Not enough time

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JaimeMarie, Jul 13, 2007.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

I was hired as a kindergarten teacher on Wednesday. I'm starting to feel the pressure. Orentation is August 24th. I don't have enough time to do all I want to do.
    What are some things you think are very important to have ready?
    I would like to have my first month planned before hand.
    Here is a list of our themes for the September.
    * School Community
    * Fall
    * Apples
    * Butterfly (life cycle)
    * Calendar
    * Me
    * Body Parts
    * Friends
    * Manners
    * 5 Senses
    * Feelings
    * Emotions

I think I can handel the apples part, calendar and school community.
    ACK It seems like an awful lot to cover in a month.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2007

Weren't you teaching k-8 before?
    Congrats on the new job!!

4. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Is your day full day or half day? If you are doing readers/writers workshops, you have even less time! Apples, All about Me, calendar routines, class rules, and a review of basics such as colors, shapes, etc. are how I begin. I also use a unit on the Gingerbread Man to begin with. This helps the children learn their way around the school and meet the various teachers and staff as we look for our runaway cookie.
    Good luck in your new position. Kindergarten is a wonderful grade.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Zoe,
    Last year I did teach K- 8. You would think that teaching just K would be so much easier! haha. I guess I had kind of decided I wasn't going to get a job back home. So had my plans already for k-8. The kindergarten I was getting alreayd knew the school, the routine of the day, myself and the other staff. So I didn't have to do all that again. He came four days this past spring. He is in special ed.

So now I'm getting 16 to 20 kindergartners with no formal public school experience. Soooooooooooooooooooo Anyway haha that is why I'm stressing.

kindernj123,
    I'm thinking about using The Kissing Hand as my start of the school year lesson.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

My kids' kindergarten teacher did that. And she had them make a paint palm-print that same day (or early that week.) It came home at some point. Those 2 have a permanent place on my kitchen wall, right above the phone. (We still have another year to wait for Kira's)

7. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I have one too, from my son! She had them draw a hand, color it in and then stamped a red heart on it for the kiss. They also kissed it and then gave it to the parents. I do this too, sometime during the first few weeks. Would you believe I find most kids don't like getting their hand painted to print a hand. Sometimes a big stamp pad like the Lakeshore ones can be used instead of paint. Much easier to clean off, too.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

First of all, Congratulations on your new job, Jamie!!!
    When I first looked at the list, I thought too it is a lot to cover in a month, but many of the topics can go together. You could do fall and apples together, Me and Body Parts, and Five Senses together, School Community, Friends and Manners together, and Feelings and Emotions together. Do you have a set time for how much time you have to spend on each topic? If you don't, you could spend 1-3 days on most of them.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

Wow! I haven't had a kid who didn't like having their hand painted. They LOVE the squishy, cool feeling of the paint. And they are so mature not to go around handpainting my classroom. *sniff* I miss kindergarten.

And I agree, there is NOT enough time for all of the things you want to teach. I only had like 2-3 themes that I taught each month.

August-Back To School
    September- Back To School, apples, Shadows
    October- Shadows, Pumpkins, Halloween
    November- Friends, Thanksgiving
    December- Friends, Gingerbread, Wind, Weather
    January- Wind, Weather, Snowmen, Penguins
    February- Stick to It, Valentine, 100th Day
    March- Red, White, and Blue, St. Patrick's Day
    April- Team Work, Spring
    May- By the Sea
    June- Graduation

Some things I had ready when I started: my orientation packet, management planned figured out, fun games to play during transition time, centers (that was the one I spent a lot of time figuring out- how I will do it and what kind of things they will do during center time). Those are the big main ones.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Try fingerpainting with your grade 5 students next year--they'll love it!!!

11. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 13, 2007

Wow, I am so excited for you! :D I am sure you will really enjoy kindergarten. I know I have so far. We start out the year with the Kissing Hand, as well. We also review/go over colors and shapes the first bit. Other than that, my brain is a bit foggy right now! :p

12. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 13, 2007

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks Jamie.

Thanks everyone!

14. KarToTeach

KarToTeach Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Sheesh - my browser just deleted my whole message! I had begun to write that it seems like way too much for only one month :eek: . Things like calendar and school community are covered all year. You'll do your calendar routine every day and school community can be discussed as they live it (going down for assemblies, to the lunch room, at recess etc.).
    You should have one general, broad umbrella theme (apples) for September and then let things fall in as they fit. You could look at some of the five sense exploring various kinds of apples.
    You'll find that much of September is lost on training the students to behave how you want them to and learning routines. They will be unsure of what is expected so it is very, very, very (!!) important for you to have your expectations set in your head so you can explaining them and model them as needed.
    Do as much photocopying as you can now because you will be exhausted. There is nothing like a September teacher tired!!
    Have very thorough day plans made for yourself but be prepared to let things go to the next day if more time is needed on something. When were you planning on teaching them some letters/numbers in September?! You had a full month planned!
    Hmmm....what else.....HAVE FUN with them!! They will need to play and they will want to play with you. Take this time now to get to know them because they will feel more secure in your company and your time will quickly get taken with testing.
    If you have a full day program consider beginning the year with two separate play times (centres whatever) because many will still be four and NEED to play.
    So....in a long winded message I guess I'm suggesting to:
    1) narrow down your "theme" to one broad theme and incorporate minilessons throughout them all year
    2) have your expectations clear in your mind for all procedures and routines
    3) be prepared to have fun
    4) be flexible in your plans (but have enough planned!)
    5) train, train, train....the rest of your year will be much better f you focus a lot of time and energy now in to training them

Have fun - let me know if you need help with anything else!:)

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

I can't narrow my themes I am following the curriculum map of the school. I know all about routine. This isn't my first year teaching kindergarten. Just my first year here at this school. And my first year teaching only one grade level.

16. KarToTeach

KarToTeach Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I guess when you asked about important things to have ready I took it as you wanted to know some important things to have ready. I would have narrowd my reply if I'd known your experiences. My apologies.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

Really!? I can still paint hands. OH JOY!! I LOVE painting hands.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 14, 2007

Sorry I came across grumpy. :D LOL. I suppose I should write up what I do have ready and than say are these things you would do!!! LOL.
    It just seems so strange to only have to do one grade level.
    The letters home to the parents and that type of stuff seem strange to me. I have always just called the parents and talked to them in the past because it was only six sets of parents. Now I'll have 20 sets!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 14, 2007

Yup and you can even finger paint with 7th and 8th graders!

20. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

littlegiraffes.com is a great page! I worked with that teacher 2 years ago as a tutor for her classroom. She has some really great ideas and really gets the kids involved in literacy. :) Congrats on the new job!