Not being social

Discussion in 'General Education' started by John Lee, Aug 4, 2015.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 4, 2015

Do teachers understand, if you choose not to attend social gatherings outside of work? I mean, I appreciate my staff... I actually think they're all very nice people. And I like the fact that I work with a group of people who think its nice to get together and (e.g. have brunch, take a walk, go to movies, happy hour)... and it is nice to be invited too.

During the school year, I certainly feel a bit more obligated to participate... if not often, occasionally. But during the summer--and this may come off as harsh to people here--I really have no desire to see them or have much reminder of school. I feel a little bad turning down invitations to this and that all the time during the summer. Often, I really don't have good reasons for not wanting to go, other than just not wanting to go. Sitting with a group of married women (only man) and do whatever it, does not interest me. I just hope they understand.

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2015

People at my site definitely understand. We're all adults with lives. Or, in my case, an adult who just doesn't like to socialize often. I get along great with my coworkers in the workplace despite not attending their weekly happy hours.

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 4, 2015

I thing going occasionally is great! I feel similarly about the summer. :)

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2015

We're a really small staff and a lot of us are pretty close. However, we do our own things during the summer. Some will get together. Like I'm going out with a couple of the girls this weekend. However, a lot of us just catch back up on that first day.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 4, 2015

I don't think anyone in our school thinks anything about it. Some of us are friends outside of work, but others never socialize outside of work.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2015

I used to live in a very tiny town where work was really the only place to make friends, so I really only went out with coworkers. A lot of time we'd end up talking/complaining about school because that's all we really had in common, and I didn't like that. One of the many things I love about living in a bigger city now is that I have a completely separate social life outside of work. Personally, I like having that separation. I have a little group that I eat lunch with most days at school, but we don't really hang out outside of work. I never go to work happy hours or holiday parties. To me those kinds of events are very tiring and feel like just more work- having to make polite small talk with coworkers is not my idea of fun. Most are 20-30 years older than me and only interested in talking about their kids/grandkids. I'm sure some people think it's bad that I don't attend any of those events, but honestly it's not something I'm going to worry about. I have plenty of friends outside of school and am happy with my social circle.

8. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

I think it is nice to go on occasion. I was not as social this year as I was in years past, so I felt very out of the loop and at times lonely at work. However, I also had the misfortune of being on a hallway with several people I do not relate to.

Different culture, morals, interest, and work ethic. So even if they had invited me out, I doubt I would have had a good time because I did not enjoy their company at work.

I usually prefer to be cordial to everyone, then have a couple go-to people that I am close with. Unfortunately, both my go-to people left last school year, so I am hoping to find new ones this year.