Not getting called

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by maebowler, Apr 8, 2008.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

I hate the ebb and flow of substitute teaching. I don't have any days until the end of the school year and haven't been getting called. I know we just got off spring break for both districts and are moving into testing, but yesterday one of the districts had a lot of people out and I didn't get called. I really want the experience, not the money and it frustrates me that I'm not getting that opportunity. At the beginning of May, I have the opportunity to start my summer job earlier than expected. With not being called, I am not going to feel guilty about telling both district I am done for the school year. I only thing that makes me nervous is if I need to sub next year, will it be held against me? It is only a week earlier than I was planning to stop any ways (my husband and I are going on our honeymoon now that we have the money). What do you think?

3. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 8, 2008

I know the feeling. After SB is a definate slow time. I haven't worked yesterday or today...but keep your spirits up. I got a call for the next 3 days in the same room! It will pick up soon!

btw, I always leave my sub # and name in my note at the end of the day to make it easy for a teacher to request me. I've found it gets me alot of requests!!! just fyi!

I really don't think they'll hold it against you next year. It's the nature of subbing. They understand about starting a more full time job. In my experience they are glad to have me back whenever I come back and I'll get called right away. If you start back strong next year I'm sure you'll be well received.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

I don't like those sub system calling things. The one we switched to is horrible.

They won't care if you stop early, I wouldn't worry about that at all.

:)

Lemon

5. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

sub&mom, I always leave my card with my name and sub number on it, it the district you need a number and my name in the district that doesn't use a number. I haven't received a whole lot of calls from doing that. A lot of the teachers, I notice, have a bunch of cards just like mine.

6. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 8, 2008

I guess that secret is out up there! It's uncommon here. But that may be because we have a high turnover. Subs come and go...but nuts like me stick around for years! LOL!!

I was just thinking that alot of jobs for this week were probably scheduled before SB...so they were already taken. Just a thought.:)

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2008

I wish we could get subs that would do more than read the paper and let the kids get into everything.

8. love_to_teach

love_to_teach Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

What we do here in our district, because our sub system sucks!, we call the school and show interest in subbing there as soon as we are needed. Usually they forget that the system is always down, so if we make the effort to call and leave our number, they remember us and call us instead of going through our system. Or, volunteer when you have free time, that way it shows you care!!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

Are there any other districts nearby?

10. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 9, 2008

I'm to the point that the teachers give me the lesson plans ahead of time for planned absences! I rarely have the "show this movie" day...I love to actually be involved with the class and teach them something.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 9, 2008

I hated the show a movie day back when I subbed. I used to make the middle schoolers take notes on it and leave it for the teacher. It was the only way I could get them to pay attention.

I agree with someone start volunteering so the teachers get to know you and they they will request you!

12. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

Mae, I understand your situation. The sub system here hasn't been filled much with jobs but I know that subs are in the schools working. I don't remember this time after spring break being slow last year.
    I agree with the other replies, show that you are interested in working. I was busy the entire time last week and those jobs came from teachers I had worked with before. One of them requested me three weeks in advance.