Not much time left!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Aug 23, 2007.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2007

School starts on Monday and I'm so scared! I was in my classroom until almost 10 tonight, so I had a 14 hour day. Tuesday I stayed until 9. I think my classroom is set up as much as it's going to get, but I'm scared about the first week. We don't have anything scheduled for the first day, so I figure I'll just teach rules, procedures, and do some fun icebreakers/games with them. I'm not sure exactly what procedures I need to teach though! I have a list with things like going to the bathroom, lining up, and others-but I'm worried I'll miss something. Does anyone have a list of the procedures they teach the first week???

We do OCR at my school, and the second day of school we're only supposed to do the Getting Started, Day 1 section-which can't take all that long! I think I'll be fine on Thursday once we start the unit, but I'm really worried about Tuesday and Wednesday-that I wont have enough to do. Any suggestions on time fillers in case I run out of things to do??

I'm sure it will be fine, but it's my first year and I'm really nervous right now!

3. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I see you are from Idaho? I am in Coeur d'Alene. :)

If I were you, I would plan out what you are going to do during every time period of the day. It doesn't sound like you have done that. Make detailed plans! Think about which procedures you will teach and how you will SHOW and not just TELL. Include your attention signal. How will you get their attention? What are the rewards/consequences for their actions? What are the procedures for getting a drink or using the bathroom and for lining up? Plan when you will teach each procedure and how. Overplan. Also include a fun getting to know you activity and a project that can be displayed in the room. This will help them have ownership in the classroom. Another good first day activity is a simple writing assignment. I have my first graders draw a picture about their favorite things and then write about it as well. This gives me a great peek into their writing skills.

Google "Back to school activities" and you will find lots of fun ideas!

Good luck to you! You will do fine if you plan specifically what you will do! If you plan a variety of activites, you won't have to have filler activities.

4. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 23, 2007

One other thing! It takes lots of time to put supplies away. Plan how you will have the students put things away.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2007

I learned in this first week...
    1. Review the procedures for your classroom library 90 times, or they'll put in books backwards or out of order! In fourth grade, they're doing that!!! I thought two procedure talks were enough, but I'll just go on and on...
    2. Start where the kids somehow all face forward. Groups worked in the 2nd and 3rd years, but not this year as much. I have them in twos now. :)
    3. Procedures, procedures, procedures.
    4. Supplies- I labeled them myself, mainly.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

Even tough you are doing the "getting started" in OCR you can still distribute the texts, have them browse the selections in the unit, and explain how you will teach OCR. For example, I tell my kids that we do vocabulary and word knowledge before we begin each new selection. I tell them that this is done by powerpoint and I go over "how" we do this. For example, I will say "line one" and they read the words. I will say "line two" and they read the words, etc. I explain how they set up their notebooks for each story and how to draw pictures for the vocabulary, write a sentence, etc.
    Also, don't be afraid to get a head start in OCR. If your district is anything like mine, they probably have you doing the unit closure one day, unit assessment the next two days, and unit opener (for the next new unit) the next day. It gets hectic and you will be happy to be a few days ahead of the madness!
    Type in "procedure list" up top and you will find someone who recently left a detailed list of procedures for the first few days of school. Good luck.:)

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2007

I don't even have my schedule yet, so I don't know how much time I need to plan for! I guess I should just plan for the entire day-as if they wouldn't leave at all-and then I should have plenty. I'm working on a military base and teachers constantly get moved around-so I didn't want to plan too much and then end up somewhere else! I guess I should have just done it anyway!

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

-how to sharpen pencils
    -how to turn in homework
    -how to line up
    -how to walk in the hallway
    -how to use the restroom/line up afterwards
    -how to get ready for lunch
    -how to head their papers
    -how to check out a library book from my library
    -how to turn in lunch money
    -how to keep their desk tidy
    -how to talk in groups/how to behave in groups
    -where to put parent notes, tardy slips, and other things like that (in a basket on my desk).
    -Instead of sharpening during the day, get a sharp pencil from my desk & turn in their dull pencil.
    -what to do if they finish their work early
    -computer behavior

I also go over my rules, and we discuss why they are important, and all the consequences & rewards.

hth you :) good luck!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2007

Sorry - what is OCR?

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2007

Open Court Reading.