Not good at math

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by KLA, Mar 29, 2016.

1. KLA

KLA Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

Hi!
    I am currently studying for the subtest 2 for the third time! Passed the others on the first time. I am scoring pretty good on the science than getting ++ on the math part. Is there anyway to pass this test scoring well on the science and OK on math? I am not strong in math. Feeling so overwhelmed and like this isn't going to work for me

3. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

Hi KLA,

You can do this. . . Stay with it!!

I started out with the Cliffnotes Book with the CD that is included. I hate to admit this but I had to take CSET II several times due to my math anxiety, but I kept at it and worked on it everyday. I added on Barron's Test Prep Book, and I went to the CTC site and worked on the Practice Test. If you can take Practice Tests that will help you. Make sure you know your Geometry Equations for 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional (Circle, Square, Rectangle, etc). Also, at the beginning of the test when it goes through the Tutorial Section, use that as time to write down all the equations down, so you don't have to recall them during the test-- you will have them written down already when you come up to a question that will require you to work it out. Make sure you know the Pythagorean Theorem Equation and know how to work it out.

Again, I don't mean to scare you but I want to tell what helped me and what I went through. . .
    Study everyday if you can so you won't feel so overwhelmed when you come up to your test date.

If you have any other questions, ask. . . . :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2016

Hugs, KLA. Yes, it's possible to pass CSET-MS Subtest II with a mediocre score in math, provided one makes up the points in science. But the world is also full of resources to help with math. You might find that video help works for you. Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org, offers short videos each of which explains a specific math concept and works one or more problems; the videos are articulated, which means they build on each other in a reasonably sensible sequence. If Khan Academy doesn't do it for you, YouTube is full of math-help videos, and the blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com, lists a wide variety of math-help apps and Web sites. You might also want to consider hiring a tutor.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2016

I used the black Cliff Notes SAT prep book. I did all the problems from cover to cover. I really liked the sequencing of the lessons. It was invaluable.