Not excited for school this year...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lei286, Jul 18, 2018.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2018

This is my current P. I get along with her just fine, but she has screamed at a few of us faculty members. I stay in my room, make sure I keep students and parents happy, and help out as much as I possibly can. Yes, she has added stress to the school, but on the flip side she's made the faculty shape up real quick too.

This was the P before the current one. I don't think she ever left campus to actually sell a house, but she would stay at school until 7pm or later most nights. It made everyone think she was working hard on school stuff, but I found out she was just working on her side business.

It was the reason why her secretary didn't mind doing her photography business during school hours - school parents would come in, dress up their kids (taking them out of class), have their pictures taken on campus, and then she would edit and order copies to be made right at her work desk. New P came in and that secretary lasted 1 school year and noped right out.

2. Been There

Been There Habitué

Aug 2, 2018

Thank you for daring to share your negative experiences with us. Having worked with quite a few school administrators across the spectrum (deep inner-city, rural, suburban, extremely low SES, extremely high SES, military base, special school, consent-decree), both as a teacher and administrator, I've concluded that the unprofessional administrative behavior you describe is the norm and not the exception as some would have us believe. Doubting Thomases who have not had the pleasure of working under a misguided boss have no idea of the scope of the problem.

The fact that you "get along with her just fine" and that "she's made the faculty shape up real quick too" is irrelevant as far as her unprofessional conduct is concerned - the resulting mental stress to the teachers and the FEAR that she instills in all of you is inexcusable. She apparently has not learned how to use collaborative teamwork to achieve school-wide goals.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Aug 2, 2018

This is yet another example of a principal that rules with an iron fist. Your summer is actually her summer! IMO, it's irrelevant that you don't have to "stick to the schedule perfectly". What if you have been away on a two-month vacation, are working two summer jobs to make ends meet or are recovering from major surgery? Call it what it is. BTW, was this summer duty included in your job description?

4. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2018

I think-- from what I've experienced-- that things work differently at an independent school. My contact states from Sept 1 to August 30, so yes I can be called in during the summer if I need to and yes, I can have summer work assigned to me too. So it doesn't irk me and it was something I was planning to do either this summer or over the next school year. Not the end of the world and honestly I could get it all done under 8 hours if I did just what she asked us to do.

5. BioAngel

Aug 2, 2018

She's learning - she was a teacher, then VP, and now P. She was dropped into a new school community and I remember being in her shoes as a teacher and it had it's challenges.

And she has done a lot of good, while trying to balance everybody's wants and needs - admin, parents, students, and faculty. If she was as horrible as some of your posts are making admin out to be, I wouldn't be at this school. She has grown a lot when it comes to working collaboratively, but I will say that she has to light a fire under our butts sometimes - some faculty members just slack off and will tell you they did something to your face but haven't done it at all.

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Aug 2, 2018

My posts are not meant to make administrators out to be horrible people - just relating what I've personally experienced, much like you did. I'm glad you think your principal's doing a good job. However, in my book, anyone who needs to light fires under teachers' butts to get them to do what is expected and SCREAMS AT THEM is in serious need of additional PD. The dishonesty that you mentioned is further evidence of unhealthy teacher-principal relations at your school - I'm not referring to your own relationship with the P. which according to you is "just fine". I'm quite certain your colleagues would agree with my honest assessment!

Please know that I'm merely responding to your original comments about your P. and applying what I've learned from several decades of studying dysfunctional school leadership behavior, both academically and in the field. It's OK to be critical of someone with whom you are on good terms, at least on this anonymous forum. I understand why you specifically mentioned staying in your room. Been There

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Aug 4, 2018

You moved from district-to-district throughout your career (from what you’ve shared in different threads). Have you ever had a positive experience with an administrator? No one likes a Debbie Downer—maybe your personality pushes people away.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 4, 2018

First, it does sound like a vacation would be helpful. I hope you have had time for rest and relaxation.

Second, sometimes the best years follow the worst years and here is why. When you have a really rough year, you tell yourself, "There is no way I want another year like that one." Then, you are able to really reflect on what parts were really awful. I would write down the 3-5 areas that you most want to be different this coming year.

Third, if you make no changes, you will probably have a similar year to last year. You need to think about what big and small things you can do to make this a happier year for you and your students. I would first focus on the things on your list of 3-5 that you have the most control over. If admin. is killing your creativity, creative people often find ways to be creative even when others are putting up brick walls. When a door is locked, look for a window.

Fourth, when you get to a specific problem where you don't know how to improve it, post it on this site. There are lots of caring and wonderful educators who have been where you have been and can give you helpful ideas.

Let us know how it goes. :)