Not in control/out of control

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, May 28, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 28, 2015

I'm frustrated that I get blamed for a lot of things that I consider not in my control. I've done well this year, but have managed to tick off a great many teachers in the last week alone. These teachers are abrasive and I'm not sure how to tactfully deal with these issues. Sometimes, I'm abrasive right back, which is obviously not ideal. Here are some issues I've been dealing with:

Scenario A: I teach a special subject, so I provide some preps and some pull-outs, all of which are listed on a schedule all teachers have access to. The last several weeks we've been testing, so the schedule has been different. The P sent out an email saying we are going back to regular schedule this week and linked to the schedule. Teachers have been showing up at my classes for the times on the testing schedule, not the regular schedule, only to find another class in there. They are then mad that I didn't remind them. I feel like our P reminded them, so why should I? Should I email every single teacher in the school to remind them of their personal time? One teacher wrote me a nasty email because I didn't remind her students about the time they had my class. Why should I tell her students? I only see them once a week, so I didn't have an opportunity to. Why is it their job to know the schedule and not her job?

Scenario B: I'm throwing an end-of-the-year party for one class because they met a goal. I decided to do it on a certain day. This class is a pull-out, so a few kids are coming from 9 different teachers for it. The teacher is mad because my party is on the same day as her party, even though the times do not conflict! She says it isn't fun to have 2 parties in a row and they kids won't be hungry for my party. I explained that I can't do it any other day because I'm being reassigned for the last week of school to take care of other duties, but overheard her complaining about me in the staff room regardless. This seems so petty and ungrateful to me! How can I coordinate around a crazy end-of-the-year school schedule + schedules of 9 different teachers?

Scenario C: Multiple teachers going on last-minute field trips and not telling me until 2-3 days before. They then want me to reschedule their prep, but I'm having a hard time since I'm not teaching next week, the last week of school! They are then mad.

Scenario D: For one of my pull-outs, I noticed no students for a certain teacher had arrived. I called up there and the teacher who yelled at me, told me her students were failing something and would not be going to my class today and then hung up. So, I decided to stop calling teachers to remind them of pull-outs. Then, another teacher was angry I didn't call and remind her!

I feel like I can't win!

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

In the same boat, except I have reached refusing to allow me to pull SPED kids because of testing review.

I have no advice, my solution is to get a different job, but that may not be an option for you.

:hugs:

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 28, 2015

I am right there with you. I think this is inevitable when are not a classroom teacher and you have to work with so many people. I get so tired of sending out e-mails and then getting 10 questions that would be answered if people would simply read their e-mail...but then if you send multiple e-mails, some people are offended by that...it never ends! I try my best to follow the "let it go" mindset but it is hard. You will never be able to please everyone all at once.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 29, 2015

I have noticed as I have aged that I respond differently to abrasive, complaining teachers. I now have no problem putting them in their place. I try to do it nicely, but I let them know that they are in the wrong and I will not be treated that way.

I know this is easier said than done for newer teachers who are worried about keeping their jobs, so I'm not necessarily recommending this route for everyone.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2015

Oh, my, those teachers sound really nasty. I think specials teachers get dumped on way too often. Yesterday, my sister's (art) principal announced 2 minutes into first period that all specials were to report to the gym for a program. No notice at all. She once told my sister that her main role was to relieve the classroom teachers. What?

You don't have long to go this year. Just let it go in one ear and out the other. You are not responsible for ensuring that everybody else is up to date when the principal already notified them. Hang in there.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 29, 2015

Tell them to come work at my school where there are no specials.

Also tell them they are lucky because if that is the stuff they are complaining about, then they have it pretty easy.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 29, 2015

I think by this time of the year, most teachers are sick of school, sick of the students, and even sick of each other. Emotions tend to run high at this time of year, and there's a lot of friction between teachers and between admin and teachers. Just so many things going on, and so many ends to tie up, plus the end is so near.

I would ignore it and hold out till the end of the year without talking to anyone if possible. (I just avoid all encounters when I realize people are being short tempered).

Then next year start fresh.