NOT funny

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 26, 2014

Have you all seen this really obnoxious joke floating around on facebook?

Basically the person will post something like, "I just found out I've been cheated on the past 5 months" as a status update and when people respond voicing their concern or like the status, the original poster doesn't say anything.

Instead they wait a day or two, then either text or private message the following to the people who replied to their status:

"Ha ha ha! Sorry, but you took the bait!!! I did too obviously. It's a game and you have just become another victim as I have. You never should have commented or liked my status. You fell into a trap! This is a game!

The person who likes or comments on my status must choose on of the following phrases and put it in their Facebook profile within 24 hours...
    1. Someone offered me a job as a prostitute but I'm hesitant
    2. I think I am in love with someone, but what should I do?
    3. I've decided to stop wearing underwear
    4. I still love my ex...:(
    5. I really don't know how to tell everyone, but I'm fed up with hiding it, I'm gay!
    6. So my husband got a new job and we're moving to China next week
    7. I just found out I've been cheated on for the last 5 months
    8. Guess it's too good to be true...I'm pregnant!
    9. A mouse just ran across my feet.

Note: You can only use these sentences. No explanations or comments. When someone comments or likes your status, send them this message. SEND only through inbox. You must do it and please, , keep the secret. YOUR TURN!"

:eek:

I was really annoyed because I had never seen this stupid "joke" before, so when one of my friends posted "I still love my ex :(" I got really worried and of course responded to the status and called her (she didn't answer the phone) because her ex is such a bad guy and I know in the past she's gone back to him at least twice and both times, she ended up hurt.

It wasn't just me either. Tons of other people were coming out of the wind works and posting about their own experiences, kind words, advice, support, etc because they too were worried about her.

When I got the text about it being a joke, I didn't respond because I had nothing nice to say to her. It goes without saying that I won't be posting any of that statuses and I feel like if you just HAVE to post something, don't post something that hits a nerve with people only to go "Ha ha, just kidding!". :mad:

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 26, 2014

Hahahaha, that's pretty funny...sorry.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 26, 2014

I haven't seen this. Who ever started it is awful, but whoever continues it is just as awful. I see you won't go along with it.

I don't understand the idea that you have to change your status because you believed the lie. Or what, your creepy friend that didn't have the guts to say no will not be friends with you? I don't understand why anyone thinks they MUST comply.

It does show how insanely ignorant people are to the internet being a permanent place for information and one that allows many people to see not so bright or nice sides of them.

This joke screams the one that actually changes a status it is an idiot.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 26, 2014

Explain what is humorous about it. I don't see the funny part.

Let see, I post "I'm dying of cancer." Everybody responds. Then I laugh, "Ha ha, jokes on you, I'm not." Ooo, that's funny people actually believe what I have to say.

I really am missing the funny part.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 26, 2014

It's really not funny at all!

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 26, 2014

:thumb: Me too.
    :yeahthat: I especially don't like #5 (about not wanting to keep it a secret anymore that you're gay. coming out of the closet is NOT funny) or #7 (the one where you just found out you've been cheated on for 5 months) .

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2014

It's just...dumb.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 26, 2014

I've seen those before where all of the things were like the one about the mouse running across your foot, and none of them were deeply personal. In that case, I still think it's stupid, but at least it's not potentially harmful.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 26, 2014

I think it could be funny if all of them were silly but once you start scaring your friends and relatives with cryptic posts it becomes not funny at all. I think most of the people I know would be upset if I said something serious like that and then said I was just joking.

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 26, 2014

I haven't seen this yet, but I agree with the others...not funny.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2014

Tacky.

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 26, 2014

That's part of why I didn't like being around two of my mom's sisters. They got their kicks out of scaring people and worrying them. One of them is dead now and the other is 80, but if FB had been around in their younger days, I promise they'd had loved pulling stupid crap like that.
    You hit the nail on the head. If people wanna post dumb/silly stuff, by all means, knock yourself out! but when it's so personal and especially rings like it could be true (again my friend has a terrible ex who she has told me before she still has feelings for even though he keeps hurting her) it stops being all in good fun.

14. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 26, 2014

I'm really missing the cancer part.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 26, 2014

That's ok. I know the others understood. :)

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 26, 2014

My sister did this... She only used the mouse one, but there was no way I was going to participate. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 26, 2014

I only saw one or two of my friends post it and I thought it was silly, didn't get the point. They posted things like "I quit my job', so I wasn't annoyed. If they would have posted something like dying, being sick, etc, I wouldn't have been pretty mad.

NOT funny at all. I don't see the point. Not productive in any way (meaning people share news, happy moments, thoughts, opinions, even heartbreaks, and others come together in offering advice, sympathy, etc. All that has meaning.). This one is just dumb.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2014

I worry about the deterioration of our society & this "sick joke" is a perfect example of idiotic nonsense. And no, I'm not on FB hardly, thank God to know about this joke.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2014

I've fallen victim to this on Facebook. If I decide to participate, I choose the mouse sentence or another one like it.

20. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 26, 2014

Agreed!

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2014

I haven't seen this on facebook. Just another example of how our society has changed (and not for the better).

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2014

I have not seen this nor do I see the humor in this at all. I would be really upset. Anyway, who has time for that??? Seems pretty immature, if you ask me.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2014

I understood perfectly.

Yeah, not funny. I´m not sure why anyone would participate in those rediculous ¨jokes.¨ Also, there are many people in the world actually suffering those things in their real life, so it´s almost making light of others´ situations, in a way. Disrespectful and meaningless, if you ask me.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 26, 2014

Haven't seen this one yet and I'm on fbook all the time.

I thought the giraffe one was funny (change your profile picture).

25. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 26, 2014

I haven't seen this. I honestly can't see anyone on my friend list doing this. If they would, I've probably already unsubscribed from their updates.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 26, 2014

That explains why that seventy year old grandma posted she had been approached about being a prostitute.

27. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Jan 26, 2014

:spitwater:

28. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 26, 2014

That's a good idea. I believe there's an option to hide people's status updates from your feed. I may do that or just ignore whenever/whatever she posts. If it's truly important i'll either hear it from another friend or she can call me.

29. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 26, 2014

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. You can "unfollow" or "unsubscribe" from their posts. You're still friends, but their stuff doesn't show up on your news feed. I have a lot of old acquaintances that I've unfollowed for various reasons. If I really want to see what someone is up to, I can go to their profile. This is why I never have reason to complain about what others post. My news feed is carefully curated. ;)

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2014

Post it, but hide it from everyone except the person who sent you the first one.

Nobody will comment, but they won't know why.

End of chain.

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 26, 2014

Yeah, my cousin decided to make up his own, and announced he was having another stroke. As he's permanently disabled from the strokes he had last year, I immediately called his wife but got her voice mail. He then posted, "haha this is a joke i'm fine". Meanwhile, his whole family wanted to kill him.

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 26, 2014

Sick, sick, sick.

33. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 26, 2014

Facebook definitely brings out... the weirdness in a lot of people. Some funny, some not. I never get "outraged" by things I see on FB. I just don't have the energy or the time.

I'm mostly on Pinterest nowadays anyway.

34. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 26, 2014

I just find it kind of sad that people want to be central in something that lacks good sense and good taste. I find it akin to yelling "fire!" in a crowded building.

35. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 27, 2014

I haven't seen that particular one, but I have others. Usually if I see it more then once I know it's a joke and don't respond.

36. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2014

I saw someone post the prostitute status a few days ago, but I didn't comment. I don't post much on Facebook. If a really good friend posted one of those, I would probably text or call before responding on Facebook. And I definitely wouldn't post it myself!

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 27, 2014

I made the mistake of falling for one of these. I shot back a note explaining why I DO NOT play these games.