Not Fitting In

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by StudentTeach10, Nov 2, 2010.

1. StudentTeach10

StudentTeach10 New Member

Nov 2, 2010

I love teaching and I am loving student teaching, but I feel like I don't fit in with the school staff. I feel like I am constantly being judged, watched, and assessed. I have gone above and beyond what a normal student teacher does, but I still feel like I don't fit in. I have never felt this way. :( maybe it is because I am temporary or too sensitive? Please help.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 2, 2010

You probably are being judged, watched and assessed ... that is part of student teaching.

Fitting in isn't necessarily important during student teaching, unless you are hoping to end up working in the school.

Keep going above and beyond, that way the judgments you feel are happening will all be positive.

Learn, learn, learn during student teaching. Watch others that do their job well and absorb their ideas.

4. bunches3614

bunches3614 Rookie

Nov 3, 2010

I know the feeling...

I love the kids, I love teaching, I don't love my co-op teacher. I am supposed to be doing my solo weeks right now, and will be done next week. I have not been in the classroom alone for more than 1/2 hour yet. I can do all the extra stuff, take over her yard duty, teach PE while she gets her stuff done, but can't be trusted to teach the class. I have had so many teachers tell me how great that I am. My university supervisor rates me at the highest level. I feel like she is being overly critical and too judgmental. I haven't learned what kind of teacher that I want to be, but I do know what kind of teacher that I don't want to be. Hang in there, just do your best and get through it. That is all that we can do.

5. StudentTeach10

StudentTeach10 New Member

Nov 4, 2010

Bunches, I feel the same way. I was lucky to have a wonderful teaching experience, but I feel like when I turn away everyone is talking about me. I know working with almost all women it can be like that, but come on! I am not getting paid for this and I want to make the most of it. I am sorry if I am giving more than100% and doing things above and beyond. Frustrating. I guess I will just take it day by day. It is temporary and will be over soon.

6. bunches3614

bunches3614 Rookie

Nov 4, 2010

That is what I tell myself every day. I am lucky in the fact that other teachers in the school have been very kind to me, and I can talk with them. They actually have a countdown for me, and remind me that I can do it. Do you eat in the teachers lounge at all? I really made the effort from day one to go in there and be friendly. I don't think that they expected in from me because of my co-op teacher, but I wanted to show them that I was willing to be a team with all of them. It really made the difference. However, my sister-in-law teaches at a school where she has very little support or friends. The first few years were hard, but they she just realized that all that mattered was what her principal, students and their parents thought of her. You may have to look at it that way for a while.

7. Jamtight

Jamtight Rookie

Nov 4, 2010

Just keep positive, and it will be ok

8. MrMarblesTI

MrMarblesTI Rookie

Nov 5, 2010

Sometimes you have to redefine success. If the experience isn't going to be what you wanted/hoped it would be, find the little things that make it worthwhile or that you can claim as your own. Otherwise you'll go crazy.

9. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

Are therr other student teachers in your school you can befriend? I lucked out in that I became friendly with the other STs there from my school and one I'm pretty close with. We all take lunch together every day and it's good to have others to vent to. I will say that although some of the teachers are nice, I've noticed the older ones are more friendly. There are also the ones who don't even make eye contact with us in the hallway. I loved my first placement and worked with an older veteran teacher. I now have 2 coop teachers, so now it's 4 eyes not 2 more lol..it's me and them. I just bite the bullet, go in every day, am pleasant to them, teach with confidence and am counting the days till I'm outta there. Durig my first placement we would eat with our grade level teachers, but even though they were nice, they all conversated among themselves and all the STs were left out. Alot of it may just be your paranoid. Most of the time when you teach, and I've had teachers tell me this, they are too busy doing their work and not paying attention to you. As far as fitting in, like othes said, unless you can get a job there, I wouldn't worry about it.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2010

I'm sorry that your feeling this way. I agree with ku_alum in that you are probably being judged and assessed. That's part of student teaching. I was lucky in that I had 2-3 other student teachers in my school at the same time so we would eat lunch together and talk. If there are others, I would definitely befriend them. We always ate in the teachers lounge because that's what our co-op teachers did. Enjoy the rest of your experience!

11. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 2, 2010

I started teaching at a school that was very different from where I grew up. I couldn't pronounce the schools name and didn't have the same background or..well..anything with the majority of the other teachers. Now I love it there. It just took time for people to get to know me and me to understand them. I still don't think I'll ever be voted "most popular" but I'm really happy here now. All things get better with time.

12. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

Keep your head down, work hard and you'll come through it just fine. If there is an opportunity to fit in and feel like one of the staff then by all means take it, but it's most important that you just focus on your teaching craft and maintaining a strong relationship with your school and faculty advisors.