Not Getting Answers? Try This!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

Good luck Ms. I!!!! Sometimes the road less traveled gets us to our destination just as easily as the frequently traveled road. So, who is really to say what is right and what is wrong. Right?

2. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

I think we need to remember that every district is different...what may be offensive or bothersome to some may be looked at as passionate by others. Personally, I think sending an e-mail like that is a huge risk, because MOST people probably would be annoyed by it. However, you may get the odd P who likes the persistence/passion for the job the person has. I had a friend who saw an opening in his dream school. He was originally not even contacted for an interview. He showed up to the school every single day for two full weeks talking to the P about why he absolutely wanted to work at this particular school. The P ended up hiring him. Now most people would be highly annoyed- but this P admired his persistence.

Ms I, I hope things work out for you. If they do not contact you for this position, I think you need to see the writing on the wall here. If they are not even giving you an interview now, they aren't going to give you a shot for future years either. They may think you are an excellent sub and don't want to lose you in that position. Since you've been subbing for them for 10 years, they probably think they don't have to worry about you seeking full time employment anywhere else. If this doesn't work out for you, I would not sub for this district anymore and work on making connections elsewhere.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2011

Thanks swansong1, SCTeachInTX & waterfall & I agree w/ you both SCTeachInTX & waterfall . And waterfall, talk about persistence! Very few people will actually do what your friend did!

teacher304, to me, it seemed you were just seeing what others thought of me coming down there that's all. No hard feelings! But NO I wasn't just going to show up! :)

Another thing here guys is, I'm only planning to to be SLPA for the next 1, maybe 2 yrs, so this isn't going to be my lifelong career or anything. I just really, really want a SLPA job because I don't want to sub anymore, I've been doing it for too long, & I've gt to get things rolling here, get my own place, etc.

I know this same district has been short on SLPs for over the last decade. Now I'm in grad school now to become a SLP & this dist will probably be one of the ones I come to when it comes time for applying for an SLP job, so I won't burn any bridges w/ them & be totally fed up w/ them quite yet (even if I don't get the SLPA job).

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2011

Oh? What do you plan to do then, in the future? I would LOVE to go into SLP field, but I have an accent and so I just don't think it would be a good idea. Darn it!

5. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 3, 2011

I think she means she will be an SLP in a few years which there obviously are more openings for since virtually every district has one. So if she doesnt get the SLPA position while upset, she may still count on this district for an SLP position.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2011

Peachy, don't let your accent stop you! :) There's ways on working on eliminating or at least reducing an accent. There's tapes you can buy & probably these days, YouTube videos you can look up. Maybe a community center or commuity college, etc. offer classes or can refer you to the right place.

Right teacher304!

My plans are: :)

Next 1-2 yrs, be a SLPA
    After that, be a SLP
    Sometime after that, maybe slowly work on PhD

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2011

Ah okay, sorry, I misunderstood! I was thinking, wow, she's doing a lot of work to get her masters and yet, this isn't a long term goal of hers. Makes sense now.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2011

So, today's the day all the SLPs are due back to work. I've got 3 "spies" so far who will try to help me find out what's going on w/ the hiring of the SLPAs. :)

On a different note, I have my 1st interview next wk w/ a different place I found out about just today! The drive is 40-45 min to the workplace :mellow: & to the interview, I have to drive an hour. :mad:

9. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 3, 2011

Any word from the "spies' Ms. I?

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 3, 2011

...What happened?

11. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 3, 2011

Hi Ms. I, while your original letter may have seemed a bit pushy, I see that it was only because you have had some sort of relationship with the people you've contacted already.

I however do not agree with playing the waiting game. My first time out applying 5 years ago I played the waiting game and got two interviews. One of which hired me. I ended up getting laid off like SO MANY other teachers in Southern California. Knowing that I now had even MORE competition (better? more experienced teachers?), I decided to be more aggressive. Last year I got 5 interviews and 3 job offers.

When I say aggressive, I don't mean to leave all professionalism behind. Here was my process:

The day after the application closing date, I'd call HR and say "Hi! My name is HALFPINT330 and I'm calling to inquire about the status of my application for X job". Usually the response would be "We had so many applicants, we haven't yet gone through the applications, we'll contact you if you will be interviewed," and I'd simply politely say "Ok! Thank you so much for your time!" That evening or the next morning I'd email the exact person I spoke with in HR (you can usually look up their address on the district website) and the email would read "Dear Ms.X, Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me the other day about the status of my application for X job. I am most enthusiastic about the opportunity this position has to offer. Should you need any additional information or have any questions regarding my application materials, please do not hesitate to contact me. Sincerely, NAME PHONE# EMAIL"

I tried to be as short and to the point as possible while at the same time I said my name as much as possible (my email address is my name). While they might not remember any part of the conversation, if they came across my name while sifting through applications then that would trigger something.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2011

I know I did something different that I've never done before, just purely out of desperateness. I received an email stating that because they received so many applications, they were only able to pick so many people. Understandable. Each job probably receives hundreds of applications. So, I emailed the HR person back and said something to the tune of, "Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my application." I then quickly stated that I hope they consider me in the future and mentioned some things that I would bring to the school. I then said thank you and my name.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2011

Our new SLP is from Australia. She has an accent! Don't let your accent discourage you.

14. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

LOVE THIS!!!

15. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 8, 2011

Any updates Ms. I? Didn't you say school started today?

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

We are pulling for you Ms. I... any news yet?

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

teacher304 & SCTeachInTX, awww thanks for asking. :) I was just told a few minutes ago that they paperscreend today! Today was the 1st day of school. Speech kids start being seen the 2nd or even 3rd wk of school.

I'll keep you posted!

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

Sounds great! We care.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

Thank you!

Ahhhh, this waiting's killing me! I was told by someone on the inside that paper screeing started Monday. Don't know if it STARTED or was ALL DONE on Mon. I still haven't heard anything, but I have no idea how many applicants there are.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

A Small Bit of News

Well, it looks like I'll continue subbing until they figure out what to do. I'm waiting to be told what days I'll be at what schools & I'll probably start Mon., 8/15. Eh! :mellow: At least I can say that I'm not available on a day here & there, so I can go on more interviews w/ other places.

Now, I am supposed to be going on this interview tomorrow at this charter school, so I think I should still see what it's all about.

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2011

You know... I hope this charter school is just what you are looking for. I know budgets and other things are up in the air and there are so many things that school districts have to consider. But the wait, for teachers and others is so hard. Chin up! SOMETHING will turn up!

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2011

We're in a position where our numbers are lower than expected, so we may lose some of our newly hired teachers, or teachers who have been there longer but aren't a high-needs certification. It's scary out there with the budget.

23. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

How did the interview go today?

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2011

SCTeachInTX & PCdiva, thanks for asking. I wasn't too thrilled about this charter school interview. So, I went. The drive to the interview was a good hr, but where I'd work is about 30 min, but I'd have to attend mtgs at least 6x/yr (probably more) at the location that's an hr. :mad: Also, when they saw the education I had, they offered for a 2nd time 1/2 RSP teacher & 1/2 SLPA, which I declined for the 2nd time. When I 1st found out about the job, it said full-time, full benefits, but they'll only have 2 days/wk of work for me. I told them I can't do it unless it's 5 days/wk.

They just called & I didn't get it. I'm not crying about it.

BTW, one of the directors at my 1st choice dist wants to meet w/ me tomorrow 8am!

Also, today, I've been on the phone w/ a 3rd dist & so far, they've got the best thing. They want to hire me as a sub SLP to fill in for this SLP on materinity leave rom 8/24 - Oct & I'll get the regular pay of $217/day + mileage. In the meantime, they want me to apply for a waiver, which enables me to have a full SLP (not SLPA) job & get the full salary while waiting to get into grad school or while in grad school, which I began! The drive of the school here is 30 min away, which is good.

Boy! Busy day today!

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2011

Here's hoping that you get the "just right job for you"!

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

Sounds like things are looking up! The SLP job would be even better than the SLPA job. Mo money, benefits and they will work around your schedule.

27. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

Nice! Good Luck!

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2011

Thanks a lot guys! And when I got home for a 2nd time today, there was an email from dist #4 already stating a date/time to be there for an interview. That one's on 8/24. I'm glad it's not next wk. That way, I'll be able to find out about these other positions 1st.

Woah, typo! I meant to type $217/day + mileage!

29. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Wow you must be doing something right Ms. I---so much interest!

Good luck

30. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Good luck, Ms. I! I'm happy you have lots of options :)

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2011

teacher304 & GAteacher87, thank you! :)

Today, I starting subbing again w/ dist #1, but when I asked, they said the hiring of the SLPAs will still happen in hopefully less than a month from now. All I can do is hope & pray I get it.

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2011

When will you hear something back from your interviews?

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2011

Well, so far I've been on 1 which I posted how that went in post #64. I have 2 interviews that I'm set for, unless I cancel them. One's 8/24 & the other already wants to hire me (w/o even meeting me yet) as the sub SLP from 8/24 - Oct & in the meantime, apply for the waiver where I could potentially be an SLP while in school (getting full salary & all). The eventual date to meet for that one would b sometime dudring the next 2 wks.

So far, I think I may stay loyal to my dist I've been subbing for...if they hire me, plus the drive is a lot closer.