Not exactly what I wanted to hear...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Julie9789, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I applied to PW schools in VA which makes for 4 states total and 9 counties. I had 1 interview back in July and it was a no.

I emailed my supervisor the other day and he replied saying it was a "horrendous" job market and to go ahead and "just substitute" for the upcoming school year. Ouch. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Regardless, I applied to the 2 closest counties for substituting. One still has a pool I have to go through, but at least that's a little more hopeful!

I chose my school over another because of it's academic standards and preference in the community. The school is known for having teachers hired right away and preferred over other universities. I even joined Kappa Delta Pi to help show off my dedication to my career. Now it feels like I've wasted my money.

Yes I know, it's still early. School starts in a week. Still, wishing I could have even an interview to look forward too :\

The upside, if I do substitute, I'll still be able to build my background in my science certification. My sister is homeschooled and their umbrella group is hosting co-op classes. They need a middle school science teacher. While it is volunteer, it will work for experience!

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

I'm in MD, too. Do you mind telling me which counties you applied to? I'm in AACo.

4. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Carroll, Baltimore, Howard, and Allegany (my stretch)

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Did you apply to Fairfax?

6. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Call me picky, but it's too urban for me :\ I prefer the suburban and rural areas. I guess it's because that's where I grew up, but I just do not enjoy the hustle and bustle of a city.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

They are still hiring and I don't know about you but I wouldn't be soo picky at this point. Give it a try. I teach in a small suburban community in Fairfax.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

I think you may like Anne Arundel, too. We're mostly suburban, some rural and a very few urban pockets (one of which I teach in!).

9. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

Can I ask what urban pocket you teach in? I have family in AACo.

I'll look into it. Now I remember why I didn't apply -- they don't have any teacher positions listed in the vacancies, unless AACo is much like the rest of Maryland and doesn't post them.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

In the current economy, I don't think it matters quite as much where you went to school as much as it matters whether you are the right person for the job. Yes, they probably look at your education, but I'd think (and hope) that what you list under your experience counts more than where you went to school.

11. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

So because I had 5 placements at Rural/Suburban schools (not by choice), it's basically screwed me over for an area that has a lot of urban fringe and suburban areas?

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

Do you mean where you went to college or where your practicum placements were? I took it to mean where you went to college.

And I don't only think its where your placements are that get you noticed...its also what you write and how you write about your experience in those placements.

Please keep in mind that you are not alone in the job search. This is not meant to be a personal thing, although being rejected and not getting interviews always feels personal. There are so many people looking for jobs right now...your supervisor isn't trying to be mean or rude, just practical. Don't give up, but certainly don't think that only subbing is a waste of a year. It could make for great experience. :)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

And for the record, I was president of my KDP chapter in college and didn't get a job offer until August depsite a whole slew of interviews. The job market back then was tough, but not nearly like it is now.

14. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I guess both. Originally I meant my college.

The placements are that way too. I had 5 placements all in farming and suburban areas. I didn't get to choose any...especially the first 3. They were through the community college and even though I specifically marked "please keep it in [my town] area as I have to be at work by 2" they placed me 30-40 minutes away! Then as a transfer at the university, my junior placement was in a new school that is a well off area, but a Jewish community (I'm not trying to stereotype!) My student teaching was in a rich farming/rural area.

A friend of mine received an interview for a Title I school and was denied the position because she didn't have experience in a "not rich" school.

I know, I guess I'm more upset as for the past 5 years, I've looked forward to my first year of teaching from setting up my classroom to planning my first day's lesson. I'm very indecisive otherwise and now I'm totally lost as to what I want to do. I know subbing is the easy answer, but I have other ideas/plans I could do in the fall too.

That's reassuring. :) I just wish schools took the KDP a little more seriously like it was played up to be in College.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

I teach in Annnapolis. I know for a fact there are still openings, but how the HR process works is that you apply to the county first, and then the county HR sends you to schools to interview based on their specific openings. So, they don't really advertise...and they also dont' advertise because they don't need to. They get enough qualified people that apply directly to the board of ed without seeking out applicants.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

I'm not sure why you feel this way. If anything, I would say your choice to not sub in an urban area will screw you over more than the placements you had during college.

Right now, you should make yourself available to as many districts as possible. You're correct that many jobs are NOT posted to the general public and are filled internally first. If you are subbing at the schools, that at least gets your foot in the door and your name and face in front of administration. If you are reliable and do a good job, there is a chance they will think of you when a position does come open.

This just happened for me this week. Until I got an unsolicited call from a school I've worked with extensively, I was gearing up for another year of working as Substitute in ALL the schools in my district and the next one over.

I don't think you wasted the money on your college, although I agree it might not carry the "hiring prestige" you were led to believe. I also think it was a smart idea to join Kappa Delta Pi to show your commitment to the education field. But as leigh said, employers have a surplus of applicants right now, so it's more about finding the person that is the best "fit" for their system.

So far, it sounds like you have done everything right, with the possible exception of limiting the areas where you will sub.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

When I applied here for positions, several principals asked me what KDP was. There isn't a chapter at the most popular college for education in this area, so no one knew what it was. Then again, that's not why I joined, and it wasn't advertised that way at my college.

18. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Aug 14, 2010

Hey Julie, I just moved to VA from MD for a job... and we just had a 5th grade position open at our school site. Check out Fauquier Co, Va. We are considered a rural county known for horses and wine! PM if you want.

19. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

Did you look into Loudoun Co. in VA? One of my former principals is a principal at a school there. It is more suburban/rural than Fairfax, but still close to everything.

When applying to Prince William County, make sure you email the principals with positions listed directly. That is what I did when I was hired in 2006. I got 3 interviews out of it, and a few reply emails from principals wanting to see if I was interested in an interview (after I accepted my position). At that time, I did have 4 years of experience, but I don't think it would hurt to contact some directly. I was VERY happy in the PWC schools. It was hard to leave when my husband was transferred back to NC.

Also, make sure you submit an application even if the school systems don't have jobs posted. Every school I have worked in has hired people after the beginning of the year.

20. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 14, 2010

Yes, I did look into Loundon, but they didn't have any teacher position openings so I didn't apply.

I was planning on doing that. I was going to attach my resume and cover letter and give them a heads up that I applied and stuff.

That's ultimately what I'm waiting for. I'm hoping some kind of position will open for whatever reason within the first week or so of school, which for around here is in a week!

21. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

Don't stress too much at this point! The northern VA school systems don't start school until after Labor Day. As long as you are flexible and open to the idea that you might not have a lot of prep time before the school year starts, you still have a good chance of getting a job. PW continues to expand. At my school we hired 13 new teachers last year! I also know when I started a few years ago in Oct, there were two other teachers that started that week.

A lot of parents wait and register their students the first week of school, so a lot of schools don't have a good idea of numbers until then. So even if there are not positions now, I know that Sept.30 PW and Fairfax evaluate their numbers.... positions pop up after that too. I know that our numbers in 4th are already too high... and we are still weeks away from the beginning of school!

You have good experience, you really have to make sure you play it up and show how it will address the needs of your students. I am sure that in your "rich" placements there was a child or two that wasn't so priveleged. What did you do for those children? You still probably had a student that was below the level of the rest of the class... how did you remediate or differentiate for that child? Just because the whole class wasn't economically disadvantaged doesn't mean that you haven't dealt with it. Also, did you have a child from a different culture, or who spoke a different language? How did it effect your interactions with parents? I don't know if your farming area school was still in a rich area or not, but a lot of people in farming areas deal with the same type of economic troubles as those in an urban setting.

Also, look into programs and curriculum that the counties use. If you are familiar with them, this could help. On my resume, I made sure to include the names of programs that I had used. I know my school was happy to see that I had used Investigations. I know some schools were happy to see that I had used Open Court for reading. Hopefully some of this helps!

By the way, make sure to contact principals in PW and Ffx after you apply.... otherwise you may never hear from them!

22. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 16, 2010

That's very true. Today I went to the community college and re-enrolled. I found out I have 4 classes left to take to get my early childhood degree (I started out as that). I might even be exempt from 3 of the classes because of my Bachelors :) . Plus, it will defer my loan and give me health insurance (under my parents). Anyway, of the 3 classes I'm taking, the 1 that is actually toward the ECE degree is online, so even if I have to move, I can still take it.

I'll have to think about it. There were a few kids, but I only had them for like 50 minutes a day and I never really taught them.

I forgot about mentioning the curriculum on my resume. I should do that. I'll have to look them up because I forget :)

I did contact a few of the principals in PW on Saturday night. I haven't heard anything, but at least I put it out there.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Have you applied to charters? Private? Parochial?

24. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I did private schools.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2010

Apply everywhere within a reasonable commuting distance. You never know- late summer openings do happen.

26. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I did apply everywhere within a 2-3 hour drive of my home.

Supposedly classmates who just got jobs within the past few weeks are still getting calls from one county. Yet a friend of mine who's husband works for that county said that they still have over 400 qualified applicants that haven't been hired. So, I don't know about that.

I'm content with what I'm doing now. Should something change, then I guess that will be even better.