Not excited for school this year...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lei286, Jul 18, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 19, 2018

My school has been open for nearly 25 years. We have 8-10 teachers who have taught the same grade-level in the same room the entire time! It’s mind-boggling to me, but I guess it works for them.

Backroads likes this.
  2. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 19, 2018

I think this helps explain why you're always so positive and upbeat! Unfortunately, your school is one of the exceptions to the rule. I would predict if you stay put, you'll have an excellent chance at becoming the school's next principal when the time comes.:)

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 20, 2018

I am glad I am not the only one!

I thought I was getting a new position, but those plans never came to fruition. When thinking about next year there are things I am excited about, but I have moments where I am very disappointed that I will be back in my same position.

I decided to take a month with staying away from school and school related things as much as possible. I used to do this when I first started teaching, but have not done that at all the past several years. I am hoping that will help recharge me.

4. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 20, 2018

I had a principal who encouraged everyone to make a change every five years. Either grade level or school site. The reality is that something will probably change for you within that time so you're not really repeating things even if you're entrenched. My district seems to buy new curriculums whenever a salesperson shows up. Changes in admin also happen and that can make things better or worse.

5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 20, 2018

Me either. Live for the weekend.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Jul 21, 2018

Yeah, I think the way my district/admin handles things is also a BIG factor as to why I'm not feeling it this year. They expect 120% effort from the teachers, but they offer very little help outside what they are obligated to give. And I had heard from quite a few people about the inner workings of the district and one teacher even went as far as to call the superintendent a moron....and this was even before I got hired as a FT teacher! So now that I've experienced it first-hand, I'm starting to see all the red flags. Plus, I feel stiffled creatively because we have so many MANDATED things that we are told we MUST be teaching. Frankly, it sucks all the fun out of it.

I'm going to do what I can do, and not even look at any Back to School stuff until August. Hopefully, I will be able to shake this feeling and move on.

7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 25, 2018

You're right about one thing - it sucks all the fun out of it! The more toxic the workplace, the more I retreated into my own world, keeping a low profile, just doing the bare minimum and not trusting ANYONE. If it turns out that you were hired by a truly dysfunctional district, you may have to stick it out for a couple of years before attempting to find work elsewhere. In the meantime, try to connect with a few good people on your staff for morale support. Enjoy the rest of your summer as much as possible.

8. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jul 26, 2018

I’m in the same boat, year 12 for me. I’m moving to a different grade level and every time I even start to think about school stuff, I get depressed and anxious. When I get like that, it’s hard for me to focus.

So, I don’t get any school stuff done, even though I need to. This leads to even more anxiety because I’m afraid of starting the year behind the eight ball, which leads to more anxiety and inability to focus. It’s like a vicious cycle that always ends with me wanting to have a bawling fit in the bathroom, but I know my three-year-old would never allow it, lol.

BioAngel likes this.
  9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 1, 2018

Make "baby step" goals for yourself to get back into things. It is August 1st now and I have to REALLY get started on what I'm supposed to be doing this upcoming school year (and I am too dreading this year - so many changes in faculty and I'm maybe starting to look at other schools since we want to move out of state).

Today... I'm going to work on ONE 3rd grade unit (that I taught last year but want to create/update student packets, assessments, and my curriculum map). Not going to worry about how my inbox is already overflowing with emails, or how I'm pretty sure my P will be emailing us today to get us started (we don't go back until the week before Labor Day), or how I'm coaching tennis in a few weeks (I've never played tennis before).

Baby... itty bitty... steps :)

10. BioAngel

Aug 1, 2018

ME TOO! Yesterday I sat down to start working and then I noticed my coffee cup was empty... filled it up. Oh I really should get the laundry going since I need to do 2 loads of my stuff... and I promised hubby I'd run to the store and pick up some things for dinner. Now my coffee is cold, gotta reheat it, and I'm hot so I'm going to sit and watch TV while I drink my coffee. BOOM... 4pm and hubby will be home in 3 hours. Total avoidance of what I need to actually be doing. Oh wells...

So I need to get started today... but I am noticing that my coffee cup is below the half way line... maybe I need a refill first ;):confused:

If anything, this avoidance that we do as teachers shows me what some of my students are going through. I will openly talk to them about this in class and how they can work through the anxiety, fear, and stress in order to help themselves to be able to simple sit down and pick a task to start on. If it is hard for adults to do, no way are kids going to understand and learn how to cope with it too.

bella84 and Been There like this.
  11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 1, 2018

This summer, I designated 1 afternoon per week for school work. I gather all my materials and I LEAVE MY HOUSE. I either go to a local coffee shop or park (depending on what I’m working on). I have been so productive because I can’t work on those other house projects that seem super important every time I sit down to do school. Not sure if this is feasible for you (I don’t have any kids) but it might be worth trying.

BioAngel likes this.
  12. BioAngel

Aug 1, 2018

It would be very feasible for me to do something like that, but I find that when I'm out in public I get much more distracted by all of the sounds and people than when I'm home. I'm actually 3 hours into lesson planning and almost have 1 unit finished - mainly working on the curriculum map part and writing individual lessons.

I have a workspace in my bedroom, but it tends to get covered with other stuff: binders, paper work I need to shred or put away, clothes. Mentality it is the only spot I can do real work. I have to do go through certain steps before I can settle down: get dressed, get a fresh cup of coffee, turn on all of the lights in the room, clean off my desk, take out what I need, etc - if I don't do those steps I can't get started. It works if I can just get myself settled down into my area.

I have gone to the library before to grade projects that I had to turn back the next day though and hubby was home. I know when he's around nothing will get done :) He can work on something with music blasting, tons of stuff going on around him, and a complete mess around his workspace. I'm the total opposite: quiet, neat, organized. I hope any future children we may have will take after me ;)

bella84 likes this.
  13. Been There

Been There Habitué

Aug 1, 2018

Having majored in entomology, I often dreamed about teaching science to elementary students. While in college I taught an after-school entomology class to a group of GATE students and had a blast. I'm surprised that you have to spend so much time planning lessons with so much available on the internet. It sounds like you don't have a commercial science program that already includes lessons, pacing chart and other useful resources. Are you doing everything from scratch?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 1, 2018

My private school just hired a new, young CEO (in his mid 30’s) about two months again and I was apprehensive at first because I don’t like unknowns where my work is concerned. I am happy to say he is absolutely fantastic and everything I could have hoped for.

I could not imagine working under an unruly administrator... I’ve been extremely lucky so far in that I’ve had very supportive and nice admin and it is my hope that my luck continues for years to come. The good news is that my superiors are all in their 30’s and 40’s and have been with the school for a decade or more each, and they all plan stay for the long term (that is, until retirement). This means I’m in the clear for at least a couple decades. Phew!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. Been There

Been There Habitué

Aug 1, 2018

For those who have been there, "unruly" doesn't begin to describe what some of us have witnessed. Imagine having a principal who has no hesitation chewing out teachers in meetings to the point of bringing them to tears. My last principal made both of my instructional aides cry by harshly scolding them for going above and beyond their job descriptions helping students in situations where no other staff members were available (she wasn't even present during the alleged incidents). Among other things, she also accused me of continuing to teach a lesson despite blaring emergency horns during a school-wide drill / lock-down to prepare for an armed intruder on campus - there were several district observers, none whom could verify her preposterous allegation. How about an assistant principal in the largest middle school (1,000+) in an urban district who would routinely run off to neighboring cities to sell houses? He would leave a sweater on the back of his desk chair to give the impression that he was just away from his desk (far away!). Unfortunately, this realtor/administrator also served as my on-site supervisor in an admin. credential program. Young or old don't make any difference to me!