not one thank you

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Jun 5, 2012.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

So I just finished the kindergarten graduation. During the graduation, I showed a slideshow with pictures of them and video of their fieldtrips and all the things we did this year. I had cake and punch for all of the graduates and their families. I gave all the graduates a gift that consisted of a copy of the slideshow, a framed picture of the class and a few other fun things. (We have a very small class!)

I didn't get one thank you. Why? Maybe I sound like a crybaby for wishing I got a few thank you's.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 5, 2012

I don't know if it will make you feel any better but it was the same for us as well. We actually got complaints about the refreshments-which we did out of our own pockets/kitchens. What are you going to do?

Maybe the parents were overwhelmed with their own emotions of the day-that's what I tell myself anyway. ;) It does hurt a little bit though, especially when you did so much more beyond your job description!

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 5, 2012

That's a shame that none of the parents thought to say thank you. I know that's not why you did it, but when you put that much effort in, its nice get the thanks. I'm sure many of them were grateful, they just didn't think to pass the thanks along to you.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2012

I am always touched when one of my kids says thank you. Parents are usually better. I wonder how many of us teach those magic words to kids. I think I have a new goal for next year. I have always made my kids thank the bus driver on our PE trips.

6. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

It's always nice to receive thanks. Our Class Party/Awards are on Thursday and I'm planning on having a slide show, refreshments, and give the kids beach balls to sign. Most of the parents are attending and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for at least a couple of thank yous. I will be thanking them for their support throughout the year as well. :p

7. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

I felt this way last year when the same thing happened to me. It still grates me, actually.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2012

I know you didn't do that just to hear thank you, but it would have been nice.

I volunteered over forty hours for a group, and only two kids/families said thank you. It does grate on the nerves a bit.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 5, 2012

People are rude. Many adults don't teach their children how to be polite.

So... THANK YOU for being a thoughtful teacher from another teacher :) When they students come across these memory treasures you gave them, they will be so thankful they had you for their teacher!

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 5, 2012

People can be so thoughtless. I think you did a great thing for your students. I don't blame you for for a mild pout. Your post just reminds me to always be grateful for what others do for me. I hope I always show my appreciation.

So... THANK YOU for being a thoughtful teacher from another teacher When they students come across these memory treasures you gave them, they will be so thankful they had you for their teacher

Same as Bio

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 6, 2012

I'm sorry they were inconsiderate...I think they probably were just wrapped up in the events of the day. Some of them were probably thinking hours later, "I didn't even say thanks :( "

I have done the same thing before- didn't realize how much work someone had put into something (or just thought of it as their job) and neglected to say thank you. I hope your post keeps me from EVER doing it again.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 6, 2012

I have been at my current school for 6 months and only one parent has ever thanked me for working with his child. These students have difficult behavior/cognitive problems and he says he knows how hard I work every day. That just made me so happy to hear that he understood what I do every day. He also said that "we" will continue to work together to help his child do better. He didn't say it was only MY job to help this child but he is willing to do his part. That is the best thing a parent can say!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

Personally, I don't think parents realize how much work goes into a slideshow... I have done a few for memorials for fam members.... It's very time consuming!!!

So like another teacher I will THANK YOU for taking the time to make that day so special!!!!

TeacherNY... I got a nice thank you card when I student taught from a Mom... I still have it to this day and when I come across it, it still brings a smile to my face!!!

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 6, 2012

I agree--even getting the pics from throughout the year is hard. We'll be halfway through an activity before I'll say to myself, oh I should have taken pictures of that.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

Kinder... I do the same thing all the time..Either that or people look at me like you need a picture of that...then it really turns out cool!!!