Not a pressing matter but...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gab, Aug 16, 2008.

1. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

When you need a pick me up, what does it for you? I plan to secret pal my staff this year...various people at various times. In years past I have chosen an under appreciated person to try to boost all year. I want to do more for more.

So, if you were feeling overwhelmed, out of sorts, stressed, tired, unappreciated, or can have your day made, what would be nice to receive? I'm looking for suggestions of things I can make, do, or buy(not too expensive) that I can give teachers throughout the year.

Thanks for any ideas!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2008

Food :lol:

I few Hershey Hugs and I am happy :)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 16, 2008

A heartfelt note would mean more to me than just about any "gift" item. Just finding a note in my box saying that someone noticed something good or appreciated my efforts would make me smile all day!

5. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

dark chocolate!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

Wow, you have a big heart. I'm thankful for you!

I don't know what pick me up I'd want. But the idea that you want to pick people up makes me feel all happy :)

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 16, 2008

I love getting notes telling me how much I'm appreciated....a hug, a card. Oh...and dark chocolate of course :p

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

Caffeine

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I agree with the caffeine!!! Coffee always goes a long way in my book.

10. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 17, 2008

Ummm... OK. This isn't really about me. I call it staff morale.

I would go out my door, sneak down the hallway, open a colleague's door, throw in a rubber chicken (I had two) and yell "Chicken!" :D

Now don't blast me. To a one the teachers found this hilarious AND they got me back big time.

11. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I have got to try that!!!

12. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

My school librarian would write a note to our students every once in a while about different things. I thought it was great because it usually complimented them, which in turn, made my day go better.

My favorite up-lifter was another staff memeber that defaced my bulletin board. Neither one of us took our bulletin boards too seriously. The other teacher took down their tacky stuff and put it on mine and it cracked me up. It went back and forth for some time.

I like to do homemade banana bread/cookies/etc. for people. A box of Frozen treats (popsicles) for a grade band during lunch. A homemade card. Offer to read a book to their class (during your break).

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

Putting food in the staff lounge or office to share is nice for a whole-staff sort of thing. (Barring food allergies, diet restrictions, of course.)

A note really is the best. Something you noticed about someone or appreciate. Anonymous is fun because when they have no idea where it came from they may start feeling more goodwill towards everyone.

I am going to try this year to remember birthdays and acknowledge them someone. I was thinking maybe with a single flower or something like that.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2008

When I know that someone has had a particularly bad day or if someone has gone out of their way to help me I'll often slip a couple of chocolates into their mailbox (sometimes I leave a note, but sometimes not). I love the rubber chicken idea, although some teachers I work with wouldn't appreciate the disruption. I think that we all need to have some fun and that it's great for the students to see us being a little silly and "playing" sometimes. I think I'll have to invest in a chicken--I know just who my first "victim" will be!

15. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Have you ever been "Ghost"ed or "Boo"ed at Halloween? You put a picture of a ghost on the front door along with a little goodie of some sort and a note explaining how it works. I started this same sort of thing at school last year for Valentine's day. I gave two teachers a little treat, a picture of Cupid for their door and a note explaining that they should do the same for someone else. It was fun to walk around the building and slowly see Cupids showing up on all of the classroom doors. No one ever found out that I started it! You might try something like this. Then everyone gets involved in the fun.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

Milk chocolate works for me! I also like the "ghosted" idea. We did that one year. We also do a Secret Santa.

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

Just the knowledge that someone notices how much they do, will be a huge pick me up. Add a silly little poem, a piece of candy, maybe an item from the dollar store, and you've got a happy friend.

18. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Last year was a particularly rough year for me. That being said, I was amazed at how much more in tune I was to other people's bad days. Or maybe it was just wanting to do something because I really wanted someone to help me out! I would leave chocolates in certain people's boxes (those I knew weren't dieting) and notes in others or tape it to their door. (that really surprised them that they didn't notice who it was!) Other days I would leave a note or email them first thing in the am to say "I hope you have a great day!"

The same sorts of things work for me.

19. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

Write a nice note and then offer to take one of their recess duties. A little free time is ALWAYS appreciated.

20. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 17, 2008

A nice note, chocolate, a soda, or cute teacher notepad. The recess duty sounds awesome! I'll have to try it.

21. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

I love those notes saying how well I did and give a specific example, especially if it's on a notecard or those silly certificates. I keep them all!

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I like the "ghosted" idea! We always do Secret Santa...getting a little note or a surprise in your mailbox is always exciting.
    One day I was at school late and one of my grade-level partners had to leave early because she was having home issues...so when I went to make my copies, I made hers as well. When she got there in the morning and they were on her desk, she was so happy...it was just one less thing she had to worry about. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it just proves that the little things make a big impact!

23. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

Come on down and be on my campus! What a great idea.

24. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Since food can be problematic, how about a scratch off lotto ticket. Their fun, cheap and fat free!

You're one in a million?

25. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Thanks for all the ideas...I am looking forward to spreading some cheer! More ideas welcome!