Not getting along...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newto3rd, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Oct 24, 2009

LONG - VENTING .... HELP!

Ok, a coworker and I disagreed about a topic at school. The topic was whether or not to complete a review unit. My students do not need the review and I see no point in holding them back from the skills that are coming up in the curriculum. There are 6 teachers that teach my grade. We like to stay on the same path as much as possible. 2 of us say no review, 1 says yes to review, and 3 say "whatever, I don't care".

So we all tried to discuss it earlier this week and I gave my argument and explained - I must admit that it was with lots of passion because I truly CARE about my kids and their learning. My coworker got mad and said "Do whatever!!" and stormed out. She then went to the principal (her BFF for years) and told that we all couldn't get along and that we weren't listening to her. And that I was yelling at her. (not so in my opinion and I don't care enough to ask another teacher if I yelled or not - and by the way I did apologize to my coworker if I did yell - explained it was only in passion, not directed at her. She NEVER said "it's ok" or "apology accepted" basically rejected it.)

So P comes down and gets smarty/snippish with 3 of the other teachers about the situation. (of course, I was not there for that) P said that we need to agree to do it or not. And if we can't then she'll make a decision for us. Like we're 2 year olds!!! So of course her BFF (coworker) now says "Tell me what to do, I don't care." Like she's some sort of victim!! The 3 "neutral" parties STILL won't say weather they think the review is beneficial or not - UHHH!!

So, we have no conclusion. And now I know that the P looks down on me because I miffed her BFF. But that was not my intent and I'm seriously looking out for my students. How am I supposed to interact with my P and this coworker now? This argument has now turned into "us vs. them". And she's gonna be a witch to me all year. I can already see it! Should I let her cool for a bit? Kill her with kindness? Give in? (DON'T want to because it's for the benefit of the students to move to new material!!!!) Now I KNOW my P will have an attitude about me which p's me off! Should I talk to P? Close my door and teach and forget about it? (this is my normal response)....

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 24, 2009

I understand wanting to be on the same page but. . .if a class needs to review, then they need the review. If a class doesn't they don't and should move forward.

You all have to cover the same curriculum, but how you do it or maybe even when doesn't need to be exactly the same.

Your classes are different, your teaching styles are different.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 24, 2009

To me it's just ridiculous to be forced to be on the same page as other teachers, some more of let's dumb all the smart kids down. I admire you for sticking up for your kids, and you have to admire the other teacher for sticking up for her kids too.

Your P is probably going to forget about this is a week, she'll have plenty of other new problems to worry about, your colleague will use a lot of time and energy sulking if that's her heart's desire, and your kids will move on and learn twice as much as the other kids.

Go to school every morning with a victorious smile for everyone and a "Good morning".

Advocate for your kids.

5. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Oct 24, 2009

Thanks y'all!! I feel better about it today! And I reallllly appreciate your advice. I will follow it!

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Oct 24, 2009

Keep your focus. It's all about the kids.

Do what is in their (your students) best interest and the _ _ _ _ with what everyone else thinks.
    You'll sleep better at night.

Teacherman:|

7. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Oct 24, 2009

The school I ST at required that all 13 of their grade 2 teachers be on the same "unit." One way they worked out the need for review/moving on issue was to dedicate specific weeks for review. If you felt that your students needed it, then you would collaborate with some others or could review things specific to your class' needs. If your class was ready to move on, you supplemented a weaker area in the curriculum that week. For instance, if the text did not do fairy tales justice, then you could do your own fairy tale unit in addition during that week.

I'm sure this wouldn't work out for everyone and you're not technically on the "same page" during that week but it's worth a try.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

:yeahthat:

9. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

This is probably a good time to look at assessment data. Could you for a week group kids who need review, and those who don't? if your data reveals that none of your students need review move on, if you do have some students who need it and this an important learning objective ask the teacher if she could help and you could take any of her kids that are ready to move on. Most Ps like instruction to match data so I bet your P would let you do different things if you have the data to back it up.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 25, 2009

I say let it go and just come up with some really cool, really fun review activities that your kids will enjoy. Review never hurts.

11. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

I agree that it is unrealistic to expect all the kids in your grade level to always "stay on the same path". I may be in the minority here, but I sympathize with your coworker who WANTS to review with her class. I imagine she feels just as passionately as you about wanting to help her kids who she feels need to review. Perhaps your principal also saw things from your coworkers point of view.

I think the issue here is NOT your upset coworker, but the fact that your grade level always needs to do the same thing. It's unrealistic (kinda like NCLB!) Good luck with this touchy problem.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 25, 2009

Could you review, and enrich? Review the skills, and then also present them in other ways or use them as a starting point for enrichment? Or review, then include test prep activities? Projects? Something so that you are reviewing the skills, but also building on them since they have already mastered them.

13. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Oct 27, 2009

Oh and I did for get to mention that if we review next week, that will put the next Unit review AFTER Christmas...!!! Does that make sense? No! So I'm not reviewing this time and I'm taking the last week before break to review. Then when we come back from Christmas I won't have to try to reteach 5 weeks worth of material so that may actually master the material. That's the plan until I hear otherwise from my P anyway...I didn't ask! :)