not feeling that usual excitement...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kimrandy1, Jul 28, 2010.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

I went to school today to check on my room, because I have a morning free tomorrow that I can go in and get started (my own kids have a playdate)....and I just wanted to turn around and leave. I usually can't wait to get in there and get to work, get things decorated, organize the centers, start planning the curriculum, but this year, it's just not the same. I haven't asked to see a class list, and I find that I'm not anxious to see one. As I turned into the school neighborhood, I just felt a sense of dread.....:confused:

I hope this passes.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

Hugs! Hope that excitement returns soon...

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I have had years like this. I hope something happens to get you pumped up again.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

that was me last year. This year I feel refreshed and am excited again. It was just a phase!

6. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I feel the same way. I love teaching, but I don't love what I'm teaching right now. I'm also a little bitter about some things and it's making it really hard to be excited about a new year. Hopefully, this feeling passes for both of us in the next few weeks.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

Hugs, Kim. Is there a reason you can pinpoint?

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

Oh I know how you feel. It doesn't mean you don't love your job, but it is hard to give up the freedom of summer. Usually if I feel this way it goes away when school starts...... Just relax a little more until you HAVE to go back.

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

yeah I think we all go through those phases throughout our careers.

10. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 28, 2010

I'm there with you this year. I got a little excited ordering things on VP, but that's about it. I hope it gets better for both of us!

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

I think this comes with the job. there are going to be years where we're more into it. That's human nature. Don't be too hard on yourself. Just remember the good things about being a teacher and why you chose this field. Take a drive somewhere and take a look at the jobs others have for a living. You might begin to appreciate your job again. I'm reminded of how lucky I am to be teaching every time I drive through downtown and see the mobs of people all dressed up in business clothes and heels and trudging to work with the masses. This is my "snap out of it" medicine because I know I would HATE to work in corporate America. I am SOOOOO glad I am a teacher! It could have been so much worse.

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

The same thing is happening to me. I can't get excited and I'm really hoping that it will pass.

13. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I've been struggling with the same feeling this summer and have felt very scared because during 15 years of teaching, it's never happened. I also got a little excited after doing a few Vistaprint orders but I can't even force myself to go to my room. I hate this "phase".

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

Irma, this is year 16 for me. I am wondering if it's just that point in my career....but if it lingers, I am going to have to get out. I am NOT going to be that teacher who is just going through the motions with no joy or excitement. How sad for the kids in a class led by a teacher who feels that way.

I'm wondering if it's because I am really enjoying this summer, and this school year brings a lot of changes in our family (Dh is leaving his job to pursue his master's full time, oldest daughter is going to middle school, my mom's cancer is progressing very quickly, we're hoping to move....)

Kim

15. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I hear you! Normally I have mapped out things, planned and ordered at least 20 things from VP. Not so this year. Oh well. I know it will pass.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 28, 2010

I felt this way last year. I had a very advanced class last year, and I was just not looking forward to it, surprisingly. I just hate the whole unpacking, putting away, organizing phase. Maybe after that, you'll feel better?

17. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I'm feeling the same way. I don't want to start the year with a negative attitude. Last year was not that great and I couldn't wait for it to be over. A part of me is excited, but a bigger part of me is not. I'm hoping it passes soon. I've even delayed a lot of work that I usually have done by now.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 28, 2010

I feel that way this year. I usually spend at least two or three days a week at school during the summer. I have only been there twice...once for a meeting and once to sign a paper. I don't want to deal with my principal. I don't want to deal with the drama. Plus three of my favorite people are moving this year. I am stuck in a room away from everyone else. I just don't want to go back. I only have two weeks left to get in the groove...say a prayer for me.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2010

Wow, those are a lot of obligations and tribulations pressed upon you. I understand the cancer and I pray for you; when my grandmother passed in my second year of teaching, I lost all joy for the remainder of the school year and most knew it. It took a while to find that joy again. Hopefully the feeling will pass after you meet up with the class. What do you teach?

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 29, 2010

I am sorry...I owe you all an apology. I got the first round of tests results back and the blood work shows no cancer. There is a mass, but they are just watching it and we will make a decision in October.

There has been a lot drama at my job this year. I just don't want to be in it. I appreciate the time with my family. I just am in a funk and can't get out of it.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

mrachelle87,

Good news! Give yourself a break; after a health scare it is hard to take on the stress of work.

22. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

All those items are huge issues. I think as teachers we become control freaks and you're dealing with issues you don't have any control over.

I think it's pretty normal not to want to give up a care-free life style of summer. In the summer, I catch myself looking at the clock and if it's 1:35 I'll say, "Oh, it’s journal time". Then I think, "Thank God I'm home right now". This is year 21 for me, and I've only been by my room once this summer. I walked in and walked out. It doesn't make me a bad teacher; I just work efficiently and can be ready to go in a heartbeat.

I don't think you have to be on cloud nine all the time to be a great teacher.