Not Qrt

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by aduncan365, Dec 13, 2005.

1. aduncan365

aduncan365 Rookie

Dec 13, 2005

We'll we've just gotten in the habit of quiet reading time, but I'm looking for ideas and suggestions...
    Do you real out loud to your older students? I know I would never be too old to have someone read to me but ...
    If you have any ideas for good books to read aloud please share.
    Also, do you do projects on books you read out loud or is it strictly a pleasure/reward activity? Do you maybe read books that are a little more advanced than what the kids read by themselves?
    Thanks. Amy

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2005

Hi Amy. I read aloud to my Grade 5 students a lot! They love it and beg me to keep reading. We just finished The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe on Monday and are heading off to see the movie tomorrow. Before that I read the non-fiction book Hana's Suitcase, which is the story of a Jewish girl during the Second World War. I am struggling with deciding what to read after the Christmas break...both of these books have been pretty "heavy" and I'm thinking we need something lighter, but the kids beg to differ. I always have the students doing some follow-up activities. For The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, they completed a timeline for each chapter, completed graphic organizers about some of the main characters, and will be writing a book review. After seeing the movie they will write a movie review then complete a comparison of the two. Even though they have to do "work" about the books, my current class looks upon the book we are reading together a reward! (It was so thrilling to bring in the rest of the "Narnia" books today and have them almost literally fighting over who would read them first!)

4. meghateach

meghateach New Member

Dec 17, 2005

I still remember in sixth grade my teacher read Where the Red Fern Grows. We all seemed to love it. It's a classic and was even then but I know I waited anxiously each day to hear the next chapter.

5. aduncan365

aduncan365 Rookie

Dec 18, 2005

thanks so much for your replies.
    We have decided to read Where the Red Fern Grows. This will be so great!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

I read aloud daily to my 5th grade. I was so disappointed when they didn't all love The Lion, The Witch .... I don't do book projects with the read-aloud. They are done just for their personal reading or literature circle books. I try to keep the read-aloud time very undemanding in the hopes of hooking in the non-readers. We all enjoy it a great deal.