Not a question, just need to rant a bit.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Dec 17, 2014.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 17, 2014

I've been subbing for a few months now. I've had a few classes that were just crazy, but today is a first. I've been subbing this class since Monday and while the class hasn't been super great, the "trouble" kids have been pretty ok.

Today though, I told two students they owed me an extra minute at recess for taking WAY too long in the bathroom (I warned them ahead of time that this would be the consequence because if I don't time them they take FOREVER). So anyway, I told these two boys that because they were playing in the bathroom. One of the boys was one of the behavior kids that I need to write a note for his mom every day. He got mad and as we're walking back into the room I hear him mutter, "I'm going to punch the teacher. Mean teachers, meanie substitute." And other rude things. I turn and look at him, and say, "Do you need to go to the office?" He said yes, and I'm like "Yeah, I think so too. That's not ok." So I'm writing the office referral (which I've never done before -- I don't really like sending kids to the office because I feel it reflects badly on my classroom management), and he is STILL making rude comments! "Hurry up! Come ooooon."
    I'm just like... EXCUSE ME?! This is a second grader!! I've never ever had a kid be THAT rude to me. I know I'm a substitute and I've had kids just flat out ignore me, but holy cow.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 17, 2014

Oppositional defiance, concern over what consequence mom may hand out, and being in second grade - take your pick - it all adds up to bad choices and poor ability to think through the situation. I would be SO much more worried if we were talking a HS student behaving the same way, and yes, I do see this at the HS level, and worse, much worse. Be very grateful that there was no physical violence to contend with. Sorry, a rant of my own.

That's the kind of day that I have had, too!

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 17, 2014

I'm REALLY glad it wasn't a high schooler. With a second grader it's just rude -- I'm not worried about him actually punching me (or it actually hurting if he did). If a high schooler said that I'd be a little worried for my safety (especially because I look like a high schooler and most of them are a LOT bigger than me). I've just never had a student be so angry at me that they're having violent thoughts. This class is falling apart today and I can't figure out what's happening. Another student just started hitting his neighbor with a pencil box. Is it the full moon or is this normal end-of-the-semester behavior? @_@

5. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

You actually had me checking to see if it was a full moon, but it looks like that won't happen until the 21st. :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 17, 2014

For some of the older students, it is just too much pressure this time of year. Adults struggle with the holidays, and teens in particular are even less well equipped to handle the stress. Add parental expectations, grades, after school activities, including jobs, and it is not so much of a surprise that they act out, but why we don't expect it more. Many students and their families won't have the picture perfect holiday they see in the media, so they are being set up for disappointment and that often triggers anger. I can understand how we got here, but it doesn't always make the outcome more palatable. Ho Ho Ho - and I need a long winter's nap! ;)

7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Dec 17, 2014

I would say there are several 2nd graders at my school like this. I would have held him the entire recess and THEN sent him to the office, just to show him you are in control of the situation. Otherwise, I think you handled it fine.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2014

Second grade? yeah, wouldn't be getting upset about bathroom time which escalated to sending to office for this.:(

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

If you know that two kiddos are going to cause trouble together, you shouldn't send them to the bathroom together. With younger children, I've found it to be easiest to have an opposite-gender student go to the bathroom.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 17, 2014

It was a whole class bathroom break, I wouldn't have sent both of them to the bathroom at once otherwise (if they're leaving the room for the bathroom I do only send one boy and one girl at a time because of this exact issue). These two just happened to take the longest at the end because they were playing in the boys' room. The consequence of owing me the minutes they went over on time was told to them yesterday and today, so they knew ahead of time not to play around. I didn't expect it to make him that angry since he was fine the past two days. It was just really shocking to hear a 2nd grader say something so rude toward a teacher, even if I am a sub and not their regular teacher. I expect a certain lack of regard for instructions as a sub -- I don't expect outright rudeness like that.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

Whole class bathroom break makes sense. As it gets closer to break, the horde will get more and more restless (and unpredictable). My kiddo with anger issues has had a good week... and then at dismissal he kicked something right in the nose. Sigh...

I don't want to say you should let things slide... but if something like that happens tomorrow, and a student says something rude, you may want to at least consider pretending that you didn't hear him.

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 17, 2014

I'm not subbing tomorrow haha. This job was Monday through today.
    Honestly... if he'd just been muttering about "stupid, mean teachers" I would have ignored it. It was the "I'm going to punch the teacher" that sealed the deal, and honestly... if he'd stayed he probably would have punched another student, which is something he did last time I subbed this class. Like I said, it just is crazy to me to see kids that young so angry, especially over something like that.

13. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Dec 17, 2014

UGH! I got called the b-word the other day (by an 8th grader, but still). I know I should let it slide, but stuff like that frustrates me. I feel you!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2014

There are so many threads on here where people say they think that kids haven't changed much over time. I can't imagine anyone threatening a teacher or calling him/her a name when I was a kid - or even 10 years ago.

15. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 18, 2014

Those kids were usually in an alternative setting. That almost takes an act of Congress and a miracle to happen anymore.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 18, 2014

I grew up in a small, rural setting... and I remember saying some pretty vile things about my teachers, as did my classmates. Of course, none of us would have dared actually say them loud enough for the teachers to hear.