Not feeling it

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by smalltowngal, Dec 15, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2008

Is there anyone else who just can't seem to get into the holiday spirit, or is it just me? Maybe its the fact that I STILL don't have a job for this school year, that subbing has been lacking this semester, that the jobs that are posted and that I've applied for aren't going to be filled until AFTER the break, and that financially, we're struggling. I just don't wanna do Christmas at all: not the opening what little presents we have, not the traveling to other places where we'll be opening presents but not bringing presents because we can't afford it, spending money we don't have on gas getting there. I guess this year I'm just a Scrooge, and I'm normally not like this. :sad:

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Anyone else?

3. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

I feel you! I am also job searching. I haven't had a full time job since September, and I am just out of money. I have a huge family to get gifts for, and even though they understand and really don't care that I don't have the money to spend this year, I still feel upset about it. I am not in the holiday spirit at all. I am trying to look on the bright side of things, but I'm not feeling it either. Maybe I should max out my credit cards and hide out on some tropical island. :cool: Just kidding of course. I am sure things will get better soon.

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 15, 2008

I can definitely related, STG. I'm not sure why but I just don't feel like Christmas is right around the corner. It almost feels like it's still a month or so away.

I'm struggling in the same area as you, for the jobs. I have yet to land a teaching job...so I've just settled for the job I've had for the past 3 years, working at a college. I think I may just wait out this whole job search while I'm there.

The money department isn't much better for me either. My husband and I are trying to pay off bills...not spend extra money on things. But I felt too bad not buying people things, especially since we technically have the money...but it just needs to be going toward other things. So instead we made ourselves a strict budget and I'm happy to say we only went over it by $30. But it is hard right now...I hope things pick up for you! With the new year and all...hopefully things will turn around! :)

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2008

I am usually so into the holidays and for some reason this year I cant get into it either ..Im not even listening to christmas music (which I usually love)

No money to buy christmas presents is really killing me. I hate not being able to buy my family nice gifts.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 15, 2008

I just put our tree up this weekend, and I leave on Sunday for Michigan! I have not felt in the spirit at all lately, but I know that's stress and busy-ness. I'm starting to catch the bug now that we're a bit closer-I'm sure it will really hit next week.

I hear you about gifts. My problem is that we have the money, we just have no idea what to get anyone. I feel paralyzed with indecision. So our tree is empty. I think we'll wake up on Christmas, just look at everyone and say 'go shopping for your selves at the sales!'.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 15, 2008

I recently had the opportunity to help a few people out. I needed to be needed. It was the perfect holiday gift. I actually too one friend thanks for not being too independent because in spite of me. Providing the help, she was actually doing me a favor.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2008

stg, I understand why you feel this way. I wish I was further along in college, heck, since we're wishing, I wish I was already a working speech-language pathologist right NOW!

Christmas is my favorite holiday, so I'd have to really be down in the dumps to not feel the Christmas spirit.

Good luck w/ your continued job hunt.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2008

Same here! I went Christmas shopping yesterday and was just not in the mood. I don't know what is up this year, but I am REALLY not in any Christamns mood. It doesn't help that I've been having a really bad year, starting in Feb. I think I'll feel better when I am done with finals at the college and when we are done on Friday. I think I will be able to relax a bit more. My husband and I even got into a fight yesterday when I tried to order something online for him. It was just not working out, paypal stinks(HATE IT!) and I messed up. Anyhooo, on top of that I will have to begin job hunting yet again soon. I keep trying to tell myself that life is way too short to stress out and always be in a bad mood.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2008

I can relate. Our tree is not up nor did we buy presents. ... yet. We will not exchange with each other because we wihy spend money we don't have.

Of course in between buying gifts... we still have the regular bills and mortgage to pay.. and frankly that's my main concern. I'm happy just spending time with people.

I have to pay down cc debt and it hasn't been easy. So no, I do not have Christmas spirit.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 15, 2008

Bah Humbug-I'm with y'all! I found my Christmas CD's for the car, but even that's not helping. I just had a $700 repair on my car - Merry Christmas! So that puts a damper on shopping. I didn't even want to participate in our Secret Santa for teachers at the school (although I broke down and signed up) - I usually get excited for that. I'm hoping the holiday spirit will kick in when vacation starts!

STG - are you in the Dallas area? I'm sorry the job hunt is going so badly - I know for a fact our school will have vacancies next year if you are anywhere near Houston!

12. smalltowngal

Dec 15, 2008

Kinder-I'm about 45 minutes-1 hr southwest of Dallas. There are about 3-4 positions available in my district and I thought they would have them filled before going on the break, but both principals told me they were going to do the majority of their interviewing after the holidays.

13. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Dec 15, 2008

Same here! :(

14. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 16, 2008

though i now have a job, i can relate to your pain because i lived in texas over the summer and the city i was in had a lot of displaced teachers due to several schools in the district closing, so they refused to hire any new teachers until all the old ones had been placed.

I spent two months trying to get a job and my now ex-fiance and I were so broke. We were basically living off of the $800 summer stipend I was getting every two weeks because all his money went toward paying his car note, the mortgage and his student loans.

finally, i decided to move to the east coast. i had a job within two weeks. maybe you should consider moving as well. it's probably impossible right now, but perhaps it'd be better in the long term

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 16, 2008

I really get in the spirit when school is out. Now it is just too much to handle.

Teacher Lyn- how are you feeling these days? I know you were pretty sad a couple weeks ago. Are things better?

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 16, 2008

The other thing I don't like is all the last minute stuff I have to spend money on. You know when you realize you need something for your room mom, the specials teachers- all 6 of them, the neighbor, etc. Plus we are driving to out Holiday destination and that will take some money to get things for the car like oil change, new wipers, snack for the trip, gas, hotel...etc

17. smalltowngal

Dec 16, 2008

Teacher Lyn-Yeah, we've thought about moving. I applied to counties in North Carolina and received serveral responses for phone interviews within an hour of applying; however, they all went with someone that was closer. We thought about moving out there w/o jobs but no apartment complexes would allow you to move in without a job so we decided to stay. There are 3 positions that should be interviewing after the holidays. At least I have something to look forward to, and maybe next Christmas will be better. Heck, all of 2009 has to be better than this year.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2008

Amen to that!

19. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 17, 2008

Regift. Make something. Write a poem.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 17, 2008

Hugs to you all. Think positive, 2009 will be better.

We quit doing presents for each other (brothers & sisters, we do for the kids) a long time ago. I still wanted to do something for them so I started writing stories about our childhood... from my perspective. They've loved them and their children have enjoyed reading tales about their parent's childhood. It's turned into a tradition now and I couldn't stop if I wanted to before they look forward to getting them.

I write stories for my nieces/nephews too about when they were born or adopted, and they'd rather have that than any gift I could buy. They'll hang on to the stories for a life time too.

I've had some real hard years at Christmas. The hardest being when someone's been hospitalized, or even worse than that is when a parent has past away or someone you loooonnngged to see didn't get to show up. I know your presence will be a blessing where ever you show up.

21. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Dec 17, 2008

yeah... i'm not feeling it this year either. We really dont have any money to play around with (thanks amazing stock market!) this year, my grandma is in the hospital. Last year, the day after chrstmas, a good friend of the family died. My twin brother is stuck in jail (long story), my entire family is all spread out. it's just one huge mess. I'd just much prefer staying at home with my wife and baby. yep, yep. but um.. no. that's not going to happen.

so.. you're not alone.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2008

I am with you all, too. I think it might have something to do with Thanksgiving being so late this year - there has just been less time to get ready. I have so much to do, I said the other day I am really not even enjoying this holiday season.

Last night, I finally got most of my presents wrapped and cleaned up the living room and stood back and looked at the tree with everything all cleaned up, and I finally started feeling it a little, so hopefully it is starting to sink in a little.

On the other hand, I am going shopping with my dad after work today for my mom and that pretty much makes me want to stick a pencil in my eye, so hopefully that doesn't ruin it.