Not Getting Answers? Try This!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Did the district you applied for/interviewed w/ 2 wks ago seem to fall off the face of the earth? If so, try contacting someone using some compelling words. It's worth a shot!

My situation: 3 wks after the app deadline & w/ school starting in 1 wk, I still never heard a thing about scheduling an interview even after emailing 2 of the most high-up people in the dept I possibly could. So, as one last resort, I emailed the personnel secretary (who I had called twice before, but never gave my name so she never knew who she talked to).

1st thing this morning, I sent this exact email to her & got a reply in 30 min (stating there's a screening hold). It may not be the news I want to hear, but at least I can breathe a little sigh of relief & know what's going on. I knew I had to use stronger wording than just the ho-hum, "I applied back on (date) & want to know what's happening."

Try this, you may get some results: :)

Greetings Ms. A,

I'm getting really, really worried that I haven't been contacted for an interview (as far as I know) for one of the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant positions/Pupil Personnel Services (#45/87-89) with school starting next Monday! There's absolutely no reason for me not to be contacted. I'm sure you can understand my concern. This is a plea to please, please let me know If I'm on the list to be called. If you can't find out anything today, please let me know ANYTHING you can find out as the week progresses. Please! My phone number and emails are below.

Thank you very much for your compassion and have a nice day! :)

Now, I don't care if it looks like begging, I just wanted some answers after waiting for so long on pins & needles...not fun. :mellow:

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

Ms. I,

:)I so am glad you got an answer back, and I am glad that the outcome was positive. But I can assure you that if you had sent that email to my previous or current district, they would have crossed you off their list. :eek:

I would highly recommend just waiting things out rather than sending an email like above. Now, I understand that your situation IS different. You have built relationships within this district and know persons within the district. You may even personally know this secretary and feel comfortable enough to do this. And that is fine and your call. :angel:

But for others that are just starting out, you must sometimes just wait the wait :unsure: and then, have the surprise of an interview one day before school begins. I just would not want to take the chance of pestering the wrong person. That's me.

:hugs: I wish YOU all the luck and I hope that when you get this interview that you WOW them with your knowledge and your experiences from substituting in this position. I KNOW that you will.;)

Just my :2cents:.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, my principal would move your resume to the back of the file after that e-mail. Most of the secretaries in our district would, as well. They are told to screen out anyone who writes in an unprofessional way, and I was always taught that using all capitals, and underlining words for emphasis (while more acceptable in casual use on message boards, and important in textbooks) was not considered professional in correspondence and to avoid it if at all possible.

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 2, 2011

OMG-- I could never do that!

It's a risk, even if you know the staff. YMMV!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Really? I didn't think that email was that bad, besides, I assume they were probably getting flooded w/ calls & emails from numerous applicants since no one's probably heard a darn thing & school's starting on Mon. The dist sec probably figured that she'd BETTER tell all these people what's been happening.

I've never met the personnel sec in my life & I don't think she knows that I have a good rep amongst the speech people, etc., so if you think I took a risk sending that email, OK. I don't think I did. In my opinion, the wording seemed more like I'm "begging & worried sick" about if I'm going to have a job. My motive was to have her/them feel like they've left me hanging, I'm very worried, etc.

(Actually, when I asked my mom if the sec would know who I am, since my mom used to work for the dist & knows the sec, my mom said the sec would know who I was by looking at my last name in my email. I didn't know that at the time I sent the email, so I guess it worked in my favor.)

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

:yeahthat:

9. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I think you got a quick response because the secretary had a heart and felt bad after reading that e-mail. I think she said "screening hold" as a way to let you down easy and make sure you did not continue to e-mail/call. Who knows, maybe it worked, let us know if you get a call for an interview after the holding screen.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

I'm glad that you got some results, but like others I'd advise job-seekers to avoid sending emails like this.

I think your email comes across as critical, especially the part about there being "absolutely no reason to not be contacted". Districts are very busy at this time of year. There are actually plenty of reasons that a district might not have contacted you yet. I think that the word choice you used seems rude and off-putting. It made me cringe a little when I read it and it wasn't even directed towards me.

Good luck to you in your job search.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

??

Even though the wait is excruciating, you will never know the inner workings of a district.

A district isn't going to leave themselves in a lurch ... they'll get to it when they get to it. Does that suck for all of the people waiting for a call? Yep. But, ...

If you feel like your email helped you, I'm glad. But, I'd be more than hesitant to send an unprofessional email to anyone.

Good luck to you! :)

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

Agree.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

Agreed. Made me cringe too. Districts definitely have a lot going on and there may be many valid reasons you hadn't been contacted. I'll be interested to see what happens from here with this district.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

I think everyone respects where you are coming from. Everyone has been there and has definitely felt this pressure. I just would not think that a new teacher without any connections, should try something like this. But, that, too is their decision.

I am also wondering... Did the secretary say/write if you were on the interview or screening list?

15. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

I don't think that email was very professional at all. I would not suggest anyone (especially a new candidate to the district) to do that. I think that would get your file moved to the back of the stack...

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

Ditto everyone else.That email would make me question your professionalism and your ability to be a team player.
    If it works for you, great! Good luck!!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks for the luck. I'll keep you all posted. Again, I really didn't think the email was bad. Hey, if I don't get the job, I don't get it, but I'd really want to talk w/ the top director as to the reason why.

SCTeachInTX, no, the sec didn't say that I'm on the interview list.

Now, one of the SLPs who I've been assisting for the last 3 yrs is the one who got the ball rolling for the district to hire SLPAs. My mom & I both think I should call her TODAY to see if she knows anything. I'll let her do the talking. I'll just tell her that I applied & have heard nothing when I emailed the 2 directors. (I won't mention what the sec said.)

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

Is it common in your area for candidates who aren't selected for an interview to be told why? I know that it isn't common here; most job postings (in any area) contain the phrase, "Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified."

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

No it's not common, but w/ this particular district, if I don't get the job, I'd really like to know why since I've already been subbing for them for over a decade & have built a good rep amongst the SLP people. I'm one of their very few SLP subs & they call me all the time when they need someone. I've done numerous long-term jobs throughout the yrs, even when the school doesn't currently have an SLP.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 2, 2011

I would go ahead and phone her. I most likely would have phoned her first before writing the letters to the secretary and the directors.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

I agree with the rest of the posters here. I would hesitate before sending something like that as it might hurt someone's chances. If it worked for you, great though. Let us know if you phone them and what happens.

22. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 2, 2011

I really cannot even believe you posted that email here. You are WAY too pushy. It's one thing to be confident, but it's a completely other thing when you're basically saying there is something wrong with them for not calling you for an interview. Reality check needed.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

Ms. I, have you been trying to get a job in this district while you've been subbing for them? It seems like after having subbed for 10 years and not being hired after making all of the connections and whatnot, that it seems like you may have been pigeonholed as a sub. You may want to start looking elsewhere, in my humble opinion.

24. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

I think the calling multiple people and now emailing the secretary is very pushy and borderline harassment.

This statement is very unprofessional and inappropriate.

I would just not call, email, or even look at an employee again about this position. If they call- great. However, I could cut my loses and look seriously at another job or get my head back in the subbing game.

I would look at it like these attempts to get the job just shot me in the foot and it's not going to happen.

25. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

:thumb:

26. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

Agreed. I would put that resume at the back of my list for sure.

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

Ms. I - Did you call your friend? What did she have to say? We do care. Live and learn and this may work out for you yet. We will see.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Proud2BATeacher, the reason I didn't phone the one SLP until now is because I knew she probably wouldn't know any more info than I, so I wanted to see what the directors had to say 1st (if anything).

SCTeachInTX, yes, I called her. Turns out all the SLPs are due back to work tomorrow. She knew nothing about the SLPA positions (as I figured).

She actually suggested I just show up at the dist office tomorrow to talk to the director. I'm not going to do that because I'm not going to just show up & since tomorrow's everyone's 1st day back for prep, it's going to be hectic enough. But I told the SLP that if she can find out anything to please give me a call which she said she will. There's a 2nd SLP I think I'll call at the end of the day tomorrow to see if she heard anything.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

This is the 1st time in all the yrs I've been subbing there that I've applied for a permanent position w/ them. So I don't believe I'm stuck being a sub w/ them forever.

But, I've always believed that what's meant to be will be, so if I don't end up getting it, so be it (& I don't believe that email ruined it for me). :)

30. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I wanted to get everyone's opinions on Ms. I showing up at the school and asking to meet with the director. He will be there because its the day of training and she will get the answer she needs (maybe good news).

On the other hand they may think of it as pushy. What's your take?

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, well I PM'd it to czacza (another poster here) who originally wanted to know what I said that was so compelling. Then, she suggested I post it to maybe help others, so I decided to go ahead.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

Hmmm, well, to me, the email that you sent screams more desperate than pushy. So, let's see what comes out of it.

33. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I definitely would not have sent out that email. The line "there's absolutely no reason for me not to be contacted" is the one that stuck out to me, too, since it seems like you're reprimanding her/the district and telling them how to do their jobs. It just sounds really entitled. Hopefully she did not take it that way and you're still on their list for interviews. I know you don't see it as inappropriate, but I think it's super important to not only read it from your perspective, but also put yourself in the shoes of the person receiving the email and think about how they might take it.

Good luck, though. Hopefully it didn't hurt your chances!

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks guys. :) That line I said about "there's absolutely no reason for me not to be contacted" is a bit strong. If I could redo it now, I'd omit that sentence, but oh well, too late now!

I hope everyone's still doing good w/ their job searches!

35. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

I don't think this is the place to pass judgement on another member of the forum. She made a decision that she felt was best for her circumstances. We don't live in her shoes and I won't be "throwing stones at glass houses."

36. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

That's not what the post you quoted was asking, I believe. I'm pretty sure that poster was asking for legitimate opinions about Ms.I's situation to help her. I didn't get any indication that she was passing judgement.

37. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I was not passing judgement just asking for opinions on something that may help that I never thought of.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

The decision to email the school was your decision alone. I do think that emails to the right people can get results, and it seems that you at least got some answers to some of your questions.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2011

I never said otherwise. The other poster asked why I decided to post the email on THIS board & I said why.

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

I understand. As stated, I do think that emails can be effective. I'm glad for you that you now know more about the situation and that you should have more definitive answers this week.:)

41. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

I don't think I would do that. I think she has already contacted the secretary and now it is time to play the wait game. She has friends on the "inside" that can find out any info that she needs. So, it would look better if they asked the question out of curiosity rather than her go there on a very busy day.