Not allowed to require materials

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Peregrin5, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

My son and daughters supply list was closer to $25 or more each. I wish and think it should be closer to $3.

2. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

I don't get the whole "abuse" of supplies thing. What, do people think that teachers just take hundreds of pencils or bins full of notebook paper home with them or something?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

I think it's more that teachers portray certain items as required when they're really just "nice to have", and the student ends up not using them all year (such as colored pencils, if the teacher provides them, or rulers, pencil sharpeners, scissors, etc. things that teachers might already have class sets of but asks parents to buy anyway for no good reason). The student usually ends up taking home materials that they never used.

Some students like to have their own set of materials, and I'm fine with that. I now wish I added a disclaimer to that paragraph that said "please note, that regardless of what that stupid paragraph says, I will not take your student's personal supplies and distribute them among the other students."

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

Just looking in the Sunday flyers. Our Walmart prices are no where near what you are quoting. The last I was in Walmart, just a couple of weeks ago, the prices were no where near that low, even in their back to school special prices section.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

So saying that your student should use their own supplies instead of relying on supplies that the teacher spent their own money on is "no good reason?" I have colored pencils, but I still consider them required on my supply list, because students should use mine as an absolute last resort. Same with scissors. There's also the reality that kids respect their own property much more than the teacher's property.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

Well then your students would use their materials so they wouldn't be wasted. I'm saying that if a teacher has procedures and materials in place where they expect students to use class sets of materials, then it doesn't make sense to require them to purchase their own materials. For instance in my classroom, I provide colored pencils, scissors, etc. and I have systems for distributing them and getting them back. A student can use their own materials if they like, but the colored pencils are going to be in front of them anyway.

It sounds like in your class, the colored pencils would only come out for students if they literally have no other materials to use.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 24, 2014

Don't know what to tell ya- maybe it's regional. But I just went shopping 2 days ago and bought 6 binders and 4 packs of college-ruled paper for under $10.00.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

At my school it is something like this.

1. Teacher requests students bring in a bunch of items, parent then finds out teacher collected all items and distributes them to any student as needed.

2. Items that are requested are not used.

3. teacher's request everthing under the sun and parents know that the teachers have a supply budget.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

Let's see some of the wonderful items that end up on supply lists in my area. 2 4-pack of LOW ODOR dry erase markers (brand name listed and expected - dollar store doesn't have low odor), plastic pocket sleeves with 3 hole punch to put in binder (well great, you can't just buy one and a pack is expensive), Case binder 2 inch (not cheap), post-its, supply box AND pencil pouch that will fit in binder, sharpies, headphones, blue 8 , black 8 , red pens 3, and pencils, highlighters, colored pencils, crayons (yep), sketch book, headphones, disinfectant wipes, gallon size ziplock bags (specific type listed), hand held pencil sharpener, then all of the loose leaf, composition books, spirals, 3 hole punch to put in binder, calculator (expected in upper grades)

Kindergarten has index cards, scotch tape (really?), black felt tip pens (brand name indicated), colored pencils, thin tip markers, thick tip markers, headphones, ziplock bags gallon and sandwich, hand sanitizer, tissues, pencils, spirals, wet ones, low odor dry erase markers, Plus they request money for magazines and other items.

Middle school is pretty good except for insisting on a 3 inch binder which is expensive and never holds up.

HS every teacher gives supply lists and very specific expectations for binders and types of writing instruments they want - plus wipes, tissues, paper towels, ziplock bags, etc.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

And do you think those materials get used in the classroom, or do you think the teacher takes them home? And the reason for the LOW ODOR dry erase markers is probably because of allergies... and just the simple fact that 30 smelly markers coming out at once is going to be an issue in the classroom.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess that no student would get their "hand slapped" if they brought in generic versions of Ziplock bags.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

Well with number one, that's what the state apparently expects us to do now. :huh:

And number three, for us, the supply budget doesn't even come close to covering the costs for even the most basic supplies.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Right, of course it is different at other sites, however these are the problems that arise at my site.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

Supply... budget?

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

I know for a fact that there is a glut of extras at the end of the year. Yes, those items are used by the teacher because that is what the teacher prefers, not because it might be the most cost effective or there are other ways that the same work can be done without needing to have these items. Our K classes have 24 students (with a teacher and an aide). The teacher does not go through 24 packs of thick markers, thin markers, flair markers, highlighters, ziplock gallon and sandwich bags, etc.

And didn't we have someone posting earlier that there were so many extra supplies in her classroom that she was considering donating supplies to others. I can guarantee that would make many parents angry that they had to supply supplies to have them donated.

No, a teacher might not say anything to the family, but I can tell you that they are very vocal in the teacher lounge about parents not following their directions because they don't like the quality of the cheaper stuff.

I don't believe it is the parents job to fund the classroom supplies the teacher wants to use. Do you really think the Kindergarten kids are using black felt tip markers, thin tip markers, chisel tip markers, etc?

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2014

My supply budget is $75 for the year. From that, I'm supposed to purchase everything I need for the year including staples, lined paper, glue sticks, paper clips, push pins, tape, construction paper, etc. I had to buy a pencil sharpener this year because the one I had broke and it ate up more than 1/2 my $75 budget. It goes without saying that the $75 doesn't cover all my supply needs and I pay out of pocket for additional supplies. Do you honestly think that my supply budget could or should cover student supplies as well?

As for 1 and 2, I don't do communal supplies other than tissues and we absolutely use everything I require. Why would a teacher ask for it if it wasn't going to be used? Are they hoarding supplies for personal amusement? I'm confused. :huh:

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Yep, grade3, at my site most teachers supply list looks exactly like what a2z wrote AND we have a $250 supply budget where we get things at very good prices.

Only thing I have seen that we can't get(that most teachers want) is spiral notebooks.

So as you can see, there is resentment at my site over supply lists by parents.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

I've never taught kindergarten, so I don't know what supplies may get used there, but assuming those supplies are being used in some way for the children (even if not necessarily by the children), I'd say asking for parents to supply them rather than the teacher buying them out of pocket would be appropriate.

I can't speak to the teacher's lounge issue. That doesn't happen at my school, and with how I collect certain materials, I would never know that a particular student didn't send in something I asked for.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

I meant that sarcastically, because I've never been given a supply budget and don't expect to ever receive one. I either buy it myself or ask parents to send it in.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Of course you did.

I wanted you to know we ACTUALLY have one, with discounted prices, yet our student supply lists are HUGE.

20. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

Nope, I never said it was enough. But with a $250 supply budget I would never expect to get a supply list like what A2Z is posting and that is EXACTLY what my children's supply lists look like.

Yes, the pencil sharpner one is funny, that happens to us to, and is a valid use of the majority of the budget.

Oh, and 100% without doubt, I have seen it, yes, they do hoard supplies for the following years. Why ask for things they don't use? I don't know, many teachers say things like " I planned on using them, but blah blah blah". For some reason they don't get used.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

Am I weird in that I prefer hand sharpeners to electric/mechanical ones?

It saves me a lot of money since they only cost a few dollars.

22. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2014

Just for the record, below is a c & p of my supply list. I've never distributed nor seen a supply list that required specific brands. I'm not saying they don't exist; I'm just saying they are completely unfamiliar to me. My own children tend to get supply lists that are a bit larger, but not by much. I'm aware that I teach in a low income district so I keep mine to a minimal. Here it is:

Supply List:
    • pencil box
    • pencils
    • erasers
    • 3 glue sticks
    • 1 pocket folder
    • 1 box of colored pencils
    • 3 one-subject notebooks
    • 2 or more boxes of tissues (for our classroom supply)

Suggested supplies (optional):
    • scissors
    • dry erase markers

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

I will one up you on the weirdness.

I use pens for everything, minus art projects. No pencil sharpeners, no pencils sharpening, no pretending to break of the tip to sharpen your pencil, no asking to use another's sharpener because you don't have one...etc

24. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

Honestly, parents in my area wouldn't be up in arms if that was the supply list.

That is a very reasonable list.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 24, 2014

OUCH!

26. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2014

Friday night I spent approx. $125 on school supplies for my child. All of them were on the list. Not lying. I can post the receipt if you'd like. This, in my opinion, is ridiculous. But, I didn't want to be "that parent," especially since I work at the same school that he attends. :)

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

I started the year with 205, but now I'm down to 181. It is so much nicer now. You can breathe in my classroom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.