Not disruptive, but not participating

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missrebecca, May 14, 2015.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 14, 2015

What do you do when students are quietly refusing to participate? I have a couple 1st graders who have "checked out" at this point in the year, will put their heads down in class (usually after being told to stop doing another not-allowed activity), and avoid entire lessons. My fear is that this will escalate into other students copying the behavior or thinking it's OK to act out.

These kiddos have behavior charts and I've been in contact with parents throughout the school year... both students' parents have said that they are also having a hard time at home... so I'm just looking for ways to handle it in class.

Talking with them usually results in either the student saying "I just don't want to" or having a tantrum/meltdown.

Should I ignore them? Give them an alternate task to do, like taking something to the office as a distraction? I'm worried about accidentally making them feel rewarded for bad behavior (especially if they still don't participate afterward), but with only a few weeks left of school, I feel like anything that works is worthwhile...

Please let me know if you have any ideas. It's happening every day, all day, and it's driving me nuts. lol.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 14, 2015

With first graders, I never had that "contagious behavior" problem so much. I'm having it in a big way with my second graders though.

Where are the kids as far as academic skills? Are they ready for second grade or do they have a lot of catching up to do?

4. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 14, 2015

That's true... I had a bad case of contagious behavior with my 4th graders last year, and maybe that's where I'm coming from. The 1st graders mostly seem like they want to follow the rules.

One student is ahead academically, and she'll be fine. The other is below grade level and might need to be held back.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 14, 2015

The student who is ahead may be ready for some challenge activities. She might just be bored. The other student may benefit from working with another student. That might keep him/her interested long enough to complete the activity.

6. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 14, 2015

I like that challenge idea. She's likely to be in a gifted & talented program down the line. Hmm... definitely going to think about how to tackle that. She usually comprehends whatever I'm teaching and can do the activity, even after goofing off during the entire lesson. :confused::lol:

The other boy has a hard time working in partners/groups. He struggles with sharing and sometimes refuses to do any work. I've seated him next to positive role models, but it still is a challenge.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 14, 2015

I have one that sounds like your little guy...but even when the whole class works with a partner, he will sit there and refuse to do anything. So then I usually end up sending him back to his desk and letting the partner join another group (no fair to them otherwise!). I wish I had more ideas...

8. plitty

plitty Rookie

May 14, 2015

Switch it up- try some new things the last few weeks. New and different activities or ways of doing things. Keep it positive- praise the others that are doing it and focus on them. Positive wins!