Not-actually-over Over

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 9, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 9, 2016

Well, I think today made it official. I'm done with the school year and so are the kids. Over the weekend I bought them all cheap markers at the Scholastic warehouse sale... and actually gave them to the kiddos. And let them color. I didn't bother to make spelling words. What shall the next 12 days bring!

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 9, 2016

We still have 25 days left. I'm gearing down, but I can't afford to just let go at this point. The kids are done with the school year and are frustrated that I'm not letting them be done. LOL. So many exasperated groans and sighs every time I enthusiastically introduce a new lesson.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 9, 2016

Same here...we are closing in on the end of the new content, but I am still giving homework, quizzes, tests, and projects right up until the bitter end, even for my seniors!

Peregrin5 likes this.
  5. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

May 9, 2016

33 days left but only 19 with my seniors. They have a packet of work that goes with the book they're reading.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2016

TRYING to get my students started on a major research project due at the end of next week. My hopes, they are not high.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 9, 2016

My kids are doing this too. It drives me nuts!

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 9, 2016

So glad I'm not alone in this!!

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 9, 2016

I feel like I'm repeating tons of first-week instructions, and homework is waning quite a bit in getting turned in, but we're going full-on until the end. State testing 2 weeks and 3 weeks from now, and outside of that, tons of stuff to fit in. I'm having to take this last math unit and do some creative splicing together of sections to fit it in before testing...and will be having to put in plenty of SS during the afternoons of testing and in the final couple weeks!

(And as excited, naturally, as I am to have a couple months of relaxation and actual time with my wife, as well as more opportunities to actually deep plan the year and rework many things that didn't work as well as I wanted this year....I'm seriously going to miss this group. I may or may not have teared up a bit when they sent out previews of the memory book pictures :))

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 9, 2016

Gah! Isn't that the worst?! Even the kids who normally listen have been terrible about following directions.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 9, 2016

Yep...back to having to remind to work quietly every 5 minutes...oy!

12. ChemCoastie

ChemCoastie Rookie

May 9, 2016

We still have about 6 weeks left, but I can feel the students slowly slipping away. We are having our last, major unit, then we will move into space, which the students are super, super excited about. Always a good one to wind the year down with.

Backroads likes this.
  13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 9, 2016

I'm assigning one for the last two weeks of school, and it's going to be worth a LOT of points. LOL.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 10, 2016

We go right until the end of June (last day for students is June 29th). We have lots going on--a couple of trips, Track and Field Day, a PD Day, etc).I still have a couple of big math units to cover and there will be a major assignment from the Geography teacher. Keeping them focused in Literacy will be tough--going to do some media studies and an independent writing assignment.

15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 10, 2016

I am really thankful for our Senior Project which requires a community presentation the last week of May -- it's keeping most of them at least somewhat present. It will mean being at school until 9pm for three days in a row, though...but then we're basically done!

Backroads likes this.
  16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 10, 2016

We have had two straight days of big kids testing. This means us kinders are cooped up in our classrooms for most of the day with no breaks. It's been rough. We have the rest of the week. A 3 day weekend and when we come back next week I six weeks test one day and then we have 1/2 day on Friday. Then we have the final week which is a complete mess of things. We go until Thursday that week. I am so freaking over the school year. Can't wait for May 26!!!!

17. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

May 11, 2016

We are almost done 6 days of school, then finals. They are done and I am done!

18. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 11, 2016

6 days here.

They're not swinging from the lights...yet. We've been earning a lot of extra recess time. =]

19. faithmoore

faithmoore New Member

May 12, 2016

My kids are also doing the same.