Not Having Experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Nab, May 10, 2017.

1. Nab

Nab Companion

May 10, 2017

I have been on three interviews in the past two weeks. All three ended with the interviewer basically telling me: "Good luck in the future." Before this, I have had five interviews in the past five months. I've been told in every interview that they love my resume and love my answers to the questions. They love that I bring a portfolio, they complement my work, they are happy that I have volunteered in educational settings with different age groups, and even though I have little experience - they are excited about my classroom management and my interest in professional development.

But, I never get the job. I've asked and they usually reply that they just had to give it to someone with more experience. (Even if that experience was only a year.) Is there anything more I can do? I'm going to be subbing in the Fall, if I don't get a job before than. But, other than that. . .I cannot think of a single thing that would help my chances.

It's also really frustrating when people with the same experience get a job - at their old high school or middle school - because their principal from four-six years ago has been saving it for them. My sister suggested it is the area - too small and everyone hires either old students or children of staff members. I'd like to expand my search, but I cannot drive due to a physical disability, so I'm a bit stuck. (And no, I never mention the driving thing in interviews. Besides, I have a network of four different people who drive me to work. It's never been an issue.)

3. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 10, 2017

If the driving thing hasn't been an issue, what's the issue with expanding your search? If your area is small enough that there aren't that many teaching jobs to begin with, then the next logical step is to expand your search. Either apply at schools you haven't already applied to, or apply to schools a little farther away.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

May 10, 2017

Subbing is a good step. Other than that, I can tell you that nothing is going to help. I'm on year four in the same situation - no driving because of disability. In my state, having a car is listed as a requirement on some postings. When you're getting trumped by people admins have personal connections to, improving your resume or adding to your portfolio isn't going to make a difference. What may edge you over someone else is familiarity with your work. If they interview you and their neighbor's son-in-law and they have seen you in the classroom but not the other guy, that might be enough.

5. Nab

Nab Companion

May 10, 2017

@carolinafan - The issue is that the people who drive me are only, understandably, willing to go so far. Remember, they have to make the trip more times than I do. Also, where I am, the districts are either VERY small or VERY large. I've sent out my application to five different districts. Any farther would be at least two hours away - NO ONE is willing to drive me that far at 6:30 in the morning. Meanwhile, I can safely tell you that every middle and high school within 55 miles of me has my resume.

I had an interview at a high school yesterday. I got an email late this afternoon (like 4:30) letting me know they had gone with someone else. They weirdly put the person's name. I looked her up - she is a teacher whose been teaching in the district (at the high school literally ten minutes from the one I interviewed at) for four years. :( That makes sense. I'm just a bit annoyed that they probably knew they were going to hire someone already in the district, but still did interviews. Meanwhile, the high school she is currently at, put up a 'Welcome Letter' on their front page - the woman who just finished student teaching there will be taking her place. :(

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 10, 2017

I ran into this often when I was looking for my first job. I was continually passed over for someone with more experience. So, I spun it into my 'weakness'. They always ask what your weaknesses are, and if they don't, there is usually a chance to repsond to "is there anything else we should know about you?"

In my final interview, the one that finally landed me a job, I said, "I understand that I don't have any classroom experience of my own. But I will work harder than any teacher out there. I will ask questions when I'm not sure, but I am confident I can do this. I know it's risky to hire someone brand new, but I guarantee, I am worth the risk." (Or something to that effect... it was 8 years ago...).

pommom and Nab like this.
  7. Nab

Nab Companion

May 10, 2017

Great advice. I actually have been using that response as my weakness or in a follow up. I also discuss how I am new and don't have a lot of experience. However, I'm willing to learn and am a hard working. Etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure it is really helping. I had an interview at a middle school today and gave two different answers about how if they just take a chance on me, they will see that I'm an amazing teaching and I'm interesting in learning from other teacher's experiences. It was only a fifteen minute interview and they only asked me three questions. I haven't heard back. And, the principal let it slip that I'd receive an email on Friday. . .if I hadn't gotten the job. I think they had picked someone for the job, already.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 10, 2017

Probably not what you want to hear, but part of it is just sticking with it, and hoping that your strong interviews and a bit of situational luck will align! Sounds like it'll happen sooner than later :).

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

May 11, 2017

Substitute teach

10. Nab

Nab Companion

May 11, 2017

I will be substitute teaching this Fall. The last bit of orientation for that is in late July. I will also be doing volunteer work with an adult literacy program this summer, as well as with the Children's Museum.

I don't think substitute teaching will do much, however. They use a system where the principals of each school picks from the list and their teachers pick from that list. That is why a great number of subs here are retired teachers(from the school) or currently college students (who just left the school). I've spoken with a few licensed teachers - who put themselves up for subbing at every school in the district - who only sub about four times a month.

Edit: Question about emails. I emailed a principal (whom I interviewed with yesterday) after our interview. This morning she emailed me back: "It was a pleasure meeting you." Good sign? Bad sign? I've heard nothing from the school board.

Also, I emailed the principal of a Catholic school (whom I interviewed with on the 4th) and she replied a hour later. She said she was still interviewing and would let me know after she finished interviews. Good or bad? I think bad, as she still wouldn't be interviewing if she had a person she really wanted. Seems like she's waiting for the "best of the best" to walk through her door - and she's more than willing to wait a month or two for that person.