign" posts on this website).

20. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

I can speak to being let go for not being a good fit. Basically I had the support of most of the teachers except the other "K" ones because I didn't kiss their butt! I was hired because I teach developmentally appropriate and non-biased (lived near an indian reservation) and don't push academics in K. They went to all day K that year and the other 2 wanted to turn K into first grade and didn't want to teach the Native Americans! Well one of the other K teachers was best buds with the principal and the principal let me go without even a clue-no bad observations, meetings, etc. My class list was full for the next year due to requests, etc. Parents and teachers wrote letters and attended school board meetings, etc. but it didn't matter.

It all turned out for the best! I am know in a different district in a different part of the state and I am happy to be there! I have a good prinicpal that is fair and listens to both sides (most of the time) and is very trusting and understanding!
    Hang in there, maybe there is a better district/job out there for you!

21. LisaCUP2001

LisaCUP2001 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I actually didn't say anything about that position. It was never asked of me because i didn't put it on my resume because of the horrible way those two months went. I've talked with a lot of the people in the school since then and said how i started the year at a different county...and said that it was a horrible experience and the principal was horrible and very unsupportive. I've never said her name except to a few people that i've trusted in the school...which a few of them have had run-ins with her and said the exact same thing i did...so i guess it wasn't just me!:unsure:

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

FYI - I am not sure if this is just my state or all states, but in Delaware, you cannot just fire a non-tenured teacher for no reason. It is easier than it is for a tenured teacher, but you can't just say "You aren't a good fit" anymore. They have to have a documented reason why you aren't a good fit. If you are in your union or association, talk to a rep from your school. If they don't want you there, you probably don't want to stay, but you can probably get it changed to resigned or something on your record.

23. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 4, 2007

In Oregon (unless it's built into the contract I believe) they can let you go for no reason at all.

Cheer up, if you're truly a teacher, and you know if you are, then don't give up! You'll find your perfect fit, and probably be much happier in a place that appreciates your style and abilities.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2007

Thanks everyone for your info & encouraging words! Isn't it something how every state, county, etc. is different? Some can let you go for no reason, some can't.

My union president, who was sitting right there when the principal told me I "wasn't a good fit" suggested that I resign so it won't go on my record. She also mentioned that I'm better off anyway. But that's easy for her to say, they're not letting her go for no reason.

I didn't really like it there anyway, otherwise I might have fought more to keep my job. Oh well, I say, everything happens for a reason, so I'm sure I'm better off!

Any more thoughts?

25. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

I have been let go too many times. It doesn't matter if it is your first year teaching, only that it is your first year in that district. Every year, I seem to be the low man on the totem pole and "due to numbers", I am told that I will not have a position the next school year. Most of the time, this is true. But last year, I was told this for the second time in two years, after I was rehired for last school year. Turns out that people hired after me where not let go. I was the only one.
    I asked my representative about it and he told our advocate who called and told the superintendent and principal that they could not do that. Needless to say, I got my job back (they moved me to 5th). I never found out what the problem was. I wish I knew. I really think that it must just be a personality conflict. Who knows. I just hope that they won't be gunning for me this year.

26. LisaCUP2001

LisaCUP2001 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

that's a very rough situation there! glad to hear you got that job back though! if it was me i'd be skeptical all year long if they were just trying to find something wrong with what i'd be doin! I hope that things work out for you!

27. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

:unsure: Me too. I plan to keep my nose clean (always have) and stay clear of the boss whenever possible.
    I love my co-workers. They are wonderful. For the most part, the students and parents are great, too. It just comes down to the administration. They either like you or they don't. I have never given anyone any reason to dislike me (or so I thought). I am not confrontational and I follow all the school rules (at least the ones that I know about). Rules seem to change alot around here with no notification (until you break the rule).
    Anyway, I have never been written up for anything and all my evaluations are positive. Who knows what happened?

28. LisaCUP2001

LisaCUP2001 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

usually it's the other way around that they don't like you so they write you up for about a million things during the course of the year!! :|

Rules always change before you know it! that's at least how my school's been working! one day it's like this and then the next watch your back because you did the exact same thing you did yesterday and now thats BAD! :huh: i guess that's a way of life?!