Not funny...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Nov 13, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009

My BF and his coworkers are constantly playing practical jokes on each other. Usually it is harmless but irritating stuff like putting soap in the one guy's relaxation fountain, backing into each other's cubes and farting, or switching drawers in a desk or filing cabinet.

But tonight my BF forgot something at work so we went in to his office on our way out to dinner. After he grabbed what he needed, he pulled a pair of women's panties from his hoodie pocket and stuffed them into a mug on another guy's desk. I was like, what was that? And he said, "oh, so and so put them in my pocket today. I was wondering what he was doing in my office for so long earlier." I laughed at first, but then I started to think about it some more. What if DBF never realized he put them in there and I found them?? I can't even IMAGINE how I would react to that... It actually made me pretty mad - in my opinion a practical joke is NOT something that could split up someone's relationship. I am just glad I don't have to find out what would have happened if I had found them in other circumstances.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009

you're right; it's not funny; can you imagine if that guy's significant other found them first? or perhaps his boss or whomever.
    I think your bf and his friend are taking it too far. One day, someone's going to get mad. :(

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, that's what I mean - I was the SO! What if I HAD found them first??

As far as I know, the only things BF does is mess with his fountain and move stuff around on desks. That's what I mean - I think the guy just took the joke playing to a whole different level.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009

Men!?!?! I don't get what they find as funny.

Today there were lay-offs at my son's work and the owner's son who is "running" the company brought 2 checks for those who had been laid off. He handed them to the supervisor to do the dirty work of telling the employees and he noticed there was a second check for him. He said, "you have to be kidding, I am being laid off?" The spoiled brat said "yes, no, yes...." and then the supervisor noticed the check was a photocopy of his other check. The idiot was playing a practical joke on him! He has 4 kids and had to tell 4 people they lost their jobs and the idiot son thought his joke was funny!?!?!?!? One of my sons survived the cuts for now, the other was laid off.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009

I know my husband would flip out if someone put a stranger's panties anywhere in his belongings - and he used to be a wild frat boy. And, I can't imagine how heartbroken I would be if I innocently found panties in my husband's pocket. It would not be funny at all.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2009

Ugh. :rolleyes:

I will never forget that my brother, who made some pretty extreme prank calls before caller ID, once called a random number and told the woman who answered that her husband was having an affair with his, "my brother's", wife. Something like that anyway. He provided a couple of very generic details, but apparently it was enough to send the woman into a fit of crying. I was so mad at him! I was probably twelve or so and realized how absolutely horrible it was. He really is a good guy...but oh the stupid things he did.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009

I remember those days too, JustMe.
    we used to make prank calls and tell the person on the other line that they had won a contest. :blush: They were pretty excited too.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 13, 2009

That is horrible about the panties and the crank call. Though I do have to admit my roommate and I in college used to crank call other people on campus all the time.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 14, 2009

I agree that this is taking it too far. Why are some men so immature?!

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2009

OK I'll brave the slings arrows.....

First it is funny (the panties)

But my real questions Are:
    ONE, Do you not trust your man (significant other)? There must be a logical reason for them to be there. Allow him a chance to explain what it is. (questioning his honesty)

TWO, If he was a "Cheater" do you think he is dumb enough to leave such evidence for you to find? (questioning his intelligence)

Lets put this in a different light
    You are wearing a nice skirt with pockets,
    As you walk around your class room after the first class has left, you see a condom pack that some student has left (probably a male student) on the floor, the next class is entering, You pick it up and quickly and place it in your pocket so the kids will not see it and "cause a scene." You go through the whole day with, a fire drill, Duty, Parent teacher conference, Meeting after school, kids soccer game, etc., distractions galore. You head home you arrive home tired you slip out of your clothes, you head down to the kitchen to start Dinner your Husband arrives home and seeing how tired you are decides to help you by doing the laundry (he always does house work) , as he empties the pockets of the dirty clothes he finds the condom pack. AND since he has had a vasectomy you don't use them..........
    I can't even IMAGINE how he would react to that. ​
    :2cents:

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2009

Dave, I'm sure you had some excellent points BUT, I can't get past the "your husband arrives home and seeing how tired you are decides to help you by doing the laundry (he always does house work). :rofl:
    In my dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:
    Oh, and given the fact I teach Kindergarten, I don't think your story of the condom in my pocket would ever fly.:p

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2009

AND I was trying so hard not to leave an opening for some one to say something like that :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl:

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2009

I dunno, I totally trust my BF. But I am trying to imagine the scenario...

I put my hand in his pocket like I ALWAYS do, and there is something in there. I pull them out and they are not mine. If BF hadn't found them first, he wouldn't have had a ready explanation, so he would have faltered, which I think would have made me think he looked even guiltier. Even if we did work it out, there would have been some tension created and he would think I didn't trust him... But what are you supposed to think in that situation?

Ug, anyway, I am just glad I found out the way I did. I think BF thought it was funny at first but after I kind of gave him the "What if I found them first" scenario, I don't think he is as amused anymore, either.

15. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 15, 2009

Guys at my SOs work haven't done anything like that - but they do make goofy guy jokes all the time - and I agree with Dave - if I found something like that my first instinct would NOT be that he cheated. I'd probably phone one of the guys at work and ask for an explanation if I was worried but my first assumption would be that it was a joke. Teaching is such a PC culture. My SO works in a shop. It is completely different and most of the time I think he's better off, less stressed and laughs a lot more.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 15, 2009

On the other hand (or in the other pocket, as the case may be), one of the very first things you said is that prank behavior was common and normal in this office. In that light, after the initial shock, you'd probably still be mad at the coworker, but not at your SO.

Maybe it's just because at the college I worked for in florida, we did the prank thing all the time. Some of the pranks could get pretty wild, so I might be a little desensitized to this sort of thing.