Not a Normal Week!!

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by txteach2b, Apr 25, 2009.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

I didn't get to see my afternoon classes all week except for Monday! I was pulled to sub for:

Tues: Computers
    Wed: History, Sp. Ed. Math
    Thur: History, Science, Art
    Fri: English

The one Friday was really crazy.....the teacher had turned in an Absent from Duty form last week. The principal didn't come across it until the bell had rang to end 3rd period. This teacher didn't have a class 2nd, but his 1st and 3rd period classes went unsupervised. Here's the kicker....the students in 1st submitted attendance to the office and didn't tell anyone there wasn't a teacher! Of course they wouldn't!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2009

But to their credit, if they took attendance and were quiet enough that no one noticed there wasn't a teacher, they were probably pretty well behaved.

4. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

Yeah, it didn't surprise me when I heard that. This class was Pre-AP or AP English, and the teacher is fantastic, so most of his classes are well behaved. I only had problems with one of his classes. The class he warned me about was actually pretty quiet!!

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 30, 2009

It seems unfair that they pull you to sub. You should get paid for that. Do you?

6. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 15, 2009

No, I don't get paid to do it. I count it as a learning experience in classroom management. I just graduated and I'm looking for my own classroom. Usually, when we're pulled to sub, it's either because the teacher has to be out one or two classes, or they're short on subs that day. I've been doing this for 3 years, now, and it's worse in the spring than the fall.